“Brother of Jesus” (Ossuary Inscription) Proved Ancient and Authentic

  • funhistory
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2012
      New BAR article by Hershel Shanks exposes false bases for the centerpiece of the forgery trial:

      http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/news/%e2%80%9cbrother-of-jesus%e2%80%9d-proved-ancient-and-authentic/

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/c29bvtg

      G.M. Grena
      www.LMLK.org
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2012
        From "Brother of Jesus Proved Authentic"
         Since the trial, BAR has located the bone box that was in Mahmoud Abushakra’s antiquities shop. It looks much like the James/Jesus bone box. It even has an inscription of similar length and includes three names. To anyone who does not read ancient Aramaic it looks much like the inscription on the James/Jesus bone box. But the names are “Joseph, Judah and Hadas,” not “James, Joseph and Jesus.” This bone box with the names “Joseph, Judah and Hadas” is published for the first time in the July/August issue of BAR.

        Moreover, the government’s chief scientific witness, Professor Yuval Goren of Tel Aviv University was forced to admit on cross-examination that there was original ancient patina in the word “Jesus.”
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        Note that this article is rather poorly written leaving doubt as to which ossuary is referenced when it states that Yuval Goren admitted that there was "original ancient patina" in the word "Jesus."  Frankly, I don't trust BAR.

        search for truth, hear truth,

        >________________________________

      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2012
[...]

          I have stated repeatedly over the last decade, here and on other lists, that
          if there is ancient patina in the word Yeshua, the entire box, and its
          inscription, is genuine. I also remember when Yuval Goren testified....and
          I read the transcript....that there WAS ancient patina in Yeshua. Posing
          that he meant some other box is not only reaching for the last forgery
          straw, it is just not true. The box is (for the umpteenth time) genuine.
          The real crime here is that an artifact that is potentially very important
          is compromised because of looting and this silly trial. There is a real
          possibility that it once held the bones of Ya'aqub Bar Yahosef (James) which
          were ignominiously dumped out in a garbage heap somewhere. The IAA should
          be concentrating on how to lessen the impact of looting, a difficult task
          given a land where raking a back yard could produce something important. I
          suggest that they study the British model.

          Regards,
          Jack

          Jack Kilmon
          Houston, TX
        • Stephen Goranson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 14, 2012
            The trial did *not* determine that the inscription is genuine. Experts differed.* (Patina science has little patina.) If, e.g., the patina formed in a pitted area and the inscription did not cut that deep, it would (*if* that were the case) prove nothing. There is little reason to think James had an ossuary and some reason to think he was buried elsewhere and otherwise.

            Stephen Goranson
            http://www.duke.edu/~goranson

            * By the way, the (unreliable) saying (not by Benjamin Disraeli) about three kinds of lies, the third being statistics, was modeled on an earlier saying that there were three kinds of unreliable witnesses: liars....and experts.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 14, 2012
              Hi Stephen:
              I'm sorry, you are a rock star in sorting out the cultural anthropology
              behind the DSS but on this issue nothing in your post carries any scientific
              weight. Basically, you are saying "When all else fails, the experts are
              wrong." In some important areas YOU are an expert. Yuval Goren is an expert
              in materials science. I also do not accept your evaluation of patina
              science. There is no way to determine if the Ya'qub on the ossuary is OUR
              Ya'qub but if it was, he could certainly have been provided with an ossuary
              by any number of wealthy admirers at the temple...and he had many, as did
              his brother. Given the mythological accretions in the infancy narratives,
              there IS little reason to accept the depressed economic status of this
              family. There are no paleographers, that are really paleographers, that
              claim the inscription is forged. Lemaire and Yardeni didn't roll in on
              turnip trucks, and they are not alone. Nearly ALL of the claims of forgery
              have been made by people out of their areas of expertise which is why the
              trial ended as it did.

              Regards,
              Jack

              Jack Kilmon