Re: [biblicalapologetics] Announcements!

    Message 1 of 78 , Jul 13, 2005
      Hi Rob,

      I hope the move goes smoothly for you and that you get settled in quickly. I am sure Louise will do fine in your absence.

      Paul

      Robert Bowman <robertbowman@...> wrote:
      Friends,

      I have accepted a full-time position teaching eighth-grade Bible at a
      Christian school in Phoenix. My starting date is Friday, August 12th, and
      the first day of school is Monday, August 22nd. Therefore, my family and I
      will be moving from Southern California (we live in San Jacinto) to Phoenix.
      I have already found a house and if everything goes according to plan we
      will be moving very close to the date I report for work there.

      Also, from Monday through Saturday next week (July 18-23) I will be teaching
      all day long at Biola University, which is nearly two hours from my home.

      For these reasons, my participation in this discussion group will be
      severely curtailed from now until at least the end of August. I have asked
      Louise, my co-moderator of the Evangelical and JW Theologies list, to
      moderate this list as well for at least the next couple of months. (Thanks,
      Louise!) Her decisions as moderator will be final.

      Thank you for your participation in this list.

      In Christ's service,

      Robert M. Bowman, Jr.
      Center for Biblical Apologetics
      Online: http://www.biblicalapologetics.net

    • Eric Pement
      Message 78 of 78 , Jul 20, 2005
        Replying to Robert Bassett:

        Thanks for replying. On 19 Jul 2005 at 12:15, you said:

        > I do agree with what you say about religious hypocrisy Eric but you
        > must admit that there has to be one real “truth”.

        I was addressing what I thought was Jeep's more fundamental
        question about which religion was true. Since his question mixed in
        world religions, Christian denominations, and cults, it was my view
        that the best way to frame a response was as I did: the Christian
        religion is true, but being part of the "right church" won't save
        you. I think this is the basics for further discussion.

        > The Godhead must be either the trinity as described by RC and most
        > Protestants, God and the glorified man Christ as described by JW and
        > others or maybe 3 separate beings as described by Mormons. They cannot
        > all be right.

        True, they cannot all be right. And the Godhead might fit some
        different configuration altogether (binitarian, unitarian,
        modalistic, panentheistic, etc.). I acknowledge that on a descriptive
        level, the law of noncontradiction holds.

        My assertion, for Jeep's sake, is that even believing in the
        "right" understanding of Godhead is not enough. As I said to him in
        my last message:

        EP> In the last analysis, Bible knowledge without eternal life
        EP> is worthless.

        I think that holds for knowledge of true doctrines as well. In my
        understanding, a person could conceptually believe in the "right" or
        ultimately most correct understanding of theology, christology,
        pneumatology, soteriology, ecclesiology, and all the rest, and still
        not be "saved." Salvation is not obtained by intellectual assent even
        to correct propositions and statement. Salvation is based on a
        personal decision of the will to turn from sin and trust in Christ as
        your sin-bearer, master, and risen Lord.

        There are components of this decision that involve ideas (what is
        sin? what does "risen" mean? etc.), but there are additional
        components that require will, volition, allegiance, faith, and so on.

        > I do agree though that participation in any religion doesn’t guarantee
        > salvation, any many individuals of many different faiths will hear the
        > words of the shepherd and heed his voice.

        I think so too ... so long as those different faiths don't
        "differ" so greatly that they lose or deny the Jesus and gospel of
        Scripture. Thanks for writing.

        --
        Eric Pement