Re: Question about the LXX New Testament

  • Bob Burns
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 18, 2009
      I thought Alexandrinus and Sinaiaticus contain the NT?

      --- In biblicalist@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson@...>
      wrote:

      > On Mar 18, 2009 2:00 PM, Bob Burns summascriptura@... wrote:
      > >Obviously such an animal exists, right?
      > >
      > >Is there an English edition of the Greek New Testament from the LXX?
      >
      > I don't understand what the question even means. The LXX is a Greek
      > translation of the Old Testament.
      >
      > Stephen
      >
      > --
      > Stephen C. Carlson
      > Ph.D. student, Religion, Duke University
      > Author of The Gospel Hoax: Morton Smith's Invention of Secret Mark
      (Baylor, 2005)

    • James Spinti
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 18, 2009
        Bob,

        The LXX by definition is the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible. The
        Greek New Testament is not considered part of the LXX, so your question
        is not valid. If, however, you are looking for a translation of a
        particular text tradition of the New Testament, that is another story
        all together.

        HTH,
        James

        ________________________________
        James Spinti
        Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
        jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
        Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
        Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
        Fax: 574-269-6788

        wrote:

        > On Mar 18, 2009 2:00 PM, Bob Burns summascriptura@... wrote:
        > >Obviously such an animal exists, right?
        > >
        > >Is there an English edition of the Greek New Testament from the LXX?
        >
        > I don't understand what the question even means. The LXX is a Greek
        > translation of the Old Testament.
        >
        > Stephen
        >
        > --
        > Stephen C. Carlson
        > Ph.D. student, Religion, Duke University
        > Author of The Gospel Hoax: Morton Smith's Invention of Secret Mark
        (Baylor, 2005)

      • Bob Burns
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 18, 2009
          Apologies. I was under the mis-impression the Septuagint accreted to
          include books over time, including at a later era the NT. So the
          question restated is this, is there a Greek New Testament which comes
          down to us as a complete unit preserved in codices in which the LXX is
          bound together with the NT? If so, are there any English translations
          of this/these?

          --- In biblicalist@yahoogroups.com, "James Spinti" <jspinti@...> wrote:

          > Bob,
          >
          > The LXX by definition is the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible.
          The
          > Greek New Testament is not considered part of the LXX, so your
          question
          > is not valid. If, however, you are looking for a translation of a
          > particular text tradition of the New Testament, that is another story
          > all together.
          >
          > HTH,
          > James
          >
          > ________________________________
          > James Spinti
          > Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
          > Eisenbrauns, Good books for more than 30 years
          > Specializing in Ancient Near Eastern and Biblical Studies
          > jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
          > Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
          > Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
          > Fax: 574-269-6788

        • Stephen C. Carlson
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 18, 2009
            On Mar 18, 2009 5:29 PM, Bob Burns <summascriptura@...> wrote:
            >Apologies. I was under the mis-impression the Septuagint accreted to
            >include books over time, including at a later era the NT. So the
            >question restated is this, is there a Greek New Testament which comes
            >down to us as a complete unit preserved in codices in which the LXX is
            >bound together with the NT? If so, are there any English translations
            >of this/these?

            What you're asking about is called a "pandect." Here's what Robert A.
            Kraft has to say about them in "Para-mania: Beside, Before and Beyond
            Bible Studies," JBL 126 (2007): 5-27, 11 n.21:

            >The earliest known Greek pandects include Vaticanus (= B, 4th c.),
            >Sinaiticus (= S or [aleph], 5th c.), Alexandrinus (= A, 5th c.). Most
            >of the others are from the twelfth century or later (e.g., Rahlfs
            >##130, 106, 44, 68, 122); in Latin, the earliest is Amiatinus (Florence)
            >. . .

            Stephen

            --
            Stephen C. Carlson
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 18, 2009
              An English edition of the Greek New Testament?  Of course !  Pick your poison, there are many.  But regarding "an English edition of the Greek New Testament from the LXX", what do you want?  Here is the site where the NETS translation of the LXX can be downloaded or you can purchase the print version

              http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/

              … search for truth, hear truth,

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 19, 2009
                Perhaps I'm misreading and a bit confused.

                But it seems the gentleman is asking if there is an English translation out there that is based solely on, say, Vaticanus or Sinaitcus.  That is, one of the surviving manuscripts that includes both the LXX and the GNT.

                Respectfully,

                Stephen C. Lord