Your Own Bible Translation Tool

  • funhistory
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2011
      Does anybody know of any Bible software that allows you to provide your own Hebrew/Greek translation database (into English or any language), & then output that translation so you can immediately see how the choice of words affect multiple verses?

      For example, it could start with the 1611 KJV, & when you get to a word that's outdated or unclear, you could type in a substitute, which would then apply it to the rest of the Bible. It would also allow you to restrict your new translation to certain verses/contexts. It could also show you a Strong's Concordance, highlighting your additions.

      I've never invested in any of the applications I've seen marketed over the years, so I'm curious how far they've progressed.

      G.M. Grena
      www.LMLK.org
    • Ross Purdy
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2011
        On 11/6/2011 3:14 PM, funhistory wrote:
        > Does anybody know of any Bible software that allows you to provide your own Hebrew/Greek translation database (into English or any language),& then output that translation so you can immediately see how the choice of words affect multiple verses?
        >
        > For example, it could start with the 1611 KJV,& when you get to a word that's outdated or unclear, you could type in a substitute, which would then apply it to the rest of the Bible. It would also allow you to restrict your new translation to certain verses/contexts. It could also show you a Strong's Concordance, highlighting your additions.

        Hi,

        Any word-processor can do a search and replace or a replace-all. In
        order to check it against Strong's, the text would either need to be
        tagged somehow with Strong's numbers or else you could just compare it
        to a tagged text. If you wanted the changes you made to show up in a
        concordance, it would have to be compiled from the text after you made
        your changes. That would require a tagged text to begin with and a
        program/script to sort it out and present it as a concordance. There are
        text editors freely available that can do that but you need to know how
        to tag a text to create a concordance which means tagging each word in a
        Bible you want to show up in a concordance individually. Text editors
        also allow for two texts to be compared so you can compare an altered
        text against an original to see what changes have been made if you have
        not documented them as you went along.

        Commercially available BibleWorks and freely available eSword and Sword
        Project programs allow you to input a translation database and have it
        show up in their program. LOGOS has a "personal book builder" tool now
        as well which I have not played with yet. The commercial programs will
        have some capability to look up words in their other resources.
        BibleWorks allows for a Strong's tagged text to be used. Tags will show
        in eSword and Sword Project.

        In Christ,
        Ross Purdy
      • Peter Kirk
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2011
          G.M., you might be interested in Adapt It, a free tool from SIL
          described at
          http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/show_software.asp?id=105. I think
          it would do what you want, if you can get the base version you are
          working from into the software. But the download site seems to be out of
          operation at the moment.

          Peter Kirk

          On 06/11/2011 21:14, funhistory wrote:
          > Does anybody know of any Bible software that allows you to provide your own Hebrew/Greek translation database (into English or any language),& then output that translation so you can immediately see how the choice of words affect multiple verses?
          >
          > For example, it could start with the 1611 KJV,& when you get to a word that's outdated or unclear, you could type in a substitute, which would then apply it to the rest of the Bible. It would also allow you to restrict your new translation to certain verses/contexts. It could also show you a Strong's Concordance, highlighting your additions.
          >
          > I've never invested in any of the applications I've seen marketed over the years, so I'm curious how far they've progressed.
          >
          > G.M. Grena
          > www.LMLK.org

          Peter Kirk
          E-mail: peter@...
          Blog: http://www.gentlewisdom.org/
          Website: http://www.qaya.org/
        • funhistory
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2011
            > Commercially available BibleWorks and freely available eSword...
            > Ross Purdy

            Thank you, Ross & Peter, for your helpful suggestions. For the record, the correct spelling is "e-Sword" to help others find www.e-sword.net online.

            G.M. Grena