Hebrew grammars

  • Stephen Lord
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2011
      Qohelet might well have said, "Of the making of grammars there is no end."

      I understand that asking a group such as this to share what they think is among the better Hebrew grammars is like asking a group where the best vacation spot is.

      Still...

      Would list members be willing to share their "top two" picks in the introductory Hebrew grammar category?

      Thank you in advance.

      Respectfully,
      Stephen Lord

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2011
        Gesenius is the classic Hebrew grammar.  Joüon is another classic.  Joüon has recently been revised by Muraoka.  A third which should also be recommended is Van der Merwe, A Biblical Hebrew Reference Grammar.

        … search for truth, hear truth,

        >________________________________

      • James Spinti
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 29, 2011
          Are you looking for first year, or advanced/reference grammars? George listed the standard reference/advanced grammars, but neglected to mention Waltke & O'Connor. If you are looking for a shorter one, try Arnold & Choi, which is basically an abridgment of Waltke & O'Connor.

          There has been a proliferation of first year grammars in the last 10 years. To choose the best one would be impossible, largely because of different teaching philosophies and styles. We all have our favorites and our favorite "you can't use that one!"

          That being said, I would avoid Weingreen and Lambdin (even though that's what I learned out of) and go with a newer one. I personally like Futato--and not just because I work for the publisher :) But, there are things to like in Seow, Hackett, and Pratico/van Pelt, to name just a few.

          Somewhere Cynthia Miller did a review comparing the more recent ones; Hackett's is too new to be included, though. You might want to check the RBL site for reviews, too.

          HTH,
          James
          James Spinti
          Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
          jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
          Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
          Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
          Fax: 574-269-6788

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 29, 2011
            Also, Davidson's old Introductory Hebrew Grammar which was the one I used in the cemetary has been revised by James Martin.  It contains much in a small compass.

            … search for truth, hear truth,