Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

One God and the Trinity

Expand Messages
  • Isabelo S Alcordo
    Rob, Paul, and All: Here is what I have written about the One God and the Trinity. I will appreciate your critical comments, if possible line-by-line so I can
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      Rob, Paul, and All:

      Here is what I have written about the One God and the Trinity. I will appreciate your critical comments, if possible line-by-line so I can also respond to you accordingly. You may disregards sections not germain to the main topic of GOD BEING ONE and the TRINITY. Also, I will apppreciate your attribution to me as the originator of the doctrine coovered by this paper. Thank you.

      Isa
      In Service to the Lay People of God

      -----------------------------------

      Biblical Theology: The Bible as a Book of Spiritual Revelations: God, Man, Death, and Resurrection

      Dr. Isabelo S. Alcordo, Ph.D.


      Part I. The Nature of God - One God in Three Persons


      I.1. God and Creation. The Bible is not a book where God tries to prove His existence. It simply assumes that God exists. I believe that the reason for this is simple. If and when man realizes who he is and what his ultimate fate will be, man will surely discover for himself the real existence of God and who God is.


      The Bible simply begins: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” (Gen 1:1). By His Word (Jn 1:1-5), in a series of “Let there be . . . ,” God created the seen and the unseen (Gen Chapts. 1-3). Thus,

      Jn 1:1-5: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.


      God’s creation of the visible world of living and nonliving matter and the invisible forces and laws that govern them that modern man has discovered which he presently uses not only to explain the workings of his observed universe but also to manipulate the same to create the most advanced technologies which mankind is enjoying today gives man no reason not to believe in the reality of God as his MAKER and as CREATOR of his universe. Thus, was Paul justified in declaring to man:

      Ro 1:18-20: The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities — his eternal power and divine nature — have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

      God in His Oneness is unknowable. Except for the fact that the One God revealed Himself to humankind in history, mankind would have never known the true God. In such ignorance, mankind would have continued to this day worshiping objects of nature or human kings, emperors, and rulers who, by their political power or military might, would claim to be “gods” and so hold the power of life and death over ordinary men and women, as it was of old.


      Thanks be to God, through the indwelling of certain persons with His Spirit, called prophets, He revealed Himself in the history of a chosen people, the nation Israel, who had recorded their history all the bloody and sordid details of their failure to live according to the Law and the Will of God. By these prophets, God was able to reach out to man to say that He was and is not beyond “knowing and understanding” (Jer 9:23-24) through His demands from mankind whom He created in “His image, in His likeness” (Ge 1:26).

      Jer 9:23-24: This is what the Lord says: “Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, 24 but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the Lord.

      Ge 1:26: Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”


      I.2. God is One and the Attributes of the One God. The true nature of God, according to the Bible, as revealed by men filled with the Holy Spirit of God, is that God is One (Deu 6:4-5; Isa 44:6; Mk 12:29).

      Deu 6:4-5: “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.”

      Isa 44:6: This is what the Lord says — Israel’s King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty: “I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.”

      Mk 12:29: “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.’”


      There are attributes of God that man is familiar with which man has felt and experienced himself at certain moments in his life in finite scales and are within man’s ability to aspire for. These are being holy, righteous, just, loving, kind, gracious, merciful, compassionate, good, faithful, and true to one’s words among so many others. One needs only to see a Bible concordance to read these attributes of God. God, of course, has these attributes in the scale of the infinite.

      But there are attributes that belong to God alone. Thus, God is self-existent (Ex 3:13-14). His existence is not caused by anything outside Himself. He is self-sufficient having life in Himself and in need of nothing from outside Himself (Ro 11:35-36).

      Ex 3:13-14: Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?” 14 God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

      Ro 11:35-36: Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him? 36 For from him and through him and to him are all things.


      He is omnipresent, being present in the highest heaven and in the deepest depth (Ps 139:7-8) and we even exist in Him (Ac17:26-28); omniscient, perceiving the thoughts of men from afar and knowing man’s words before they are uttered (Ps 139:2-6; Isa 40:13-14); and omnipotent, whose words created the heavens and the earth (Jn 1:1-5). And He is perfect in everything (Mt 5:47-48).

      Ps 139:7-8: Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? 8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

      Ac 17:26-28: From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. 27 God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 28 ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’

      Ps 139:1-4: O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. 2 You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. 3 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. 4 Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord.

      Isa 40:13-14: Who has understood the mind of the Lord, or instructed him as his counselor? 14 Whom did the Lord consult to enlighten him, and who taught him the right way? Who was it that taught him knowledge or showed him the path of understanding?

      Jn 1:1-35: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

      Mt 5:47-48: “And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”


      The One God is eternal and immutable. The book of Hebrews declares these attributes of the One God.

      Heb 1:10-12: In the beginning, O Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. 11 They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment. 12 You will roll them up like a robe; like a garment they will be changed. But you remain the same, and your years will never end.


      To all His finite creations, humans and spirits, the One God is incomprehensible (Job 11:7-8; Ro 11:33-36), beyond their mental understanding, and infinite (1 Ki 8:37; Jer 23:24), whose face or form is beyond their ability to visualize or to perceive and “in Him we live, move, and have our being (Ac 17:28).” And the One God is Sovereign (Isa 46:9-11), Lord of heaven and earth whom no one has seen or can see (1 Ti 6:15-16).

      Job 11:7-8: Can you fathom the mysteries of God? Can you probe the limits of the Almighty? 8 They are higher than the heavens — what can you do? They are deeper than the depths of the grave—what can you know?

      Ro 11:33: Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!

      1 Ki 8:27: But will God really dwell on earth? The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built!

      Jer 23:24: “Can anyone hide in secret places so that I cannot see him?” declares the Lord. “Do not I fill heaven and earth?” declares the Lord.

      Ac 17:28: For in him we live and move and have our being. As some of your own poets have said, “We are his offspring.”

      Isa 46:8-11: “I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. 10 I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please. 11 From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose. What I have said, that will I bring about; what I have planned, that will I do.”

      1 Ti 6:15-16: God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.


      I.3. One God in Three Persons - The Trinity. Moses declared (Deu 6:4-6): “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.” So did Jesus (Mk 12:29-31): “Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.”


