Re: [biblicalist] Numbers Show Antiquity of Patriarchal Narratives

  • Norman Cohn
    Message 1 of 64 , Jan 4, 2013
      Jim,

      I'll avoid giving a lengthy reply in order to comply with the moderator's wish that this thread be closed.

      Let me just say that I've just subscribed to the b-hebrew list and found out that Yigal Levin had already addressed your point and thoroughly rebuked it. And Yigal's reply is way better than mine. He wrote to you:

      "Get a better map. While it's true that Beer-sheba is in a depression and the ground does rise to the south, if one goes almost due west, along the Nahal (stream/wadi) Beer-sheva, which eventually flows into the Nahal Besor, one eventually reaches the Mediterranean near Gaza. As far as I know, water only flows downstream. So that if Gerar is anywhere along the Besor or its tributaries (one of which is now called Nahal Gerar, but that's not proof of anything), which is where Gerar is assumed to be. So yes, anyone going from Gerar to Beer-sheba in the Negeb would be going UP."

      So I think that this pretty much ends the discussion.

      Best regards,
      Norman Cohn
      SP - Brazil

    • richfaussette
      Message 64 of 64 , Jan 8, 2013
        --- In biblicalist@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Shepherd" wrote:

        > This thread is closed.
        >

        > Blessings,
        >

        > Jerry

        Dr. Shepherd,
        You closed the thread two minutes after reading my post.
        That's a visceral response.
        I apologize.

        Richard Faussette