I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2005
      I just finished reading the book _I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an
      Atheist_ by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek. I must say that I
      thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I think it is one of the better
      introductions to apologetics that I have read. The book is written at
      a popular level, and as such it does not get bogged down with
      scholarly language that at times tends to talk "over the heads" of
      the author's intended audience.

      The authors present a case for the truth claims of the Bible and
      Christianity by following a 12 point outline format, beginning with a
      discussion about the concept of truth and how we can know what truth
      is. From there the book discuses the evidence for the existence of
      God, a discussion of miracles, the claims of Jesus in the New
      Testament, and concludes that the Bible is the Word of God. The 12
      point outline is as follows:

      1. Truth about reality is knowable.
      2. The opposite of true is false.
      3. It is true that the theistic God exists. This is evidenced by the:
      a. Beginning of the universe (Cosmological argument).
      b. Design of the Universe (Teleological argument/Anthropic
      principle).
      c. Design of life (Teleological argument).
      d. Moral Law (Moral argument).
      4. If God exists, then miracles are possible.
      5. Miracles can be used to confirm a message from God (i.e. as acts
      of God to confirm a word from God).
      6. The New Testament is historically reliable. This is evidenced by:
      a. Early Testimony
      b. Eyewitness Testimony
      c. Uninvented (authentic) testimony.
      d. Eyewitness who were not deceived.
      7. The New Testament says Jesus claimed to be God.
      8. Jesus' claim to be God was miraculously confirmed by:
      a. His fulfillment of many prophecies about Himself
      b. His sinless life and miraculous deeds
      c. His prediction and accomplishment of his resurrection
      9. Therefore, Jesus is God.
      10. Whatever Jesus (who is God) says is true.
      11. Jesus taught the Bible is the Word of God.
      12. Therefore, it is true that the Bible is the Word of God (and
      anything opposed to it is false).

      I would recommend this book to any skeptic who has doubts about the
      truth claim of the Bible and the Christian faith. I would also
      recommend it to believers who are looking for a well-reasoned and
      approachable method of defending why they believe as they do.

      But I would also like to know what other members of this forum think
      of this book. If you have read it, what do you think of Geisler and
      Turek's approach? Do you think their argument is sound? What, if any,
      are the weaknesses in how they argue their case?