Non-Kosher Replica Dead Sea Scroll

  • funhistory
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2013
      I recently saw a small Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit that included a lengthwise scroll labeled "Replica DSS" even though it looks like modern block Hebrew to me. All the images I've seen (including a cursory search of Google images) show the real scrolls written such that they would unroll left-to-right, not top-to-bottom. In fact I wonder if any modern Hebrew scrolls are even written such that they unroll top-to-bottom. Does any list member know of any actual DSSs that were written in this orientation?

      Another unusual characteristic of this replica was that it was unrolled to show 3 stitched sections, & the middle one was upside-down relative to the others. That seems real unlikely since my understanding is that the scrolls were manufactured/stitched first, & then written upon so this couldn't happen.

      I suspect that this is a poorly researched, non-Jewish handmade replica, but it would be nice to hear from someone who has studied DSS in depth. If anyone's curious, I can go back & get a hi-res photo to upload.

      G.M. Grena
      www.LMLK.org
    • funhistory
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2013
        Thanks to the moderators for offline responses. The scroll is extremely weird, being Hebrew gibberish/mumbo-jumbo, randomized words/letters rather than a DSS copy. Not even a modern OT copy! Poorly curated exhibit by college students, but interesting nonetheless. Photos & links to 44-minute video of the entire museum available on my most-recent blog entry (including TOC so you can skip to sections of interest).

        G.M. Grena
        lmlk.blogspot.com
        lmlk.wordpress.com