Re: ESV Apocrypha? [EAT THEM WORDS!]

  • Bob Burns
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2008
      Do you suppose its safe to assume they'll use the longer recension of
      Tobit?

      I also hope they'll include the full version of Greek Esther. I've
      never understood the rationale of simply translating the chapters which
      are not found in the Hebrew; who wants to read JUST the additional
      chapters?
    • Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 3, 2008
        Bob Burns wrote:
        Do you suppose its safe to assume they'll use the longer recension of
        Tobit? I also hope they'll include the full version of Greek Esther.
        I've never understood the rationale of simply translating the
        chapters which are not found in the Hebrew; who wants to read JUST the
        additional chapters?

        I write:
        I think it's safe to assume they'll use the longer Tobit. It's
        generally (if not universally) agreed to be the older of the two.

        We can thank our old sainted friend Hieronymus Stridonensis for the
        butchery of Esther, something Haman never managed....

        Regards,
        Kevin P. Edgecomb
        Berkeley, California
        Moderator
      • Bob Burns
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 28, 2008
          --- In biblicalist@yahoogroups.com, "David C. Hindley" <dhindley@...>
          wrote:

          > Yes,
          >
          > Charlesworth's volumes are well worth the purchase, but you also get
          > Pseudepigrapha like Jubilees and 1 Enoch.

          It just goes to show one man's Apocrypha is another man's Pseudepigrapha
          is another man's scripture.

          I certainly cannot place Jubilees and Enoch in the same category as The
          Gospel of Thomas, which I consider true pseudepigrapha.