Re: Joseph M. Baumgarten misrepresented: annals of Essene denial

  • hadassah
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2010
      There was no intention to misrepresent the views of Prof. Baumgarten. Apparently there was some ambiguity in the phrasing and in order to clear it up we have changed the wording so it now reads:

      "Against that majority view, a handful of researchers, focusing less on the Scrolls' apocalyptic eschatology than on their teachings with regard to specific religious practices, continued to point to a Sadduceean connection. A pioneer proponent of this scholarly approach was Joseph Baumgarten of Baltimore (who himself was very far from repudiating the Essene association); since the 1970's, the figure most prominently associated with it has been New York University's Lawrence Schiffman. By the 1990's, their methodology had begun to win a number of well-informed adherents."

      Thank you so much for your feedback.

    • goranson@duke.edu
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
        Hello,

        I may wish to reply, because in my view the article "A Dead Issue?" (either
        version) is not accurate about Joseph Baumgarten nor about Qumran and
        Sadducees. But, first, may I ask, in accord with list protocol, that
        you let me
        know your name, and the names of the article authors?
        Thank you.

        Stephen Goranson
        http://www.duke.edu/~goranson