Re: [biblicalapologetics] Re: Committing necessary evils

  • Eric Pement
    Message 1 of 78 , Jul 13, 2005
      Responding to jeep_dj5, who on 14 Jul 2005 at 2:00, said:

      > --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, Eric Pement
      > <eric.pement@m...> wrote:
      [ ... ]

      > > What is the proper response? If you answer honestly, the Jews will
      > > be sent to a concentration camp and probably killed. If you lie, the
      > > Gestapo agent may leave. So what do you do?
      >
      > What would you do?

      I think Jesus answered another form of this question in Matt.
      12:10-13, when he was confronted with the charge of breaking the
      Sabbath by healing someone on that day. It's worth reading.

      If push came to shove, I would break a law against lying in order
      to save a human life.

      > As for me, I'm not religious. So my answer doesn't matter.

      Cop-out, Jeepie. Nonreligious people still make decision about how
      to behave in tough situations, even if they don't believe in any
      God(s). And since turnabout is fair play, you should still answer.

      [ ... ]

      > > All sin is wrong, but according to the Torah, the penalties
      > > for some sins are diminished if there are extenuating or
      > > mitigating circumstances.
      >
      > So what is your advise Mr. Pement? Christians can go ahead and commit
      > sin if necessary, correct?

      I advise people not to write checks they're not willing and able
      to pay for. Anyone who wants to "go ahead and commit sin," as you put
      it, must be ready to bear the consequences of their actions.

      --
      Eric Pement
    • Eric Pement
      Message 78 of 78 , Jul 20, 2005
        Replying to Robert Bassett:

        Thanks for replying. On 19 Jul 2005 at 12:15, you said:

        > I do agree with what you say about religious hypocrisy Eric but you
        > must admit that there has to be one real “truth”.

        I was addressing what I thought was Jeep's more fundamental
        question about which religion was true. Since his question mixed in
        world religions, Christian denominations, and cults, it was my view
        that the best way to frame a response was as I did: the Christian
        religion is true, but being part of the "right church" won't save
        you. I think this is the basics for further discussion.

        > The Godhead must be either the trinity as described by RC and most
        > Protestants, God and the glorified man Christ as described by JW and
        > others or maybe 3 separate beings as described by Mormons. They cannot
        > all be right.

        True, they cannot all be right. And the Godhead might fit some
        different configuration altogether (binitarian, unitarian,
        modalistic, panentheistic, etc.). I acknowledge that on a descriptive
        level, the law of noncontradiction holds.

        My assertion, for Jeep's sake, is that even believing in the
        "right" understanding of Godhead is not enough. As I said to him in
        my last message:

        EP> In the last analysis, Bible knowledge without eternal life
        EP> is worthless.

        I think that holds for knowledge of true doctrines as well. In my
        understanding, a person could conceptually believe in the "right" or
        ultimately most correct understanding of theology, christology,
        pneumatology, soteriology, ecclesiology, and all the rest, and still
        not be "saved." Salvation is not obtained by intellectual assent even
        to correct propositions and statement. Salvation is based on a
        personal decision of the will to turn from sin and trust in Christ as
        your sin-bearer, master, and risen Lord.

        There are components of this decision that involve ideas (what is
        sin? what does "risen" mean? etc.), but there are additional
        components that require will, volition, allegiance, faith, and so on.

        > I do agree though that participation in any religion doesn’t guarantee
        > salvation, any many individuals of many different faiths will hear the
        > words of the shepherd and heed his voice.

        I think so too ... so long as those different faiths don't
        "differ" so greatly that they lose or deny the Jesus and gospel of
        Scripture. Thanks for writing.

        --
        Eric Pement