Re: Big Book Study - Post #12

  • gbgopher
    Message 1 of 4679 , Jan 1, 2002
      actually raymond, our defense comes from God (or
      Higher Power). He is the buffer between us and alcohol.
      Our state of sobriety is dependant upon our spiritual
      condition, our contact with God. However, working with other
      alcoholics is doing God's work on earth which therefore
      brings us closer to Him and strengthens our
      foundation.<br><br>So, yes, working with others is a key part of
      sobriety, but it all ties back to our connection with
      Message 4679 of 4679 , Oct 27

        Good morning!

        We can gain some insight into the writing of the book through an examination of the original text (pre-publication "Multilith") in conjunction with the text as printed in the first edition.

        Keep in mind, there were more or less two camps within AA at the time Bill wrote the book. The Akron/Cleveland camp was Bible based and religious in nature; the New York bunch was more psychological using a mental approach to gain the confidence of the newcomer and then hitting him with the spiritual angle. Sounds like a difficult task to write a book that would satisfy both trains of thought.

        Most of the changes involved inserting "we" for "you" and making the text more inclusive and less like a sermon. Other changes involved key words that were inserted to change the basic meaning of the phrases.

        Today and in our next post, we will go through the first three pages of Chapter 5 to illustrate how the book was transformed by these changes. The words that were replaced will appear in [brackets] following the words or phrases by which they were replaced.

        Page 58:

        Paragraph 1 -
        "Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path [directions]."

        "They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living [way of life] which demands rigorous honesty."

        Paragraph 2 - "
        If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it - then you are ready to take certain steps [follow directions]."

        Paragraph 3 -
        "At some of these we balked [you may balk]. We thought [You may think] we could find an easier, softer way. But we could not
        [We doubt you can]."

        Paragraph 4 -
        "Remember we deal [you are dealing] with alcohol - cunning, baffling, powerful! Without help it is too much for us [you]. But there is One who has all power - that One is God. May you [You must]
        find Him now!"

        We'll continue with paragraph 1 on page 59 and into the original written text of the 12 Steps with our next post.

        Have a great day!

        Jim K. - The Into Action Group of Manhattan
        6:30pm Wednesdays at St. Francis De Sales Church
        135 East 96th Street (Near Lexington Avenue)
        On Manhattan's Upper East Side

        Weekend retreats with Jim: http://www.spiritualawakeningsretreats.com

        www.spiritualawakeningsretreats.com
        Let Jim lead your group retreat. Growing your understanding of spiritual topics including in-depth studies of AA's basic text - the Big Book; Emmet Fox's "The Sermon ...

        The Wilson House – The Birthplace of Bill Wilson - Weekend Retreats and Workshops -http://www.wilsonhouse.org/

        www.wilsonhouse.org
        Tax-exempt, non-profit organization offering tours, dining or nightly stays at the historic home of Bill Wilson, founder of Alcoholics Anonymous.