Re: [biblicalist] Hebrew grammars

  • James Spinti
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2011
      Are you looking for first year, or advanced/reference grammars? George listed the standard reference/advanced grammars, but neglected to mention Waltke & O'Connor. If you are looking for a shorter one, try Arnold & Choi, which is basically an abridgment of Waltke & O'Connor.

      There has been a proliferation of first year grammars in the last 10 years. To choose the best one would be impossible, largely because of different teaching philosophies and styles. We all have our favorites and our favorite "you can't use that one!"

      That being said, I would avoid Weingreen and Lambdin (even though that's what I learned out of) and go with a newer one. I personally like Futato--and not just because I work for the publisher :) But, there are things to like in Seow, Hackett, and Pratico/van Pelt, to name just a few.

      Somewhere Cynthia Miller did a review comparing the more recent ones; Hackett's is too new to be included, though. You might want to check the RBL site for reviews, too.

      HTH,
      James
      James Spinti
      Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
      jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
      Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
      Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
      Fax: 574-269-6788

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2011
        Also, Davidson's old Introductory Hebrew Grammar which was the one I used in the cemetary has been revised by James Martin.  It contains much in a small compass.

        … search for truth, hear truth,