Re: Ethnicity in early Judaism and early Christianity

  • ntdmiller
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2010
      Dave: Thanks for the note about Buell's essay. (It prompted me to read
      her article while I wait for her 2005 monograph to arrive.) I take
      Buell's point that using ethnic terminology instead of race risks
      "conveying the implications that our modern legacy of racial thinking
      can be shut off when we turn to examine ancient texts." But rather than
      using race and ethnicity interchangeably, as she does, I think it is
      worth inquiring into the history of their use in modern
      scholarship--what early adopters of 'ethnic' language meant by it; how
      its meanings changed over time. I'm also not (yet) persuaded by Buell's
      argument that the view that ethnicity is immutable results from
      scientific racism.

      Chris: You are right, of course, that 'ethnic' is used much earlier than
      1975 in biblical scholarship. Shortly after I posted my query I ran
      across this 1936 essay:

      Zeitlin, Solomon. “The Jews: Race, Nation or Religion: Which? A
      Study Based on the Literature of the Second Jewish Commonwealth.”
      Jewish Quarterly Review 26, no. 4 (1936): 313-347.

      I am specifically interested in the use of ethnic language in studies of
      the meaning of Ioudaios. Apart from Zeitlin (1936), Von Rad in TWNT
      3.359 (1938), and another 1953 Zeitlin article, the next relevant use of
      'ethnic' language that I have encountered is in Morton Smith's 1971,
      Palestinian Parties and Politics That Shaped the Old Testament. My
      impression so far is that the language only begins to enter common use
      in the 1970's.

      Thanks for the JSTOR recommendation; I'll look there. And I'll be
      delighted if you can point me to other pre-1970 sources.

      David

      --- In biblicalist@yahoogroups.com, "cweb255" <chris.m.weimer@...>
      wrote:

      > Is there something specific other than "ethnic", because the term
      itself, even in relation to Judaism and Christianity, goes well before
      1975. Even "ethnic identity" is in play at least in the 40s. A simple
      JSTOR search will yield numerous results as well.

      > My thesis is actually on ethnic identity, so I'm thoroughly curious
      where this is going. :-)

      > Chris Weimer
      > MA student
      > SF State
      >
      > --- In biblicalist@yahoogroups.com, "ntdmiller" dmiller@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm tracking the adoption of 'ethnicity' terminology in scholarship
      on early Judaism and early Christianity. The earliest occurrences of
      'ethnic' I've found so far are in Meeks (1975) and Kraabel (1982). I'll
      be grateful for any suggestions about others.

      > > David
      > > __________
      > > David M. Miller, Ph.D.
      > > Assistant Professor of New Testament
      > > Briercrest College and Seminary
      > > Office: (306) 756-3438
      > > Email: dmiller@
      > > Webpage: http://gervatoshav.blogspot.com

    • richfaussette
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2010
        David, Chris,

        Kevin MacDonald's trilogy on Judaism is about the maintenance of ethnic identity in Judaism. The first volume was published in 1994.
        I bring it to your attention because he cites many earlier scholars on his topic and I believe it is what you're interested in.
        Disregard if I've misunderstood.
        Here is the link for more information.
        http://www.kevinmacdonald.net/

        Regards,