Re: Why do they take offense?

  • Pancho, Ponsoy
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2010
      Hello Arcee!

      I assure you many American, British, Aussie expats here in Cebu City are very accommodating when it comes to these types of discussions. Sure, there are the brash and unreasonable types that can't tell the difference between an assertion and an argument, but when properly dealt with, they eventually stop insisting on their position.

      A good connection to the Bureau of Immigrations would easily silence these types, but it wouldn't do any good to make him rethink his worldview and position.

      Maybe if the group was able to handle that character a bit more adeptly, considering that the last I heard, the Philippine constitution with all it's defects was not constructed in a way that there was no room to allow for religious discussion in public. And that certainly cannot be written into the company policy book.  The constitution would overrule it.

      So, barring transferring to another call center that would allow for these discussions on the open, the best remedy (outside of engaging him in a viable discussion) would be to point it out to the human resources office, and maybe drop a hint that a complaint could be filed with the Department of Labor if this guy insisted that his ears be protected from religious discussions - maybe the HR people would have a quiet talk with the guy even if just to put him in his place.

      Surely, he can't be that valuable to displace so many people who have been employed at a pittance compared to what they would have paid for in Continental US of A to do the same job, just because he can't bear the thought of having to hear discussions about God.

      And of course, a good recourse would be to pray - that the Lord God Himself would check that arrogance in His own way. May the Lord God Almighty have mercy on him, if that happens.

      In another life, I would suggest other dubious options available to Pinoys, but we are called to be gracious. (1 Peter 3:15)

      Hope that helps.

      Alfonso