Why do they take offense?

  • Arcee A
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2010
      Hi Rob,

      Just want to ask you a question. My wife works in a call center here in Manila.
      Now here in the Philippines, we are quite free to discuss religion and practice
      our faith anywhere, whether you're a Christian, Muslim, a Hare-Krishna, or
      whatever. Places of business are open to religious activities, some even
      allowing people to use conference rooms or whatever room they can spare for
      Bible studies, Catholic masses, Muslim prayer rooms, etc.

      Now, there are some Americans who work in my wife's company. One American took
      offense when he saw and heard people discussing Jesus during their lunch break
      in the break room and wanted it halted. He took offense because he said he
      didn't believe in any religion, though my wife wasn't able to ask if he was an
      Athiest. We are puzzled by his insistence that relgion, no matter which one it
      may be, should not be discussed in the workplace. It was lunch break, I remind
      you, and it is normal to see some discussions with Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses,
      Iglesia Ni Cristo, Mormons, Hindus, etc.

      How come the American wanted it stopped? Isn't he trying to suppress the right
      to free speech? Are all American employers/employees like that?

      I would like to post this to the group but I feel it might be off topic and I
      certainly don't want to offend anyone. Though if you allow me, I'd post this to
      the group to see their views.

      Thanks and God bless!

      Arcee

      "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because
      I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis
    • Isa
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2010
        HI, Arcee;

        You should tell your wife to tell that American co-worker of hers to shut up. He/She is in the freest country on earth, more so when it comes to religion, and no American or any foreigner should tell us what to talk about during lunch break. If he/she doesn't want any religious discussions, he/she should just leave the group and sit somewhere else.

        Isa
        (Isabelo S. Alcordo, Ph.D.)
        ----

        --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, Arcee A <truthseeker41471@...> wrote:

        > Hi Rob,
        >
        > Just want to ask you a question. My wife works in a call center here in Manila.
        > Now here in the Philippines, we are quite free to discuss religion and practice
        > our faith anywhere, whether you're a Christian, Muslim, a Hare-Krishna, or
        > whatever. Places of business are open to religious activities, some even
        > allowing people to use conference rooms or whatever room they can spare for
        > Bible studies, Catholic masses, Muslim prayer rooms, etc.
        >
        > Now, there are some Americans who work in my wife's company. One American took
        > offense when he saw and heard people discussing Jesus during their lunch break
        > in the break room and wanted it halted. He took offense because he said he
        > didn't believe in any religion, though my wife wasn't able to ask if he was an
        > Athiest. We are puzzled by his insistence that relgion, no matter which one it
        > may be, should not be discussed in the workplace. It was lunch break, I remind
        > you, and it is normal to see some discussions with Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses,
        > Iglesia Ni Cristo, Mormons, Hindus, etc.
        >
        > How come the American wanted it stopped? Isn't he trying to suppress the right
        > to free speech? Are all American employers/employees like that?
        >
        > I would like to post this to the group but I feel it might be off topic and I
        > certainly don't want to offend anyone. Though if you allow me, I'd post this to
        > the group to see their views.
        >
        > Thanks and God bless!
        >
        > Arcee
        >

        > "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because
        > I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

      • faithhasitsreasons
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 15, 2010
          Arcee,

          What can I say? We have a noisy, nosy minority here in America that insists on squashing all positive mentions of the Christian faith or even of generic references to God in public places. They claim an absolute right not to be offended. It is ridiculous, but there it is.

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 16, 2010

            < Sigh>.  Oh well, will just have to pray for them.

            God bless!

            Arcee

            "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

            What can I say? We have a noisy, nosy minority here in America that insists on squashing all positive mentions of the Christian faith or even of generic references to God in public places. They claim an absolute right not to be offended. It is ridiculous, but there it is.

            --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, Arcee A <truthseeker41471@...> wrote:

            > Hi Rob,
            >
            > Just want to ask you a question. My wife works in a call center here in Manila.
            > Now here in the Philippines, we are quite free to discuss religion and practice
            > our faith anywhere, whether you're a Christian, Muslim, a Hare-Krishna, or
            > whatever. Places of business are open to religious activities, some even
            > allowing people to use conference rooms or whatever room they can spare for
            > Bible studies, Catholic masses, Muslim prayer rooms, etc.
            >
            > Now, there are some Americans who work in my wife's company. One American took
            > offense when he saw and heard people discussing Jesus during their lunch break
            > in the break room and wanted it halted. He took offense because he said he
            > didn't believe in any religion, though my wife wasn't able to ask if he was an
            > Athiest. We are puzzled by his insistence that relgion, no matter which one it
            > may be, should not be discussed in the workplace. It was lunch break, I remind
            > you, and it is normal to see some discussions with Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses,
            > Iglesia Ni Cristo, Mormons, Hindus, etc.
            >
            > How come the American wanted it stopped? Isn't he trying to suppress the right
            > to free speech? Are all American employers/employees like that?
            >
            > I would like to post this to the group but I feel it might be off topic and I
            > certainly don't want to offend anyone. Though if you allow me, I'd post this to
            > the group to see their views.
            >
            > Thanks and God bless!
            >
            > Arcee
            >

            > "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because
            > I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

          • Pancho, Ponsoy
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2010
              Hello Arcee!

              I assure you many American, British, Aussie expats here in Cebu City are very accommodating when it comes to these types of discussions. Sure, there are the brash and unreasonable types that can't tell the difference between an assertion and an argument, but when properly dealt with, they eventually stop insisting on their position.

              A good connection to the Bureau of Immigrations would easily silence these types, but it wouldn't do any good to make him rethink his worldview and position.

              Maybe if the group was able to handle that character a bit more adeptly, considering that the last I heard, the Philippine constitution with all it's defects was not constructed in a way that there was no room to allow for religious discussion in public. And that certainly cannot be written into the company policy book.  The constitution would overrule it.

              So, barring transferring to another call center that would allow for these discussions on the open, the best remedy (outside of engaging him in a viable discussion) would be to point it out to the human resources office, and maybe drop a hint that a complaint could be filed with the Department of Labor if this guy insisted that his ears be protected from religious discussions - maybe the HR people would have a quiet talk with the guy even if just to put him in his place.

              Surely, he can't be that valuable to displace so many people who have been employed at a pittance compared to what they would have paid for in Continental US of A to do the same job, just because he can't bear the thought of having to hear discussions about God.

              And of course, a good recourse would be to pray - that the Lord God Himself would check that arrogance in His own way. May the Lord God Almighty have mercy on him, if that happens.

              In another life, I would suggest other dubious options available to Pinoys, but we are called to be gracious. (1 Peter 3:15)

              Hope that helps.

              Alfonso