Docs Prescribe Bike Lessons!

  • Lauren Cooper
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2004
      Doctors prescribe bike lessons:
      Patients can have cycling lessons
      (from the BBC)

      Bristol doctors are prescribing cycling lessons to patients with diabetes
      and other health problems.
      Gentle exercise like riding a bike can help diabetics by regulating levels
      of sugar in the blood and keep the potentially debilitating condition
      stable.
      And now doctors in the city are encouraging patients with a range of health
      problems including diabetes to take part in free cycling lessons to help
      them get fit safely. The Health on Wheels project has so far helped 40
      people who have been referred by their GPs.

      The cycling course costs �120 per person, but is paid for by the Department
      of Health, not the patients themselves.
      Project co-ordinator Phillippa Royle said: "We've had patients who have had
      heart attacks, heart surgery, and it has really improved their quality of
      life.
      "We have also worked with people with mental health as well as physical
      health issues."

      Anneke van Eijkern is one of those taking part in the scheme - she gave up
      cycling years ago because she did not feel safe in the saddle. But thanks
      to the course she is now confident enough to cycle to work - and keep
      healthy at the same time.

      Ms van Eijkern, a diabetic, said: "My consultant recommended that exercise
      would help to control my condition, because at first my blood-sugar levels
      were very up and down. "I am amazed at how much the course has improved my
      confidence."

      more from the BBC at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/3077980.stm

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools