the aftermath of EarlyChristianWritings.com and friends

  • KirbTron
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 14, 2008
      I hope that this message is appreciated by people who know me or my
      past work. It is crossposted with XTalk2 and other lists.

      Since it opened in 2001, the website has been widely regarded as being
      a decent place to jump around the documents of the first two centuries
      and get links to translations, research, and such.

      This month I let the domain name expire. While this wasn't completely
      intentional, I am of course culpable. A domain name in the Internet
      age is more than just a resolution of squiggles into a four byte IP
      address. Losing it represents a financial opportunity lost, but more
      importantly, a great inconvenience to all who have extensively linked
      to the site or referred to it regularly. The links number in the
      thousands. The users included teachers and students.

      I do have an interest in allowing the material created for ECW and for
      EJW to live on in another form, under another person's or
      organization's guiding hand. I cannot offer the domain name (which,
      again in the Internet age, is probably worth more than the text) but I
      can offer my backing of whatever project gets the site as "spiritual
      successor" to the venerable (again, in the Internet age) Early
      Christian Writings. I can also offer all distribution rights to the
      text itself, to the extent that I am the copyright holder.

      If you have any comments about this that you want to make quite
      certain I see, send a message to peterkirby@... and, of
      course, "discuss amongst yourselves," as Mike Myers would say.

      sincerely,
      Peter Kirby
    • koavf
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 14, 2008
        Peter,

        This is really unfortunate. Let me be clear: you *do* have all the
        content back-up? If not, I saved EJW/ECW a number of months ago with wget.

        -JAK

        --- In biblicalist@yahoogroups.com, "KirbTron" <peterkirby@...> wrote:

        > I hope that this message is appreciated by people who know me or my
        > past work. It is crossposted with XTalk2 and other lists.
        >
        > Since it opened in 2001, the website has been widely regarded as being
        > a decent place to jump around the documents of the first two centuries
        > and get links to translations, research, and such.
        >
        > This month I let the domain name expire. While this wasn't completely
        > intentional, I am of course culpable. A domain name in the Internet
        > age is more than just a resolution of squiggles into a four byte IP
        > address. Losing it represents a financial opportunity lost, but more
        > importantly, a great inconvenience to all who have extensively linked
        > to the site or referred to it regularly. The links number in the
        > thousands. The users included teachers and students.
        >
        > I do have an interest in allowing the material created for ECW and for
        > EJW to live on in another form, under another person's or
        > organization's guiding hand. I cannot offer the domain name (which,
        > again in the Internet age, is probably worth more than the text) but I
        > can offer my backing of whatever project gets the site as "spiritual
        > successor" to the venerable (again, in the Internet age) Early
        > Christian Writings. I can also offer all distribution rights to the
        > text itself, to the extent that I am the copyright holder.
        >
        > If you have any comments about this that you want to make quite
        > certain I see, send a message to peterkirby@... and, of
        > course, "discuss amongst yourselves," as Mike Myers would say.
        >
        > sincerely,
        > Peter Kirby

      • KirbTron
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 14, 2008
          --- In biblicalist@yahoogroups.com, "koavf" <justinkoavf@...> wrote:

          > Peter,
          >
          > This is really unfortunate. Let me be clear: you *do* have all the
          > content back-up? If not, I saved EJW/ECW a number of months ago with
          wget.

          Yes, I have all the content backed up.

          This includes most of the "invisible" content (that is, there was a
          feature of the Gospel of Thomas section that allowed comments but had
          a long queue of unapproved comments) and the original PHP program
          files used to piece together the site from a database (which aren't
          shown to the browser) and of course the database (which has a
          structure invisible to the browser). As you can deduce, at some point
          I converted the site to be "dynamic" instead of static web pages.

          regards,
          Peter Kirby
        • KirbTron
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 14, 2008
            --- In biblicalist@yahoogroups.com, "KirbTron" <peterkirby@...> wrote:
            > Yes, I have all the content backed up.

            I apologize for all the crossposting, but... it has netted a good
            result. Due to a comment on XTalk, I have found out that I have
            options that can get the domain name back at reasonable expense. I am
            looking into them as we type.

            regards,
            Peter Kirby
          • Kevin P. Edgecomb
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 15, 2008
              Good luck, Peter. I hope that works out. If not, I'd recommend
              contacting Roger Pearse (tertullian.org). He's put up many
              out-of-print translations of Patristic works and has even commissioned
              some translations of short works. Of course, he's also the go-to guy
              for Tertullian. A melding of the two sites would be beneficial to the
              reader.

              Anyhow, I hope you get your domain back!

              Regards,
              Kevin P. Edgecomb
              Berkeley, California
              Moderator