[Fwd: Trinity debate (minus the extra baggage!)]

  • JesusTrance
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2005
      TL,

      Yes, I agree our posts were getting rather drawn out, and I was having
      difficulty finding the time to reply. I think part of that has to do
      with the whole interwoven nature of Christian theology - I don't believe
      you can take one part and leave out the rest. There's an
      interconnectedness to it... keeping on topic, then:

      You say that the Trinity is impossible because Jesus wouldn't have had a
      body at one point in history, and bodiless beings are impossible to you.
      I said bodiless beings are possible with a spiritual realm, but you
      don't believe in a spiritual realm either, just the physical. Now I ask
      you how to prove the physical realm, because if the spiritual realm
      exists, it would follow that it is a form of reality somewhat like the
      physical. If there can't be a sufficient test other than "you can feel
      it," for the physical realm, why scream bloody murder when the same
      proof is used for the spiritual? Again, it's not like we're talking some
      foreign idea here, but one that spans cultures, peoples, and languages.
      Just like the physical realm. It's just not logical to use double
      standards like that.

      --

      - Bryon Jr.

      "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding."
      Proverbs 9:10 (KJV)
    • Jeff Downs
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2005
        --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, JesusTrance
        <jesustrance@w...> wrote:
        > TL,
        >
        > Yes, I agree our posts were getting rather drawn out, and I was
        having
        > difficulty finding the time to reply. I think part of that has to
        do
        > with the whole interwoven nature of Christian theology - I don't
        believe
        > you can take one part and leave out the rest. There's an
        > interconnectedness to it...

        I don't usually post to the list, but I thought I'd offer a resource
        I'm currently reading. It is the best I've read on topic and that
        is:

        The Holy Trinity: In Scripture, History, Theology and Worship.
        Robert Letham (P&R, 2004; ISBN#: 0-8755-2000-6).

        Here <http://www.leithart.com/archives/001041.php> is a review of
        the book.

        In Christ,
        Jeff Downs