      But before ascending to heaven, Jesus instructed (Mt 28:19-20) His disciples to baptize believers in the names of three persons, those “of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

      Mt 28:18-20: “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

      Thus, theologians of mainstream churches have deduced from the Bible that God is One in Three Persons - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit - the Holy TRINITY - all true Gods or have the fullness of the One God. If so, who really then is the One God?


      According to most mainline churches, the One God is “the Father;” to some He is “the Son, Jesus Christ;” to others He is “the Holy Spirit;” and still to others the One God is the “TRINITY.” So, who is really the One God?


      I.3.1. Is “the Father” the One God? Can “the Father” be the One God and at the same time be one of the Three in the Trinity? If so, then the others cannot be true Gods. But theologians have deduced that “the Son” and the “Holy Spirit” are true Gods. So, “the Father” cannot be One.


      I believe that it is possible to deduce who the One God is by a process of elimination using the attributes of the One God. Now, one of the attributes of the One God given earlier is that of being infinite. Since God is Spirit (Jn 4:23-24), the One God must be an infinite Spirit filling heaven and earth (Jer 23:24) without a defined form.

      Jn 4:23-24: “Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.”

      Jer 23:24: “Can anyone hide in secret places so that I cannot see him?” declares the Lord. “Do not I fill heaven and earth?” declares the Lord.


      Since it is impossible for finite beings to actually see with their own eyes that which is infinite, the One God must be beyond visual perception by His creatures, whether they are angels or men. Besides this irrefutable logical conclusion, this fact is confirmed in 1 Timothy 6:15-16 that declares that “no one has seen God nor can He be seen.” Can men or angels see or have men or angels seen “the Father?” Let the Bible answer this question.

      1 Ti 6:15-16: God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever.

      Mt 5:8: “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.”

      Mt 18:10: “See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.”

      Jn 6:44-47: 44 “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me. 46 No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father. ”


      Again, can “the Father” be the One Infinite God? Since angels, who are finite spirits, were reported by Jesus to be always seeing the face of God the Father in heaven, then the Father cannot be infinite and, therefore, cannot be the One Infinite God. Besides, the Christ Spirit, Who has a defined form and therefore finite claimed to have seen the Father (Jn 6:46-47). Also, Jesus said that men who are pure in heart will definitely see or behold God with their own eyes. Thus, we are led to no other conclusion but this: “God the Father” cannot be the One Infinite God. More so if God the Father is also the Almighty God of Israel whom the prophet Isaiah declared to have seen Him with his own eyes (Isa 6:5).

      Jn 6:46-47: “No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father.”

      Isa 6:5: “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”


      I.3.2. Can the Son (the Christ Spirit or Jesus the Man) Be the One God? Just as God the Father is not infinite in form, being seen by angels in heaven, so must God the Son or the Christ Spirit also have His pre-incarnation form distinguishable from that of the Father and the Holy Spirit. In His incarnation, God the Son assumed the form of the man JESUS (Heb 10:5-7), hence giving us more reasons to assert that the Christ Spirit or Jesus the Man cannot be the One Infinite God.

      Heb 10:5-7: Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said: “Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me; 6 with burnt offerings and sin offerings you were not pleased. Then I said, ‘Here I am — it is written about me in the scroll — I have come to do your will, O God.’”


      I.3.3. Can the Holy Spirit Be the One God? The Holy Spirit or the Spirit of God Himself has also His defined form as indicated by the report by the Father and the Son in Genesis.

      Ge 1:1-2. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.


      Also, it appears that the Holy Spirit is subject to both the Father (Jn 14:16) and the Son (Jn 15:26-27), and therefore, not Sovereign which is another irreducible attribute of the One God. The Holy Spirit appears to be more of a “Helper” to continue the work of Jesus, through the apostles and the Church, and to bring glory to the resurrected Christ Jesus (Jn 16:7, 12-15). Therefore, the Holy Spirit cannot be the One Infinite, Sovereign God!

      Jn 14:16-18: “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.”

      Jn 15:26-27: “When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me. 27 And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.”

      Jn 16:7, 12-15: “Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.” “. . . 12 I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.”


      1.3.4. Can the Holy TRINITY be the One God? The Holy Trinity is man’s collective term for the manifestation of the three distinct persons - “the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit” - of the One God. The word “Trinity” is not found in the Bible. It is also not a “person” and, therefore cannot be the One God.


      The process of elimination presented above has led us to no other conclusion, and that is: None of the Three Persons of the Trinity nor the Trinity is the One Infinite God. God the Father, however, appears to be the LIMIT of the One Infinite God’s revelation of Himself to angels. The Christ Spirit embodied in the man Jesus and in glorious body in human form or “like a son of man” after Christ Jesus’s resurrection from the dead (Rev 1:12-18) and ascension to heaven appears to be the LIMIT of both God the Father’s and the One Infinite God’s revelation of the nature of God to humankind (Jn 1:18; 14:9).

      Rv 1:12-18: And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and among the lampstands was someone “like a son of man,” dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. 14 His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. 15 His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. 16 In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

      17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. 18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.”

      Jn 1:18: No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known.

      Jn 14:9: “Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father.”


      I.3.5. The One God and the Evolution of The Trinity. Since neither the Father, nor the Son, nor the Holy Spirit, nor the Trinity is the One Infinite God, who or what is our One God?


      I believe that the One God is the Infinite Mind, the Infinite Intellect, the Infinite Spirit. In His Oneness, the One God is absolutely beyond perception and comprehension by His finite creations, both angels and men, unless He reveals Himself to them in some “finite” forms. This He did in a Trinity of Persons - as Father, as Son, and as Holy Spirit. As such, the Three Persons have the same essence as the One God, one of WILL and PURPOSE with the One God, and speak the words of the One God according to their separate roles, and are, therefore, true Gods. Such finite manifestations of the Infinite God facilitated His works of Creations and revelation of Himself in and to His creations. Having revealed Himself to His creations, it is natural that He demands recognition of Him as CREATOR and glorification by His intelligent creations of angels in the world of spirits and of men in the material universe. The Trinity also allowed Him to keep His very own Person pristine and untainted by His creations.


