Re: We did not evolve from Apes

  • Eric Pement
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2005
      --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, remington186@a... wrote:

      > Hello Chip,
      >
      > After more than 150 years of the theory of evolution you'd think
      > EVERYBODY would KNOW neither Darwin, nor any other evolutionist,
      > EVER POSTULATED THAT MAN EVOLVED FROM APES. The theory is: they
      > evolved from a common ancestor. Again, no scientist says man
      > evolved from apes. Not even Charles Darwin.

      Hello, this is my first post to this mailing list. I'm a Christian
      and I'm interested in the topic of apologetics.

      I beg to differ. In his book "The Descent of Man" (1871), Darwin not
      only said that man descended from apes, but that humans specifically
      descended from the "Old World monkeys", as opposed to the New World
      monkeys. The statement appears in Chapter 6 of "Descent of Man" in
      the penultimate paragraph. The text reads as follows:

      The Simiadae then branched off into two great stems, the
      New World and Old World monkeys; and from the latter, at
      a remote period, Man, the wonder and glory of the Universe,
      proceeded.

      The statement is unmistakeable: Man "proceeded" from the Old World
      monkeys.

      If you google on ("Charles Darwin" "Descent of Man" full-text), you
      will find several full-text editions of "Descent of Man" online. Here
      is one of them:

      http://www.zoo.uib.no/classics/darwin/descent.chap6.html

      In this version, you will will have to look up 3 paragraphs from the
      end, not two. The paragraph in italics, which would otherwise be
      represented as a footnote, is inserted into the text.

      I will agree that evolutionary biologists do not *now* say that humans
      descended from Old World monkeys. But it is undeniable that Darwin
      said so.

      Kind regards,

      Eric Pement