Re: Pesher Exegesis

  • richfaussette
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2012
      --- In biblicalist@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Shepherd" <Jerry.Shepherd@...> wrote:

      > Hi Rich,
      >
      > Please forgive me for not replying any earlier (pressures of the teaching semester). In any case, I would not actually consider the passage you quoted from the Gospel of Thomas as being an instance of exegesis. It does seem to allude to the passage in Gen 3, but it uses the passage rather than actually exegeting the passage to say what it means. Aside from this, I don't understand your plus/minus and self, shame, fear rubrics -- but that's another matter.
      >
      > Blessings,
      >
      > Jerry
      >
      > Dr. Jerry E. Shepherd

      Dear Dr. Shepherd,

      You are very kind to respond. I am working on an expansion to my explanation (rubric). When it is posted do not feel personally obigated to respond. I use the list to present my understandings which may or may not resonate with anyone else.

      You wrote: "It does seem to allude to the passage in Gen 3, but it uses the passage rather than actually exegeting the passage to say what it means."

      In Genesis, clothes go on, shame and fear are experienced.
      Note that logion 37 is the opposite of the passage in Genesis.
      Clothes come off. Shame and fear are gone.

      In Genesis, eyes are opened to the knowledge of good and evil. In logion 37, the eyes are opened to Jesus.

      It is not the same passage that is in Genesis.

      Logion 37 does not appear to be the Fall(to me at this juncture anyway).
      It is the Return.

      Thanks again for your kind response.

      Regards,
      Rich Faussette