      How could the Trinity have come about? I believe that the One Infinite God’s DESIRE to CREATE led the One Infinite God to emanate and manifest finite essences of His Infinite nature.


      First, the Infinite God emanated and “personified,” that is, “defined or made “finite” in form so as to become manifest,” His Creative Will Whom He revealed to us as the “Father in heaven” (Mt. 18:10, p. 5) and designated by us as the “First Person of the Trinity.” And this “finite” Manifestation of the One Infinite God as God the Father impresses on us, who are of finite mind/intellect/spirit, an intimate “son-Father” relationship with the Infinite God and reveals to us that the One God’s act of creations was a Father’s act of love.


      Then again, but not in sequential time, the Infinite One God emanated and “personified” another Manifestation of Himself, His Creative Word or simply “the Word” (Jn 1:1-5, p. 1), Whom we have identified as the Second Person of the Trinity, Who called out into existence all that were created (Ge Chapts. 1-3). Having emanated from the Infinite God but proceeding from the “finite” God the Father, the Second Person of the Trinity is also called God the Son or Son of God (Jn 20:31). He is also called the Christ or the Christ Spirit (Heb 10:5-7, p. 6) Who incarnated in the person of Jesus of Nazareth.

      Jn 20:31: But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.


      With the Word, saying, “Let there be!” the Third Manifestation of the One God, His “personified” Creative Power - the Spirit of God (Mt 3:16-17; Ac 2:33-34) - Whom we call God the Holy Spirit - the Third Person of the Trinity - Who, emanating from the One God and proceeding from the Father and the Son, acted with all of the One God’s Divine Power (Ge 1:1-2) to actualize in perfection everything that was called out by the Word.

      Mt 3:16-17: As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

      Ac 2:33-34: Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear.

      Ge 1:1-2: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.


      Thus, by the One Infinite God’s act of love, personified in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit - the Holy Trinity - were the world of spirits and our world and everything therein created. And it is by the name “of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” that humankind is admitted into the Kingdom of God. (Mt 28:18-20). In adoring and loving recognition of the Infinite God behind the Holy Trinity, it is demanded of us that we glorify Him in all our worship and prayer. Thus, we pray “Glory be to the One Infinite God, in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.” Amen!

      Mt 28:18-20: Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”


      Reason, which is a gift of God, has led me to this NEW revelation for the Church of God and for humanity for our time and age. It could serve as the Doctrinal Foundation for the Unity of All Christian Church Denominations. It also demands on us to understand and to respect all non-Christian monotheistic religions and to dialogue with them to promote peaceful co-existence among the various faith communities since all worship the same One Infinite God.


      I.4. The Name of God. In the holy books of various nations, the One God has been given various names by His devotees. God’s names have become one of the many causes of religious divisions and conflicts. But whatever name God is called by the various nations, such as YHWH, Yahweh, Jehovah, I AM, Elohim, Allah, etc., none is His proper name but only a “descriptive name” to separate Him from all other names in the language of that nation. Almost always, such a name characterizes one of His many natures or acts in history. The only universal name of God is “God” in the tongues of His devotees. But whatever the equivalent of “God” in the language of a nation, it is not His one and only proper name for God is unnameable!


      The reason why God had not given humankind His proper name could be deduced from the belief of the ancients that whoever was able to call somebody by one’s proper name would possess some kind of control over the thing or person named. Remember Adam giving names and calling all the animals by their names to exercise his rule over them that God had given him? It is also to avoid that Sacred Name from being dishonored, disrespected, at worse, blasphemed by His creations. Therefore, God in His Oneness is unnameable to keep that Divine Name pristine and untainted by His creations.


      In most monotheistic religions, God is called “Father” in deference to His being the Creator of man and his universe. In Christianity, the most intimate address to God reflecting true filial (son-Father) relationship between the worshiping man and God is that of “Abba” or “Daddy or Papa” (Mk 14:35-36; Ro 8:12-17; Gal 4:1-7). Jesus endearingly addressed God as “Abba.”

      Mk 14:35-36: Going a little farther, he (Jesus) fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. 3 “Abba, Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”

      Ro 8:12-17: Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation — but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. 13 For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, 14 because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” 16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. 17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs — heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.”

      Gal 4:1-7: What I am saying is that as long as the heir is a child, he is no different from a slave, although he owns the whole estate. 2 He is subject to guardians and trustees until the time set by his father. 3 So also, when we were children, we were in slavery under the basic principles of the world. 4 But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, 5 to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons. 6 Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.” 7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.


      Slaves and servants in the time and culture of Jesus, as it is today in the case of house servants, were not allowed to address the heads of households “Abba!”
      I.5. JESUS, the Christ, the Redeemer. Genesis 1:26-27 and 2:7 give the story of the creation of the first man and woman whom God placed in His Garden and who were given one and only one prohibition (Ge 2:16-17), which was not to eat from the “tree of knowledge of good and evil.”

      Ge 1:26-27: Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

      Ge 2:7: And . . . the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

      Ge 2:16-17: “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.”


      Tempted by a fallen Cherubim, Lucifer or Satan, the devil, who spoke through a serpent, saying that God had really lied to them (Ge 3:4-5), the woman ate from the forbidden tree and gave some to her husband who also partook of it. For such transgression, God drove the man and the woman out of His Garden (Ge 3:22-24).

      Ge 3:4-5: “You will not surely die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

      Ge 3:22-24: And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” 23 So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. 24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.


      God also formed and infused another spiritual entity in fallen man, the “human spirit” or “spirit of man” which personifies man’s covetousness and envy to “be like God” which eventually dominated the soul (Zec 12:1; Jas 4:5).

      Zec 12:1-2: The Lord, who stretches out the heavens, who lays the foundation of the earth, and who forms the spirit of man within him, declares:

      Jas 4:5: Or do you think Scripture says without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely?


      Upon the death of their biological bodies, God condemned their physical bodies to return to dust (Ge 3:17-19) from where they were taken. The eternal inner man “created in the image of God, in His likeness” or “soul,” but now dominated by the spirit of man, was also condemned to Sheol or Hades in a “state of spiritual death” separated from God. A thorough discussion of these subjects will be given in the Sections on “The Nature of Man” and on “The Nature of Death.”
      Ge 3:17-19: “To Adam (Man) he said, ‘Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you,’ “You must not eat of it,” ‘Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life. 18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
      and you will eat the plants of the field. 19 By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.’”


