Seal of Matanyahu

  • Michael Welch
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2012
      Dear List Members, Hi!!! There was a good link to the recently found seal of Matanyahu on Dr. Todd Bolen's Bible Places Blog today. http://www.israelhayom.com/site/newsletter_article.php?id=4169 Hopefully this link will work okay. This is a pretty seal. It looks like it is made of sodalite. Although the bottom two registers are worn, it is an interesting seal because not only did it contain Matanyahu's father's name, but it also contained his grandfather's name. I am guessing that the seal originally read: "Belonging to Matanyahu son of Hoshayahu son of Kenan." But on this seal only belonging to, Matanyahu, son of, Ho, and son of, are clear. If you all have any ideas, I would love to hear them.
      With Much Gratitude,
      Sincerely Yours,
      Michael Welch
      Deltona,Florida
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2012
        Without knowing on what basis the writer assigns the seal to the 1st temple, I would urge some caution in uncritically accepting that dating.  It is stated in the article that it was found "below the base of an ancient drainage channel", but it is unclear whether that means than it was found underneath the stones of the channel or at the bottom end of the channel.  If the latter, it could have washed down at a later time.  Hopefully more information will be provided.

        search for truth, hear truth,

      • Michael Welch
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2012
          Dear Dr. Somsel, Hi!!! Epigraphically the paleo-Hebrew letters on this seal date to Ca. 700-600 B.C. So the excavators dated the seal to the First Temple based on letters and probably some broken pottery that was found with it. Thank you for your time and your input.
          With Much Gratitude and Admiration,
          Sincerely Yours,
          Michael Welch
          Deltona, Florida