Re: [Bicycle Commuting] Re: Commuting - Flat Bar Bike Advice

  • Michael Bell
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
      Any suggetions for a lesser expensive model? Currently I ride into work with a Giant OCR, I'm looking for something as an alternative. I agree with the flat bars, after a while my back feels it... Also any suggetion for tires? Mainly flat path and street usage. Thanks.

      David A de Gruyl <david@...> wrote: * on [06-05-31 14:04] Sauerwald Mark wrote:
      >The Kyoto 2 looks a lot like the Breezer Uptown 8,
      >except that the Breezer uses the 8 speed Nexus hub,
      >rather than the 7 speed in the Kyoto.

      Yeah, and the breezer costs ~$850. The head and taillights are also
      terrific on the breezer (I have them).

      Another candidate for the "If I needed a fourth bike...", which I do
      not.

      --
      David de Gruyl New Brunswick, NJ
      It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Please do not reply to this message via email. More information here:
      http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/messages/messages-23.html

    • David A de Gruyl
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
        * on [06-06-01 13:43] Michael Bell wrote:
        >Any suggetions for a lesser expensive model? Currently I ride into
        >work with a Giant OCR, I'm looking for something as an alternative. I
        >agree with the flat bars, after a while my back feels it... Also any
        >suggetion for tires? Mainly flat path and street usage. Thanks.

        Perhaps the flat bars are not the solution that you think they are.
        Often the problem is handlebars that are too low. Drop bars offer more
        hand positions, and (for me at least) are more comfortable.

        Now, I do not know of a less expensive bike with all these features. At
        $650 the Fuji is dirt cheap. On most bikes, you end up putting a fair
        ammount of money in with lighting, racks, fenders and such. Plus, you
        get the feeling that the bike is intelligently designed.

        My suggestion is to consider a used touring bike (if you can find one)
        or a used hardtailed / rigid mountain bike. Of course hartail mountain
        bikes are getting scarce as well. There are probably no new rigid
        mountain bikes.

        The advantage of the touring bike is that it is designed for all the
        amenities: racks, fenders, larger tires, higher handlebars. THe
        disadvantage is the cost or finding them. Commuting (City) bikes are
        even more rare in the US. The Fuji and Breezer models are newish, and
        unlikely to be found used.

        If you can locate an (old) english 3-speed, that might be a good bike to
        use for commuting.

        For tires, I really like Panaracer Pasela Tourguard tires. I hear good
        things about the Schwalbe Marathons, but have no experience there. I
        have 32mm Avocet Cross II tires (may be labeled 35, I am not sure right
        now) with an inverted tread on them that were okay both on and off road,
        but the tread really does very little for where I ride.

        --
        David de Gruyl <david@...> New Brunswick, NJ
        "If I can bicycle, I bicycle." - David Attenborough
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
          * on [06-06-01 13:43] Michael Bell wrote:

          > Also any
          > suggetion for tires? Mainly flat path and street usage. Thanks.

          I have always had good luck with Continental Ultra Gatorskins. The front
          tire on my bike has 6500Kms on it without a flat. I pinch flatted the
          back one once by letting the tire pressure drop too low. The tire has a
          Kevlar armor belt under the tread and reinforced sidewalls to provide
          protection. As a 300+ lb rider I have put these tires under a lot of
          stress with 110psi pressures and a four season all weather commute on
          rough roads. I had some custom wheels built using 36 spoke XT hubs and
          Ambrosio Evolution rims. I have had them for two years and they have
          only needed to be trued once.

          Matt
        • John
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006

            > My suggestion is to consider a used touring bike (if you can find
            one)
            > or a used hardtailed / rigid mountain bike. Of course hartail
            mountain
            > bikes are getting scarce as well. There are probably no new rigid
            > mountain bikes.
            >
            > The advantage of the touring bike is that it is designed for all the
            > amenities: racks, fenders, larger tires, higher handlebars. THe
            > disadvantage is the cost or finding them. Commuting (City) bikes
            are
            > even more rare in the US. The Fuji and Breezer models are newish,
            and
            > unlikely to be found used.

            I absolutly agree with this statement....I commute on my old Centurion
            Pro Tour 15...bought in 1984....lots of upgrades since then and the
            steel frame just makes it the sweetest ride I have...(I have four
            bikes, a carbon road, a hardtail mountan and a full suspension
            mountan) and by far the old steely is my nicest bike to cruise on. I
            have the flat bars with bar ends and it works for me...I like it that
            way....I am 205 pounds, it has 36spoke rims and I have NEVER broken a
            spoke....touring or commuting.....find a nice steel frame touring bike
            and put a few nice upgraded parts on it and you will have a solid,
            great handling bike. John