Post-Modernism and the Relevance of VanTil

  • Neil Barham
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2005
      Dear Bretheren and Sisteren,

      Beginning in January, I will be teaching study on apologetics in my Miami PCA church.  In preparation, I have been immersing myself in VanTil, Frame, Bahnsen, Rushdoony, Pratt, Van Til, Van Til, Van Til, and after that a little bit of Van Til.  From my reading, it appears to me that Van Til is the perfect refuter of Postmodernism, since he shows that, apart from an a priori commitment to the Christ of the Bible, thought, rationality, logic, and experience are all meaningless and lead to despair.

      My pastor has a different view.  Though he agrees with Van Til's method and conclusions, he claims that the postmodernist does not care whether his existence makes sense or not.  The postmodernist, it is alleged, is totally comfortable with epistemic despair and meaningless experience.  He cares nothing for logic, rationality, purpose, hope.  The postmodern response to Van Til, I am told, is:  OK, you're right.  My life is meaningless, self-contradictory, and irrational.  Who cares?

      My own acquaintance with post-modernism is not as thorough as I would like.  Is my pastor right?  Will my postmodern opponent concede my arguments, shrug his shoulders, and walk away indifferent?

      Advice is welcome.

      Neil

      http://mail.yahoo.com