      God also condemned the devil and promised him an adversary who would eventually crush him in defeat and through whom fallen man may be redeemed from his transgressions to stand once again in the presence of his Creator (Ge 3:15).

      Ge 3:15: “And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.”


      The history of the nation Israel - initially chosen by God (Ex19:5-6) to become a holy nation, a kingdom of priests on earth under the rule of God’s Messiah or Anointed - as recorded by the prophets of God in the Old Testament is the story of God’s plan to prepare a people for the coming of His Anointed, His Christ, the Jewish Messiah, man’s Redeemer in the Person of JESUS of Nazareth who would “save his people from their sins” (Mt 1:20-231) and, through the Jewish people, free mankind from the grip of Satan the devil.

      Ex 19:5-6: “Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, 6 you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.”

      Mt 1:20-21: But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”


      It was for that purpose that the Christ Spirit incarnated in the person of Jesus of Nazareth. The incarnation was the fleshing (Heb 10:5-7, p.6; 1 Jn 4:2-3; 2 Jn 7) of the Christ Spirit or, simply, the Christ, the Second Person of the Trinity, the Word of the One God (Jn 1:1-5; Jn 1:14). Thus in the man Jesus dwells the fullness of the One God in bodily form (Col 1:17-20; Col 2:9-10). In a real sense, the fleshing of the Christ Spirit in the body of Jesus, a man, has made the resurrected Christ Spirit, now in human form or “like a Son of Man” (Dan 7:13-14), true man and Christ Jesus in flesh true God - thus the name Christ Jesus or Jesus Christ.

      1 Jn 4:2-3: This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

      2 Jn 7: Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist.

      Jn 1:1-5: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.”

      Jn 1:14: “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.”

      Col 1:17-20. “He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.”

      Col 2:9-10. “For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity (Godhead) lives in bodily form, 10 and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.”

      Da 7:13-14: “In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. 14 He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.”


      Unfortunately, the Jewish nation, led by its leadership and priesthood, rejected Jesus as the promised Jewish Messiah on whom the Father committed the redemption of mankind and had Him crucified instead (Ac 2:29-36).

      Ac 2:29-36: “Brothers, I can tell you confidently that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day. 30 But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne. 31 Seeing what was ahead, he spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to the grave, nor did his body see decay. 32 God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact. 33 Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear. 34 For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said, ‘The Lord said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand 35 until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet.’ 36 Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”


      And the Gentiles who accepted Jesus as Savior and Lord and now constituted into the Church of God replaced the nation Israel as God’s Chosen People (1 Pet 2:9-10). This was revealed and declared by Peter, the apostle to the Jews, consistent with what Jesus had said to the nation Israel in Mt 21:43-44.

      1 Pe 2:9-10: But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

      Mt 21:43-44: “Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit. 44 He who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed.”


      The “Son-Father” relationship between the nation Israel and God ended with the tragic destruction of the Jewish temple, God’s earthly temple in Jerusalem, and the desolation of the land of Israel by the Roman army in 70 A.D. (Lk 21:20-22; Josephus - The War of the Jews). It also led to the dispersion of the Jews into the Gentile nations of the world.

      Lk 21:20-22: “When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near. 21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city. 22 For this is the time of punishment in fulfillment of all that has been written.”


      The sole message left to the Jews by the Christ Jesus valid to this day is given in Matthew 23:37-39. The implication of such a message, being addressed to Jerusalem, is that the Jews must accept, as a nation and not individually, Jesus in Spirit as the Son of king David promised by God to David in 1 Ch 17:10-14, now ruling in a heavenly throne over heaven and earth with God the Father.

      Mt 23:37-37: “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing. 38 Look, your house is left to you desolate. 39 For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’”

      1 Ch 17:10-14: “‘I declare to you that the Lord will build a house for you: 11 When your days are over and you go to be with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, one of your own sons, and I will establish his kingdom. 12 He (Solomon) is the one who will build a house for me, and I will establish his throne forever. 13 I will be his father, and he will be my son. I will never take my love away from him, as I took it away from your predecessor. 14 I will set him over my house and my kingdom forever; his throne will be established forever.’”

      Ac 2:29-35: “Brothers, I can tell you confidently that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day. 30 But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne. 31 Seeing what was ahead, he spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to the grave, nor did his body see decay. 32 God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact. 33 Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear. 34 For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said, ‘The Lord said to my Lord:’ “Sit at my right hand 35 until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet.”’


      The Jewish nation’s rejection of Jesus as the promised Messiah opened to the Gentiles, and remains open to individual Jews through faith in Jesus as personal Savior and Sovereign Lord, the door into the “son-Father” relationship with God the Father and with the One Infinite God. In and through Jesus, Christian Jews and Gentiles, constituting the Church of God (Mt 16:15-20; 1 Co 1:2-3), have now become the one People of God (Eph 2:14-18).

      Mt 16:15-20: “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

      17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

      1 Co 1:2-3: To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ — their Lord and ours: 3 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

      Eph 2:14-18: For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15 by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, 16 and in this one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17 He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18 For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.


      And according to Paul (Ro 9:6-9), the claim of the ethnic Jews as “God’s Chosen People” was a misunderstanding by that nation and was never intended by God in the over all plan of salvation. It was also a “conditional call” as Exodus 19:5-6 clearly shows: “. . . if you obey me fully and keep my covenant” which condition they failed miserably to meet as a nation. Thus, God’s merciful offer of grace through Jesus which the nation Israel again rejected (Jn 1:17-18) to this day.

      Ro 9:6-9: It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. 7 Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham’s children. On the contrary, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.” 8 In other words, it is not the natural children who are God’s children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham’s offspring. 9 For this was how the promise was stated: “At the appointed time I will return, and Sarah will have a son.”

      Jn 1:17-18: For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known.


