  • sottovoice
    Message 1 of 83 , Apr 1, 2002
      Happy Monday and Good Morning!

      We're at Paragraph 3 on page 64 - "Resentment is the number one
      offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else". Again we
      see it isn't necessarily booze that destroys us, but resentment.
      Resentment was a word that I was unfamiliar with when I came to AA.
      It comes from the Greek "Re" = again and "Senteri" = to feel. It
      means to re-feel old feelings. An example of which is when we run
      into someone who said something nasty to us six months ago - we
      seethe with the anger as if the statement was made to us this
      morning. Alcoholics seem to store all this stuff within and it makes
      for a disconcerting individual. Step 4 is where we begin to deal with
      these resentments by putting them down on paper. This is the first of
      several lists we will make in connection to Step 4.

      "In dealing with resentments, we set them down on paper. We listed
      people, institutions (perhaps the police or the DMV) or principles
      (10 Commandments, etc.) with whom we were angry." We begin our 4th
      Step by writing out a list of resenments. Our list will be comprised
      of 5 columns. On the left hand column we list all of those
      resentments first, we'll worry about the other four columns later
      once we have written out our list. We think back over our lives and
      think about how we would feel if we ran into Mr. or Ms. ______. If
      our second grade teacher, Mrs. Crabtree, called us lazy or stupid in
      front of the class and we were ashamed of it and we would be angry if
      we saw her we write her name down. If my lazy ass brother dropped by
      would I resent his presence? My boss, do I resent her? My ex-wife? My
      Mother? The police? College professors? Drill Sargeant? The auto
      mechanic who ripped me off? My neighbor? The guy who made a pass at my
      wife?

      Once we are done listing everyone we will begin filling out the next
      column: "The Cause". Next to each name we list what they did to cause
      me to become angry. We go down and write it out for each individual.
      (Page 65 is a great place for tips).

      We'll go through the last three columns tomorrow.

      Message 83 of 83 , Jan 20, 2015

        Good morning everyone!

        We're at Paragraph 3 on page 64 -
        "Resentment is the number one
        offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else."
        Again we
        see it isn't necessarily booze that destroys us, but resentment.

        Resentment was a word that I was unfamiliar with when I came to AA.
        It means to re-feel old feelings. An example of resentment is when
        we run into someone who said something nasty to us six months ago;
        if we seethe with the anger as if the statement was made to us this
        morning, we have resentment.

        Alcoholics seem to store all this stuff within and it makes for a
        disconcerting individual. Step 4 is where we begin to deal with these
        resentments by putting them down on paper. This is the first of four
        lists we will make in connection with Step 4.

        "In dealing with resentments, we set them down on paper. We listed
        people, institutions
        (perhaps the police or the DMV) or principles
        (10 Commandments, etc.) with whom we were angry."

        We begin our 4th Step by writing out a list of resentments. Our list
        will be comprised of 5 columns. On the left hand column we list all
        of those resentments first. We'll continue with the other four
        columns later once we have written out our first-column list. We
        think back over our lives and think about how we would feel if we
        ran into Mr. or Ms. ______. If our second grade teacher, Miss
        Crabtree, called us lazy or stupid in front of the class and we were
        ashamed of it and we begin to experience old anger when thinking of
        her we write her name down. If my lazy ass brother dropped by would
        I resent his presence? My boss, do I resent her? My ex-wife? My
        mother? The police? College professors? Drill Sargeant? The auto
        mechanic who ripped me off? My neighbor? The guy who made a pass at
        my wife? And what about God -- do I resent Him?

        Once we are done listing everyone we will begin filling out the next
        column: "The Cause." Next to each name we list what they did to
        cause me to become angry. We move from the top of the list to the
        bottom, and write out the cause for each resentment. (Page 65 is a
        great place for tips.)

        We'll go through the last three columns in our next post.

        Weekend Big Book Studies with Jim - visit: