Flood chronolgy

  • alex.masterley
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2008
      I have a number of questions about the Genesis Flood chronology and
      would be grateful for advice on the more notable scholarly opinions on
      the subject.

      First, has any major scholar considered that the *story* of the Flood
      begins, not on Day 17 of Month 2 of Year 600, but at some point in
      Month 1? I raise this because (a) Genesis 7:6 says "Noah was six
      hundred years old when the Flood of waters came upon the earth"; and
      (b) if you take the first month of year 600 as the starting point,
      then the elapsed time till the Ark rests on the mountain-tops is six
      months, (the 150 days of the rising waters equaling five 30-day
      months); this, plus Month 7 in which the Ark "rests" on the mountains,
      makes up a seven-month cycle mirroring the 7-day creation-cycle of
      Genesis 1. The period from (and including) Month 7 of Year 600 to
      Month 2 of Year 601 then makes up another seven-month period in which
      the earth is recreated, again in line with Genesis 1.

      Please note that I'm well aware of the function of the Flood narrative
      as a recapitulation of the creation narrative: what I'm interested in
      here is the chronology, as I haven't been able to discover anyone who
      starts the count with Month 1, which gives this lovely mirror of the
      seven days of Gen. 1. The mirroring goes even further, in fact: if
      Month 2, when the Flood itself begins, is intended as the equivalent
      of Day 2, then it signifies that "de-creation" has extended back to
      the day on which the firmament was put in place to separate the waters
      above from the waters below: in Month 2 the firmament is breached and
      the waters are allowed to combine once again.

      Second, what's the meaning of the Flood beginning on the 17th day of
      the month, and the ark resting on the mountains also on the 17th? What
      was special about the 17th? It might make sense if the Sabbath were
      involved in some way, but I can't see that it is.

      If you can provide any references I'd be most grateful.

      AM.