      I.5.1. JESUS, the Name Above Every Name, and Christian Unity. Now, it has been established beyond doubt that the One Infinite God has not revealed His Proper Pristine Name to humankind. Even God the Father, the LIMIT of the One Infinite God’s revelation of Himself to His creations, has not given humankind His Proper Name - but simply the most fitting description of a loving Creator - which is that of “Father.” Thus, whatever name that refers to the One Infinite God or the finite “God our Father in heaven” that any ethnic group believed was revealed to its people, such a name must be accepted as a product of the uniqueness of its language and nothing more. Thus, any and all names that refer to the One Infinite God or the finite God the Father Who is worshiped as Creator of man and his universe are valid names of God to all monotheistic people. Thus, “The name of my God is God!” is a divine truth to English-speaking people. So is “The name of my God is YHWH or Yahweh or Jehovah!” to the Jews. And so also is “The name of my God is Allah!” to the Arabic people. By this truth and through mutual respect I believe it is possible to call all monotheistic religions to UNITY and be united as Peoples of the One God. It may be noted that the Koran, the Holy Book of Islam, calls both the Jews and the Christians “people of the book.”


      Christianity, however, is unique among the monotheistic religions in that it directs its adherents to call on one Name to reach out to God, and that Name happened to be the name of a human being. It should, however, be recognized also that that person happened to have been raised by God from the dead to put God’s imprimatur on that man as truly His Son (1 Col 15:3-8). This fact together with its implication to mankind is the Good News, the Gospel, that Christianity is now preaching to the whole world.

      1 Co 15:3-8: For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

      Ro 1:1-6: Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God— 2 the gospel he promised beforehand through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures 3 regarding his Son, who as to his human nature was a descendant of David, 4 and who through the Spirit of holiness was declared with power to be the Son of God by his resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord. 5 Through him and for his name's sake, we received grace and apostleship to call people from among all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith. 6 And you also are among those who are called to belong to Jesus Christ.

      Ro 1:16-17: I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 17 For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”


      And that Name is JESUS in English, YESHUA/YAHSHUA to the Messianic Jews or Yesous/Iesous in Greek or its equivalent in the thousands of languages and dialects in the world. The original meaning of the name has to do with Jesus’s work of salvation as indicated below (Mt 1:20-21; Php 2:5-11).

      Mt 1:20-21: “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

      Php 2:5-11: Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death — even death on a cross! 9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
      Ac 4:12: Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.


      But whatever name is used in the language of the various nations and peoples, as long as the name refers to the human person of the Christ Spirit as preached by the Elect of God, such name is a valid name of our Redeemer and Sovereign Lord!


      I.5.2. JESUS and the WILL of the Father in Heaven. Not all who call Jesus “Lord” or who, “prophesy, drive out demons, or perform many miracles in the name of Jesus” are true or approved people of the Christ Jesus. This fact is made very clear by Jesus in Matthew 7:21-23. As Jesus declared, it is only those who “obey the Will of the Father in heaven” are His co-workers in the kingdom of God on earth. So, to the lay people of God, be warned! Test your spiritual teachers and leaders by this standard.

      Mt 7:21-23: “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’”


      Now, obedience counts only when what we obey is the “true and correct Will of our Father in heaven.” It is, therefore, of utmost importance to know, without doubt, right from the Bible, what God’s Will was and still is to this day for our churches and for us individually. And this is the Will of our Father in heaven (Eph 1:3-10) for our churches and for us individually: To do the Father’s work on earth with everything we have, motivated only by our love of God, of Christ Jesus, and of our fellow man, to “bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ.”

      Eph 1:3-10: Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. 4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace 8 that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding. 9 And he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, 10 to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fulfillment — to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ.


      I believe that the time of fulfillment started when the resurrected Christ Jesus was called by God the Father “to sit at His right hand” as revealed by the apostle Peter (Ac 32-36).

      Ac 2:32-36: God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact. 33 Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear. 34 For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said, “The Lord said to my Lord: ‘Sit at my right hand 35 until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet.”’' 36 Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.


      And the resurrected Christ Jesus, before He ascended to His Father in heaven, commanded (Mt 28:16-20) His disciples, and today the Church as One Body and the members individually, what we have to do in obedience to that mysterious Will of God. I believe that it is only by our participation in the Great Commission that we become co-workers of Jesus in the Kingdom of God on Earth, thus warrants our being counted by our personal Savior and Sovereign Lord as among those who “does the will of my Father who is in heaven.”

      Mt 28:16-20: “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” AMEN!


      I.6. CONCLUSION. I believe that my insight into the nature of the One Infinite God is a NEW revelation to the Church of God, to the ekklesial communities, and to humanity for our time and age for our understanding of the various non-Christian monotheistic religions in the world. The revelation calls on us Christians to accept the worship by other monotheistic religions of their One God, by whatever name He is called, as true worship of the “One Infinite God” now revealed to Christianity.


      However, the command of Christ Jesus to us to “love your neighbor as yourself” demands that, through appeal to reasons, we must continue to reach out to them to bring the truth of the One God’s revelation of Himself in the Trinity if they, like us, were to stand on judgment day before a “God Who is a Father” to us and not one “Who is an Avenging God of Wrath” to those who reject the blood shed, the suffering, and the eventual death of His Only Begotten Son, Christ Jesus, on the cross which is the only Sin Offering acceptable to God the Father, hence to the One Infinite God (Ro 3:22-26).

      Jn 14:6-7: Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

      Ro 3:22-26: This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25 God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26 he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

      And as for us Christians, our adoring and loving recognition of the Reality of the One Infinite God behind the TRINITY by opening our prayers, praise, and worship with “Glory be to the One Infinite God in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” and addressing Him in the Person of “God the Father” or “our Father in heaven” in the Name of Jesus could serve as the doctrinal foundation for the Unity of the thousands of church denominations. It should also bring into focus the unquestioned monotheism of Christianity. AMEN!
    • Rob
      Isa, You wrote:
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 28, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        Isa,

        You wrote:

        << But before ascending to heaven, Jesus instructed (Mt 28:19-20) His disciples to baptize believers in the names of three persons, those “of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.... Thus, theologians of mainstream churches have deduced from the Bible that God is One in Three Persons - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit - the Holy TRINITY - all true Gods or have the fullness of the One God. If so, who really then is the One God? >>

        The doctrine of the Trinity denies that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are "true Gods"; rather, it teaches that they are one God.

