reigns as topoi

  • Yigal Levin
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2012
      Dear all,

      Can anyone point me to recent studies on the use of reigns of kings, such as
      David and Solomon's 40 years each or Asa's 41 years, as literary topoi?

      Thanks,

      Yigal

      Dr. Yigal Levin

      The Israel and Golda Koschitzky

      Department of Jewish History

      Bar-Ilan University

      Ramat Gan. 52900

      ISRAEL

      Yigal.Levin@...

    • Jerry Shepherd
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28, 2012
        Hi Yigal,

        BDAG does give a second meaning for loimoi -- "public enemy, menace," referencing 1 Macc 15:21; Ps 1:1, and Acts 24:5. In fact, there are many other passages where loimoi has more to do with "wickedness" than "pestilence" (e.g., 1 Sam 1:16; 2:12; 10:27; 25:17; 25:25). In fact, in several of these passages loimoi is used to translate beliyyaal.

        Blessings,

        Jerry

        Dr. Jerry E. Shepherd
        Associate Professor of Old Testament
        Taylor Seminary
        11525 - 23 Avenue
        Edmonton, AB T6J 4T3
        CANADA
        Office: (780)431-5250
        Home: (780)434-1164
        Fax: (780)436-9416
        Email: jerry.shepherd@... <mailto:Jerry.shepherd@...>
        Can anyone point me to recent studies on the use of reigns of kings, such as
        David and Solomon's 40 years each or Asa's 41 years, as literary topoi?

        Thanks,

        Yigal

        Dr. Yigal Levin

        The Israel and Golda Koschitzky

        Department of Jewish History

        Bar-Ilan University

        Ramat Gan. 52900

        ISRAEL

        Yigal.Levin@... <mailto:Yigal.Levin%40biu.ac.il>

      • Jerry Shepherd
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 28, 2012
          Actually, now that I look at the rest of the occurrences of loimoi in the LXX, I don't find any cases where it means "pestilence."

          Email: jerry.shepherd@... <mailto:jerry.shepherd%40taylor-edu.ca> <mailto:Jerry.shepherd@... <mailto:Jerry.shepherd%40taylor-edu.ca> >
          Can anyone point me to recent studies on the use of reigns of kings, such as
          David and Solomon's 40 years each or Asa's 41 years, as literary topoi?

          Thanks,

          Yigal

          Dr. Yigal Levin

          The Israel and Golda Koschitzky

          Department of Jewish History

          Bar-Ilan University

          Ramat Gan. 52900

          ISRAEL

          Yigal.Levin@... <mailto:Yigal.Levin%40biu.ac.il> <mailto:Yigal.Levin%40biu.ac.il>

        • Jerry Shepherd
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 28, 2012
            I also see now that I replied to the wrong message -- it was meant to be a reply to the 2 Chron 13:7 inquiry -- "not reigns as topoi." I should have had my coffee first this morning before getting on the computer

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 28, 2012
              No matter - thanks for the detailed replies.

              All best,

              Yigal