Annas and Gratus

  • Stephen Lord
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 20, 2011
      In doing some background research on the high priest Annus (hp c. 6-14 c.e.), I ran across an encyclopaedia article that claimed Annas was removed by Valerius Gratus for exercising the death penalty without Rome's approval.  However, the entry did not provide a primary source for this claim.

      I found nothing in Josephus to substantiate this claim, nor anything in Philo.  The fact that Annas and his family dominated the office of hp for decades to come argues against some major illegality or offense to Rome on Annas' part.

      So is that encyclopaedia entry speaking out of turn or is there a primary source to substantiate it that I've been unable to find?  Seems to me someone has confused Annas "II" (61 ce) with his dad.

      Respectfully,
      Stephen Lord

    • Dave Hindley
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 21, 2011
        Stephen,

        That would be the younger Ananus, who killed "the brother of Jesus who is
        called Christ, who was named James" (Antiquities 20:200).

        Dave Hindley
        Newton Falls, Ohio, USA

        In doing some background research on the high priest Annus (hp c. 6-14
        c.e.), I ran across an encyclopaedia article that claimed Annas was removed
        by Valerius Gratus for exercising the death penalty without Rome's
        approval.� However, the entry did not provide a primary source for this
        claim.

        I found nothing in Josephus to substantiate this claim, nor anything in
        Philo.� The fact that Annas and his family dominated the office of hp for
        decades to come argues against some major illegality or offense to Rome on
        Annas' part.

        So is that encyclopaedia entry speaking out of turn or is there a primary
        source to substantiate it that I've been unable to find?� Seems to me
        someone has confused Annas "II" (61 ce) with his dad.

        Respectfully,
        Stephen Lord

        Messages in this topic (1)

        Dave Hindley