        You wrote:

        << According to most mainline churches, the One God is "the Father;" to some He is "the Son, Jesus Christ;" to others He is "the Holy Spirit;" and still to others the One God is the "TRINITY." So, who is really the One God? >>

        Where are you getting your information about what "most mainline churches" teach?

        The orthodox Trinitarian position is that the one true God is the Trinity, existing eternally as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Furthermore, Trinitarian theologians recognize that the New Testament writers typically applied the "one God" language specifically to the Father, while they applied the parallel expression "one Lord" to Jesus Christ.

        You wrote:

        << Is "the Father" the One God? Can "the Father" be the One God and at the same time be one of the Three in the Trinity? If so, then the others cannot be true Gods. But theologians have deduced that "the Son" and the "Holy Spirit" are true Gods. So, "the Father" cannot be One. >>

        Isa, I'm sorry to have to say this, but you have wasted your efforts. You are trying to critically examine the doctrine of the Trinity without first understanding it (Prov. 18:13). The fact that you attribute the language of "true Gods" (plural) to Trinitarian theologians proves you have not done your homework.

        Please read some good Trinitarian theologians and then address your treatise to what the doctrine of the Trinity really teaches.

        In Christ's service,
        Rob Bowman
      • Isabelo S Alcordo
        Rob, Thank you for your comments. At the outset, know that I am not claiming to be one with the mainstream Trinitarian Theologians. I am writing this paper
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28, 2010
        • 0 Attachment

          Rob,

           

          Thank you for your comments. At the outset, know that I am not claiming to be one with the mainstream Trinitarian Theologians. I am writing this paper precisely because I find their expositions wanting.  Claiming that the doctrine of the Trinity as a MYSTERY is not very satisfying to men of reasons.

           

          You wrote:
          The doctrine of the Trinity denies that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are "true Gods";  rather, it teaches that they are one God.

           

          My response:
          If you have read the section on the “Evolution of the Trinity” from the One Infinite God, you will understand what I mean by “they are true Gods.”  It simply recognizes that the three “Persons” are  separate and  distinguishable one from another yet each expressive of the fulness of the One Infinite God in essence, will, and purpose according to their defined roles in creation and salvation, and therefore true Gods. As a matter of fact, since each is assigned a role by the One Infinite God specific to His Person, each may speak as “the One true God” in accordance with that role. Even angels when given a task to deliver a message by God speaks as if “He is God.”

           

          You wrote:

          Where are you getting your information about what "most mainline churches" teach?
          The orthodox Trinitarian position is that the one true God is the Trinity, existing eternally as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Furthermore, Trinitarian theologians recognize that the New Testament writers typically applied the "one God" language specifically to the Father, while they applied the parallel expression "one Lord" to Jesus Christ.

           

          My response:
          You have just answered your question by your saying “the "one God" language (is) specifically (applied) to the Father.”  The implication of that saying is clear: that “the Father is the One God” and this is what your mainline churches are teaching as they are taught by their theologians. Or they may misunderstood their theologians. I maintain that the Trinity is man’s collective term for the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. It is NOT a Person.

          Initially that was acceptable to me.  Before studying the attributes of God, my reasoning mind accepted “the Father as the One True God, with the Son proceeding from the Father, according to Scripture, and the Holy Spirit proceeding from the Father and the Son (according to the Filoque doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church’s understanding of Scripture), thus constituting the Trinity.  But then,  Scripture declares that “God is Infinite” and, for  certain, “the Father” is NOT Infinite, being seen by finite beings. Hence the Father cannot be the ONE INFINITE GOD! This is the major argument I have presented in this paper.

           

          But now you say that “the one true God is the Trinity.”  This to me is absolutely meaningless. The Trinity is NOT a “person.”  To non-Trinitarian theologians, it is simply the collective term for “the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.”  My position is that behind ‘the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit” is the One True Infinite God that the nature and the roles of the Three in creation and salvation are trying to reveal to man who is created in “our image, in our likeness.” This the doctrine that I am expounding in this post.

           

          You wrote:
          Isa, I'm sorry to have to say this, but you have wasted your efforts. You are trying to critical y examine the doctrine of the Trinity without first understanding it (Prov. 18:13). The fact that you  attribute the language of "true Gods" (plural) to Trinitarian theologians proves you have not done your homework.

           

          My response:
          Here is where the confusion lies. Do you deny that Trinitarian theologians declare that: “the Father is God?” That “the Son is God?” That “the Holy Spirit is God?” How then can they deny that they have “three Gods?”  The lay people are waiting for your exposition on this matter instead of hiding under the claim of a MYSTERY.  My attributing to Trinitarian theologians of “true Gods” is a logical conclusion to your and their  presentation of their doctrine of the Trinity.

           

          You wrote:

          Please read some good Trinitarian theologians and then address your treatise to what the doctrine of the Trinity really teaches.

           

          My response:
          Treatises on the Trinity by Trinitarian theologians are studies to show that “the Father is God,” that “the Son is God,” and that “the Holy spirit is God.” And then from nowhere they claim that “God is One!” to be consistent with the proclamation of Jesus, “The Lord is One,” and the Monotheism of Judaism and Islam. This is the reason why Unitarians and Oneness churches are claiming One of the Three to be their One and True God. 

           

          But then, NOT ONE OF THE THREE PERSONS meets the Attributes of the One True God proclaimed in the Bible, the most important being INFINITE and SOVEREIGN. The doctrine I have posted explains the Oneness of God and the Three Persons of the One Infinite God’s Manifestation to His creations. And explains much, much more.

           

          May God bless us all.
          Isa
          In Service to the Lay People of God


          -----Original Message-----
          From: Rob
          Sent: Mar 28, 2010 1:32 PM
          To: biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [biblicalapologetics] Re: One God and the Trinity

           

          Isa,

          You wrote:

          << But before ascending to heaven, Jesus instructed (Mt 28:19-20) His disciples to baptize believers in the names of three persons, those “of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.... Thus, theologians of mainstream churches have deduced from the Bible that God is One in Three Persons - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit - the Holy TRINITY - all true Gods or have the fullness of the One God. If so, who really then is the One God? >>

          The doctrine of the Trinity denies that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are "true Gods"; rather, it teaches that they are one God.

