Re: Did Moses Know the Alphabet? Was There Writing in Ancient Israel?

  • richfaussette
    Message 1 of 64 , Dec 31, 2012
      --- In biblicalist@yahoogroups.com, jimstinehart@... wrote:

      > Miles Jones:
      >
      > If the Torah, or parts of it, were written down in the Late Bronze Age, there's no alphabet attested that early that could handle that type of complex, sophisticated literature. By contrast, we know from the dozens of west Semitic words in the Amarna Letters that cuneiform could easily have been used to write pre-Hebrew words in that time period.
      >
      > Jim Stinehart

      Jim, Miles, et al.,

      In the discussion of language and writing styles regarding the Patriarchal narratives, could the discussion be overshooting more fundamental issues?

      The Joseph story in Genesis is a late composition (according to Donald B. Redford in Egypt, Canaan and Israel in Ancient Times). It contains many Persian era titles and facts which have no place in the Amarna Age. The entire Joseph story is about establishing a diaspora.

      In contrast, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy are entirely about Moses establishing a nation.

      With the Torah divided into two pieces: 1. Genesis and 2. Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy, the fundamental Torah structure is a loop, with nonsedentary diaspora life established by entering Egypt from Canaan and sedentary national life established by entering Canaan from Egypt.

      Within the diaspora of Genesis, the Law is written on the heart (no temple, written law or priesthood in Genesis).
      Within the nation of Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy, the Law is written on stone tablets.

      In Genesis, Melchizedek is both priest and king; the 'undivided' (of the Nag Hamadi texts). In Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy, Moses establishes separate priest (Aaron) and warrior (Joshua) appointments. What had been undivided in Genesis (the courage of the warrior and the wisdom of the priest) is divided in the rest of the Torah as a nation is established.

      The essential Torah is structured. Evidence of that structure is and has always been on the ground: the worldwide Jewish diaspora and the nation of Israel.

      How can the history of the Amarna age be faithfully recorded within a literary structure composed of historical and extant political structures and their complementary theologies?

      What history there might be interwoven into the J,E,D,P threads appears to be subordinate to the literary and theological structures composed by the author of the Joseph novella.
      How do I come to that conclusion?

      Without the Joseph novella in Genesis the obvious Torah structure I have described and for which there is ample evidence on the ground would not be possible as one of its supporting structures would not exist.

      Regards,
      Rich Faussette
    • richfaussette
      Message 64 of 64 , Jan 8, 2013
        --- In biblicalist@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Shepherd" wrote:

        > This thread is closed.
        >

        > Blessings,
        >

        > Jerry

        Dr. Shepherd,
        You closed the thread two minutes after reading my post.
        That's a visceral response.
        I apologize.

        Richard Faussette