Ken's death

  • RIIN GILL
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 15, 2003
      On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 Rockitman8@... wrote:

      > I live in north alabama and our local bike club message board
      > received this this morning. As follows:
      >

      > I am a neighbor of Ken Kifer, and thought the bike world would like to
      > know
      > > that he was killed last nite by a drunken motorist about 6 miles from his
      > > home. In reading his web pages tonight for the first time, I found his
      > link
      > > to your site, and thought someone there might like to know.
      >
      > I called the the alabama state troopers office and they verified that
      > ken had indeed been killed.

      I read this and thought maybe it was some sort of cruel hoax. But Ken had
      emailed me Saturday morning and said he finally had the problems with his
      ISP worked out and he'd be sending me some messages later that day or the
      next. They never came. I called his sister. It's true. Ken was hit
      Saturday night. He died Sunday.

      Ken was one of the best friends I've ever had. I can't even describe how
      much I'll miss him. I feel like one of my arms has been ripped off.

      I can't even think straight right now. I'm going home.

      Riin Gill
      Interlibrary Loan 734-615-6168
      Taubman Medical Library fax 734-763-1473
      University of Michigan
      If you were riding your bike, you'd be having fun by now.
    • Darrell Noakes
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 15, 2003
        This is a very sad day. I never met Ken in person, but I always looked
        forward to his posts (on newsgroups and his Web site) and felt that they
        enriched my life. Whenever I hear of anyone - cyclist or not - killed or
        injured by a drunken driver, I am enraged by the news.

        --
        Darrell Noakes
        Saskatoon, SK CANADA

        > Ken was one of the best friends I've ever had. I can't even describe how
        > much I'll miss him. I feel like one of my arms has been ripped off.
        >
        > I can't even think straight right now. I'm going home.
      • RichardMasoner
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15, 2003
          RIIN GILL wrote:

          > I can't even think straight right now. I'm going home.

          I am stunned. This is a great loss.

          :-(

          RFM
        • bob.bayn@usu.edu
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 15, 2003
            >> I am a neighbor of Ken Kifer, and thought the bike world would like to
            >> know
            >> > that he was killed last nite by a drunken motorist about 6 miles from his
            >> > home.

            Riin replied, and confirmed:
            >I read this and thought maybe it was some sort of cruel hoax. ...

            I, too, thought and hoped that we were being duped
            and am stunned to learn otherwise. Ken was a great
            influence for reason and moderation. He provided
            encouragement and assistance for my Spanish-translation
            project. I was disappointed that his trip west wasn't
            going to get him close enough to Utah so that I could
            meet him. We agreed that there'd be future opportunities
            for our bikes to cross paths. My condolences to his
            family, and to us.
          • Stanley Batt
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 15, 2003
              Bob's eulogy for Ken is wonderful and expresses my
              feelings towards Ken too. Ken was a beacon of light
              helping us all find our way through reason and clear
              thinking. He was always the gentleman. This is agreat
              loss for us all.

              Stanley Batt
              --- bob.bayn@... wrote:
              > >> I am a neighbor of Ken Kifer, and thought
              > the bike world would like to
              > >> know
              > motorist about 6 miles from his
              >
              > Riin replied, and confirmed:
              > >I read this and thought maybe it was some sort of
              > cruel hoax. ...
              >
              > I, too, thought and hoped that we were being duped
              > and am stunned to learn otherwise. Ken was a great
              > influence for reason and moderation. He provided
              > encouragement and assistance for my
              > Spanish-translation
              > project. I was disappointed that his trip west
              > wasn't
              > going to get him close enough to Utah so that I
              > could
              > meet him. We agreed that there'd be future
              > opportunities
              > for our bikes to cross paths. My condolences to his
              > family, and to us.

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • bobalinga
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 17, 2003
                I've just heard.
                I never met Ken but his website introducd me to the world of cycling.

                This is just awful :-(

                Shyrley