          You wrote:

          << According to most mainline churches, the One God is "the Father;" to some He is "the Son, Jesus Christ;" to others He is "the Holy Spirit;" and still to others the One God is the "TRINITY." So, who is really the One God? >>

          Where are you getting your information about what "most mainline churches" teach?

          The orthodox Trinitarian position is that the one true God is the Trinity, existing eternally as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Furthermore, Trinitarian theologians recognize that the New Testament writers typically applied the "one God" language specifically to the Father, while they applied the parallel expression "one Lord" to Jesus Christ.

          You wrote:

          << Is "the Father" the One God? Can "the Father" be the One God and at the same time be one of the Three in the Trinity? If so, then the others cannot be true Gods. But theologians have deduced that "the Son" and the "Holy Spirit" are true Gods. So, "the Father" cannot be One. >>

          Isa, I'm sorry to have to say this, but you have wasted your efforts. You are trying to critically examine the doctrine of the Trinity without first understanding it (Prov. 18:13). The fact that you attribute the language of "true Gods" (plural) to Trinitarian theologians proves you have not done your homework.

          Please read some good Trinitarian theologians and then address your treatise to what the doctrine of the Trinity really teaches.

          In Christ's service,
          Rob Bowman

        • Jeff
          Just wanted to voice agreement with Rob s point on Isa s incorrect view that in mainstream Christianity some see God as the Father, some as Jesus, some as the
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 29, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            Just wanted to voice agreement with Rob's point on Isa's incorrect view that in mainstream Christianity some see God as the Father, some as Jesus, some as the Holy Spirit.

            The truth is all in the mainstream Trinitarian see God as the Father and as the Son and as the Holy Spirit. There is one segment, Oneness Pentecostals, who see God as Jesus period, but they are not Trinitarians -- they see the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as modes that Jesus goes into.

            Two things to remember:

            1. The word "one" in Deut. 6:4 is the same as in Numbers when the literal Hebrew says the spies brought back one grape. Most realize that the word means a collective one, that the "one grape" was really "one bunch of grapes".

            2. In dealing with Scripture, there are four questions that need to be asked:
            a. Is there one God?
            b. Is the Father God?
            c. Is Jesus God?
            d. Is the Father and Jesus the same Person?
            Of course, Scripture clearly answers yes to the first two questions. Some conclude through the study of the Scripture that the third question is yes, while don't believe it and try to explain away the Scriptures used by the first group.

            The answer to the fourth question is the only one most would answer no to, because that's the one that makes sense. As I said above, oneness Pentecostals (also Apostolics) would answer yes to all four questions. Other non-Trinitarians are forced to incorrectly answer the third question "no". Now, if two different persons can be one God, then there is no problem with adding more -- Scripture limits it to three.

            Jeff

            --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <faithhasitsreasons@...> wrote:
            >
            > Isa,
            >
            > You wrote:
            >
            > << But before ascending to heaven, Jesus instructed (Mt 28:19-20) His disciples to baptize believers in the names of three persons, those “of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.... Thus, theologians of mainstream churches have deduced from the Bible that God is One in Three Persons - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit - the Holy TRINITY - all true Gods or have the fullness of the One God. If so, who really then is the One God? >>
            >
            > The doctrine of the Trinity denies that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are "true Gods"; rather, it teaches that they are one God.
            >
            > You wrote:
            >
            > << According to most mainline churches, the One God is "the Father;" to some He is "the Son, Jesus Christ;" to others He is "the Holy Spirit;" and still to others the One God is the "TRINITY." So, who is really the One God? >>
            >
            > Where are you getting your information about what "most mainline churches" teach?
            >
            > The orthodox Trinitarian position is that the one true God is the Trinity, existing eternally as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Furthermore, Trinitarian theologians recognize that the New Testament writers typically applied the "one God" language specifically to the Father, while they applied the parallel expression "one Lord" to Jesus Christ.
            >
            > You wrote:
            >
            > << Is "the Father" the One God? Can "the Father" be the One God and at the same time be one of the Three in the Trinity? If so, then the others cannot be true Gods. But theologians have deduced that "the Son" and the "Holy Spirit" are true Gods. So, "the Father" cannot be One. >>
            >
            > Isa, I'm sorry to have to say this, but you have wasted your efforts. You are trying to critically examine the doctrine of the Trinity without first understanding it (Prov. 18:13). The fact that you attribute the language of "true Gods" (plural) to Trinitarian theologians proves you have not done your homework.
            >
            > Please read some good Trinitarian theologians and then address your treatise to what the doctrine of the Trinity really teaches.
            >
            > In Christ's service,
            > Rob Bowman
            >
          • Paul Leonard
            Uh, Jeff, That means to be consistent you would say God is one bunch of Gods . That asctually supports his contention you speak of and believe in three
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 29, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              Uh, Jeff,

              That means to be consistent you would say God is "one  bunch of Gods". That asctually supports his contention you speak of and believe in three "Gods". They did not bring back ONE GRAPE.



                Two things to remember:1. The word "one" in Deut. 6:4 is the same as in Numbers when the literal Hebrew says the spies brought back one grape. Most realize that the word means a collective one, that the "one grape" was really "one bunch of grapes".


              2. In dealing with Scripture, there are four questions that need to be asked:
              a. Is there one God?
              b. Is the Father God?
              c. Is Jesus God?
              d. Is the Father and Jesus the same Person?
              Of course, Scripture clearly answers yes to the first two questions. Some conclude through the study of the Scripture that the third question is yes, while don't believe it and try to explain away the Scriptures used by the first group.

              The answer to the fourth question is the only one most would answer no to, because that's the one that makes sense. As I said above, oneness Pentecostals (also Apostolics) would answer yes to all four questions. Other non-Trinitarians are forced to incorrectly answer the third question "no". Now, if two different persons can be one God, then there is no problem with adding more -- Scripture limits it to three.

