God's gift

  • handsome.monkey48
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2010
      Luke 2:12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

      Since today is Christmas, I thought I will share a Christmas message with you. Have you ever wonder what is so special about a Babe wrapped in "Swaddling Clothing?" You might say laying in a manger was something special as well, but this was a common occurrence in that age. The manger was only a feeding trough and in those days some babies was laid in the manger when they were first born.

      The swaddling clothing was the sign. This was unusual because babies at that time would not be in a swaddling clothing. Yes I know we do wrap babies in swaddling clothing to day but our swaddling clothing was not their swaddling clothing. A few years ago I went to this church and the regular Sunday School teacher was not there and the Pastor asked me to teach the adult Sunday School. The Pastor asked what was the swaddling clothing of which I did not have an answer at the time but told him I will find out and let him know.

      Here is what I found out: In those days they did not have a hearse to come and get you. Travelers will wear a burial cloth around their waste which was in strips. If they died on a trip, they would be buried right there or close to the nearest town, because their body will decompose fast in the heat of the day and could not be transported back home if the journey was far. This burial cloth was called swaddling clothing or swaddling strips.

      Jesus Christ was wrapped in either Joseph or Mary's burial cloth. When I find this information I thought how it fits Christ. Christ came into this world for one thing. To die for our sins. What he was wrapped in testify to why he came into this world. Later when the wise men brought him gifts, those gifts was also used in the Burial Process. As I said Christ came into this word to died.

      John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
      John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

      Christ came into this world to die for our sins. He was God's gift to man kind. God sent him into the world to die for our sins and he did so because he love man kind and wanted them all to have a chance at salvation. The Bible said whosoever will, let him come. The gift of Grace is free, but you got to accept it. I know there are people believing the giving of gifts is paganism but the whole thought behind the gift giving is God's gift to us. He gave us what we needed the most.

      Thank God for his gift to us!

      As you open gifts today think of God's gift to us. Thank God for his gift because without it we all will still be lost. Keep God in the midst of your celebration today.