Preterism

  • wernpete
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
      I may as well be the first to ask a question on this list.

      I have noticed that the doctrine of the Lord's return as become an
      apologetics issue with some. I read over at JP Holding's website, that
      he regards the teaching of immanence a real problem the way most
      evangelicals understand it. Thus, the door to preterism is opened,
      with some extreme positions holding that the Lord did return in 70 AD,
      albeit invisibly.

      In the real world, is this an apologetics issue? Or are we simply
      seeing a revival of the old eschatological battles?

      Werner
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
        Werner,

        Good question!

        Many non-Christians argue that the Bible is errant (and even that
        Jesus was errant) because the Gospels report Jesus predicting his
        return within a generation, a prediction that on a futurist reading
        of these eschatological statements would seem to be in error.
        Preterists for that reason conclude that straightening out our
        understanding of biblical eschatology is important for the defense
        of the Bible.

        I think they have a point. Furthermore, although I would reject a
        full-blown or thoroughgoing preterism (which sees everything in
        biblical prophecy as fulfilled by AD 70), I think there is some
        partial truth to a preterist reading of some of the Gospel
        eschatological statements. In my opinion Christians should be open
        to considering on a case by case basis whether particular statements
        in the Gospels refer to Christ's resurrection and exaltation, to the
        judgment on Jerusalem in AD 70, or to Christ's still future return
        in glory to resurrect humanity and judge the world.

      • Jeremiah
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2004
          Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think R.C. Sproul is a preterist (*not* a "full" preterist I hastily add :-).

          God bless,
          Jeremiah

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2004
            Jeremiah,

            You wrote:

            << Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think R.C. Sproul is a preterist (*not*
            a "full" preterist I hastily add :-). >>

            Yes, you're correct. He takes a moderately preterist approach to New
            Testament eschatology. See his book _The Last Days according to Jesus_
            (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2000).

          • Robert Hommel
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 6, 2004
              Hi, Rob,

              I agree! Well said.

              A few years ago, a friend of mine taught a class on Revelation at my
              church. He used Steve Gregg's _Revelation: Four Views, a Parallel
              Commentary_, which I found very helpful in delineating the
              historicist, preterist, futurist, and spiritual interpretations of
              Revelation (and by association, the predictions of Jesus in the
              Gospels).

              I personally am skeptical of full-blown preterism - too Euro-centric,
              IMHO. But seeing AD70 as a pivotal event in salvation history is
              certainly valid, and quite possibly necessary, if one regards Jesus'
              predictions as literal.

              Robert
            • Lenny Esposito
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 6, 2004

                Rob,

                I downloaded a copy of your bibliography, which looks quite useful.  I did notice that you didn’t include any titles from the Molinist perspective, such as Plantinga’s God, Freedom, and Evil or Craig’s The Only Wise God.  I’ve also found the comparative book Predestination and Free Will edited by David and Randall Basinger to be a good starting point.

                Lenny Esposito

                "Come Let Us Reason Together..."

                http://www.comereason.org/       e-mail:   Lenny@...

              • Robert Bowman
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 6, 2004
                  Lenny,

                  Thanks for the feedback. You talked me into expanding the bibliography to 25
                  works.... :) I added Craig's book (it's on my longer bibliography, which is
                  still a work in progress). A revised version of the bibliography should
                  appear in the Files section shortly.

                  --Rob