              Jeff

              --- In biblicalapologetics @yahoogroups. com, "Rob" <faithhasitsreasons @...> wrote:
              >
              > Isa,
              >
              > You wrote:
              >
              > << But before ascending to heaven, Jesus instructed (Mt 28:19-20) His disciples to baptize believers in the names of three persons, those “of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.... Thus, theologians of mainstream churches have deduced from the Bible that God is One in Three Persons - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit - the Holy TRINITY - all true Gods or have the fullness of the One God. If so, who really then is the One God? >>
              >
              > The doctrine of the Trinity denies that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are "true Gods"; rather, it teaches that they are one God.
              >
              > You wrote:
              >
              > << According to most mainline churches, the One God is "the Father;" to some He is "the Son, Jesus Christ;" to others He is "the Holy Spirit;" and still to others the One God is the "TRINITY." So, who is really the One God? >>
              >
              > Where are you getting your information about what "most mainline churches" teach?
              >
              > The orthodox Trinitarian position is that the one true God is the Trinity, existing eternally as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Furthermore, Trinitarian theologians recognize that the New Testament writers typically applied the "one God" language specifically to the Father, while they applied the parallel expression "one Lord" to Jesus Christ.
              >
              > You wrote:
              >
              > << Is "the Father" the One God? Can "the Father" be the One God and at the same time be one of the Three in the Trinity? If so, then the others cannot be true Gods. But theologians have deduced that "the Son" and the "Holy Spirit" are true Gods. So, "the Father" cannot be One. >>
              >
              > Isa, I'm sorry to have to say this, but you have wasted your efforts. You are trying to critically examine the doctrine of the Trinity without first understanding it (Prov. 18:13). The fact that you attribute the language of "true Gods" (plural) to Trinitarian theologians proves you have not done your homework.
              >
              > Please read some good Trinitarian theologians and then address your treatise to what the doctrine of the Trinity really teaches.
              >
              > In Christ's service,
              > Rob Bowman
              >

            • Isa
              Jeff, You said, all in the mainstream Trinitarian see God as the Father and as the Son and as the Holy Spirit. That is not very precise. It could have
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 30, 2010
              • 0 Attachment
                Jeff,

                You said, "all in the mainstream Trinitarian see God as the Father and as the Son and as the Holy Spirit." That is not very precise. It could have several meanings.

                Now, do you mean "all in the mainstream Trinitarian see 'the Father as true God' and 'the Son as true God' and 'the Holy Spirit as true God?'" This is the correct formulation of the Trinitarian doctrine. If so, how could we declare "God is one?" Unless . . . all three are "personified" emanations of the One True and Infinite God, with the Son proceeding from the Father and the Holy Spirit proceeding from the Father and the Son as each does His role in creation and salvation . . . which is what the Doctrine that I deduced from my study of the subject.

                You comment is highly appreciated.

                May God bless us all.

                Isa
                In Service to the Lay People of God
                --------------



                is to mean, in the usual way of understanding the sentence, "to see God in the role of Father, that of the Son, my understanding my mind

                --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <preachingjeff@...> wrote:
                >
                > Just wanted to voice agreement with Rob's point on Isa's incorrect view that in mainstream Christianity some see God as the Father, some as Jesus, some as the Holy Spirit.
                >
                > The truth is all in the mainstream Trinitarian see God as the Father and as the Son and as the Holy Spirit. There is one segment, Oneness Pentecostals, who see God as Jesus period, but they are not Trinitarians -- they see the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as modes that Jesus goes into.
                >
                > Two things to remember:
                >
                > 1. The word "one" in Deut. 6:4 is the same as in Numbers when the literal Hebrew says the spies brought back one grape. Most realize that the word means a collective one, that the "one grape" was really "one bunch of grapes".
                >
                > 2. In dealing with Scripture, there are four questions that need to be asked:
                > a. Is there one God?
                > b. Is the Father God?
                > c. Is Jesus God?
                > d. Is the Father and Jesus the same Person?
                > Of course, Scripture clearly answers yes to the first two questions. Some conclude through the study of the Scripture that the third question is yes, while don't believe it and try to explain away the Scriptures used by the first group.
                >
                > The answer to the fourth question is the only one most would answer no to, because that's the one that makes sense. As I said above, oneness Pentecostals (also Apostolics) would answer yes to all four questions. Other non-Trinitarians are forced to incorrectly answer the third question "no". Now, if two different persons can be one God, then there is no problem with adding more -- Scripture limits it to three.
                >
                > Jeff
                >
                > --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <faithhasitsreasons@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Isa,
                > >
                > > You wrote:
                > >
                > > << But before ascending to heaven, Jesus instructed (Mt 28:19-20) His disciples to baptize believers in the names of three persons, those “of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.... Thus, theologians of mainstream churches have deduced from the Bible that God is One in Three Persons - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit - the Holy TRINITY - all true Gods or have the fullness of the One God. If so, who really then is the One God? >>
                > >
                > > The doctrine of the Trinity denies that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are "true Gods"; rather, it teaches that they are one God.
                > >
                > > You wrote:
                > >
                > > << According to most mainline churches, the One God is "the Father;" to some He is "the Son, Jesus Christ;" to others He is "the Holy Spirit;" and still to others the One God is the "TRINITY." So, who is really the One God? >>
                > >
                > > Where are you getting your information about what "most mainline churches" teach?
                > >
                > > The orthodox Trinitarian position is that the one true God is the Trinity, existing eternally as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Furthermore, Trinitarian theologians recognize that the New Testament writers typically applied the "one God" language specifically to the Father, while they applied the parallel expression "one Lord" to Jesus Christ.
                > >
                > > You wrote:
                > >
                > > << Is "the Father" the One God? Can "the Father" be the One God and at the same time be one of the Three in the Trinity? If so, then the others cannot be true Gods. But theologians have deduced that "the Son" and the "Holy Spirit" are true Gods. So, "the Father" cannot be One. >>
                > >
                > > Isa, I'm sorry to have to say this, but you have wasted your efforts. You are trying to critically examine the doctrine of the Trinity without first understanding it (Prov. 18:13). The fact that you attribute the language of "true Gods" (plural) to Trinitarian theologians proves you have not done your homework.
                > >
                > > Please read some good Trinitarian theologians and then address your treatise to what the doctrine of the Trinity really teaches.
                > >
                > > In Christ's service,
                > > Rob Bowman
                > >
                >
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.