Re: Speed cameras in the USA?

  • Stanley Batt
    Message 1 of 87 , Dec 15 8:51 AM
      Chris wrote:
      The statement of study results you quoted raises
      serious doubt on the quality of the study performed.
      If anyone knows of a link which provides the study
      protocol for review, then those on the list should
      look at it. Until then, the information provided thus
      far, makes it look like junk science.

      SB:
      I am glad to read that there is at least one other
      list participant who is not bedazzled by factoids and
      Internet snippets of statistics offered up as proof or
      evidence of anything related to safety, especially
      bicycle safety. In addition, the relationship to
      bicycle safety or bicycle advocacy, of the alleged
      correlation of 55 vis-�-vis 75 mph maximum speed
      limits and increased motorist fatalities, escapes me.

      The recent discussions of preferred names to disparage
      those who are not on the same bicycling consciousness
      wave length as the posters, and the repeated
      references to logically impaired interpretations of
      "safety statistics" made me think I was reading one
      of the bicycling lists that Ken Kifer left in disgust
      when he formed this list.

      Stanley Batt

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • w. r. niere
      Message 87 of 87 , Dec 28 3:08 PM
        Doug,
        If you are a long time customer, consider talking to the manager about
        it. Even if you can't get them to amend the drive up policy
        you might be able to convince them that keeping you as a customer is
        worth a bike parking rack by the entrance.
        I use auto deposit, and would ride up to the ATM for cash withdrawls.
        After a brief discussion with the bank manager about losing
        a 25 year customer, they stopped gripeing at me. Of course, I live about
        11 miles from the bank now, so I don't show up there everyday.

        Ranj

        Doug wrote:

        >Your lucky to have such an understanding bank Fred..my bank refuses
        >to wait on me even if I do go to the closest window with the drawer.
        >--Doug A.
        >
        >--- In bicyclingadvocacy@yahoogroups.com, Fred Meredith <bikin-
        >fred@m...> wrote:
        >

        >>I've never had a problem at any bank drive up window and since I
        >>

        >have
        >

        >>a business account, I ride up to the "commercial" window which is
        >>usually the closest and has a drawer instead of a pneumatic tube. I
        >>always get a smile (hell, I'm 62 so I get profiled as a geezer and

        >>cyclist).
        >>
        >>I have also found no problems at the fast photo places or in paying
        >>my utility bill at the coop drive through.
        >>
        >>My only problem is one of designed exclusion. [Here I have to admit
        >>to eating real junk food so remember that we are talking about
        >>

        >equal
        >

        >>opportunity for service or equal treatment and not what is good for
        >>you gastronomically.] So, anyway, McDonald's in just about every
        >>configuration I have visited has the ordering station
        >>(microphone/speaker and menu) out of sight of the person actually
        >>taking orders so that they only know someone is there if the sensor
        >>is set off. Unfortunately, a bicycle just won't cut it. So, you can
        >>talk to that grillwork all you want to and not get an answer.
        >>
        >>I have cheated the system before by encouraging a car to pull up as
        >>close as possible or until the "Can I take your order" voice is
        >>heard. Then I have given my order and followed the instructions to
        >>pull around to the first window to pay. The headphoned money taker
        >>

        >is
        >

        >>always surprised, but none have ever told me that I couldn't be
        >>served since by then my order is in the system and my money is in
        >>

        >my
        >

        >>outstretched hand.
        >>
        >>In my city (Austin, Texas) I have heard that Wendy's gives flak to
        >>cyclists and some other places as well, but I guess I just haven't
        >>ever felt like challenging that information.
        >>
        >>One of these days when I really need a confrontational article for
        >>the local cycling newspaper, I'll try a few drive through windows
        >>

        >and
        >

        >>start a dialogue with a few of the good, the bad and the ugly if
        >>

        >they
        >

        >>appear.
        >>
        >>Does anybody on this list have the definitive response in writing
        >>from an institution that refused service to a cyclist at a drive up
        >>window? Letters and such are probably the best ammunition for
        >>fighting such discrimination.
        >>
        >>Fred Meredith
        >>Southwest Cycling News
        >>Austin, Texas

        >>>I've had drive-through bank tellers ask me to please come into the
        >>>lobby "next time." I've only biked through drive-through lanes at
        >>>

        >fast
        >

        >>>food places a couple of times -- usually I go inside.

> [...]

        "Patriotism means to stand by the country.
        It does not mean to stand by the President or any other public official
        save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country."

        -Theodore Roosevelt