Re: Resurrection - Lazarus's and Jesus'

  • Isa
    Message 1 of 63 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi, Rob:

      Sorry for the delay in replying to your post. I was invited by my Alma Mater to give the Opening Address to its Centennial Celebration (1910-2010) and had to spend a lot of time framing and writing my paper. Now, I am back.

      Because of the length of my response, I am cutting it into several Parts. This is Part I.

      Part I. The Nature of Sinless Man: Body and Soul

      A. Basically, Man Is One Animal among the Many

      Man is basically one among the many animal creatures of God.

      Genesis 2:7 reported the initial physical creation of humankind: "7 . . . the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living (soul) being."

      In the same manner, as Genesis 2:19 reported, were the animals created:

      Gen 2:19: "Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the beasts of the field and all the birds of the air."

      Both were biological and mortal because they needed food for their sustenance; fruits and seeds for man and green plants for the animals:

      Gen 1:29 Then God said to man, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food."

      Gen 1:30: "And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground — everything that has the breath of life in it — I give every green plant for food.".

      And both man and animal have the same "life-breath or breath of life or ruach" - the impersonal breath of life from God for all air-enhaling creatures.

      Ge 7:22-23: "Everything on dry land that had the breath of life in its nostrils died. 23 Every living thing on the face of the earth was wiped out; men and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds of the air were wiped from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those with him in the ark."

      B. What Made Man Different from the Animals

      But only Man was created in the Image of God, according to His Likeness which is the SOUL - the true image of God - initially created in the Mind of God:

      Ge 1:27-31: "God said, `Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.' 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them."

      And that SOUL was then "breathed" into the nostril of animal-man taken from the dust of the ground quickening every cell in the human form and in effect assuming the physical form of man:

      Gen 2:7: ". . . 7 the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being." Or "LIVING SOUL."

      C. Implications of "a Living Soul":

      a) The "living soul" is also its "own template"- not breathed individually by God at every conception (the male-female bodies having their own template at fertilization) in the reproduction of the human race: Ge 1:28: "28 God blessed them and said to them, `Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it.'"

      b) The pristine soul also served as a "bridge between the spirit world and the world of matter. The animal-Man was enabled, through the soul in its purity at creation, to see and communicate with God, Who is Spirit (Jn 4:24: "God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."), and with the spirit world, making man alive in that world of spirits. Similarly, God who is Spirit was enabled, through the soul, via the animal-Man became alive to man and to the material universe. Thus, we may say that initially, man was dual - body and soul - truly a living being, a living soul in both worlds of spirit and matter.

      C. What the Soul Is

      Man's mandate to "Subdue the earth" makes the Soul the Seat of Intellect. It is reasonable to believe that God - in creating man, the earth as his dwelling place, and man's perceivable universe from his vantage point - had given man the capacity to know and to understand the nature of matter of which the universe is made of, the forces that govern all matter, and the laws that define the interaction between matter and force in the workings of the created universe. This is demanded from God's mandate to man "to subdue the earth," that is, to know, to understand, and to harness the universe's resources and the forces and the laws that are embedded in His creations for the benefit of humankind. This is only possible if man was created as a "kind of a mind" with the mind-man created for the universe and the universe for man, coupling the workings of the universe to the workings of the human mind. Since the human mind, at the highest level of analysis, uses pure reason or logic, it follows that the universe and its workings can be discovered through use of logic the end-results of which are expressed in mathematical equations.

      As God declared, it is only man, of all those which have the breath of life, who was "created in the image of God, in His likeness." Since only mind has the potential ability to perceive, to know, to understand the limit of God's revelation of Himself, the workings of God's creations, and the ability to harness the resources, forces, and laws of the material universe, whose Creator is God, then it is not unreasonable to conclude that what was created as an image of God in man was the image of God as Mind, which mirrors the divine intellect and emotions. That is to say that the mind of man, however limited it may be in its ability to comprehend the fullness of God and the laws embedded in God's creations, is a reflection, an image of God as Mind or the Mind of God. It is this man's God-like nature that differentiates man from all the animals.

      The human mind, as an image of its Creator, is what is commonly called the "soul" or the "personalized breath" of God in each man that guides the evolution of the physical brain. This makes the soul the spiritual seat of the intellect, mental and emotional, and the repository of memories, a requisite for intellect, whose interaction with the human brain produces thoughts - both random and highly organized, while the physical body expresses his/her animal or biological nature.

      D. The Mortal Nature of the Soul

      There is no question that the the pristine body of man was/is mortal. Precisely because the "life of the soul" was dependent on the human body, this also makes the soul "mortal" in the sense that when separated from the body, it goes into a "state of death" until God chooses to destroy it by leaving it for all time in the grave or hell.

      Mt 10:28: Mt 10:28: "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." In the Bible,"hell" could also mean the grave.

      The presence of the "Tree of Life" at the center of the garden where he placed man shows God's intention to give the soul an immortal body at such time that He alone determines.

      To be continued.

      May God bless us all

      In Service to the People of God.

      --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <faithhasitsreasons@...> wrote:
      > Isa,
      > Your questions are not "clarificatory" but argumentative. I await your presentation of your own beliefs on these questions, followed by your promised response to my arguments concerning Jesus' resurrection, presented in the following post:
      > FYI, I hold that human nature is fundamentally a dichotomy. I am familiar with the arguments for trichotomy but do not agree with them. But again, I am interested in your response to the above-cited post.
      > --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Isa" <isalcordo@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi, Rob:
      > >
      > > Thanks for your reply putting your doctrine/concept in writing on the issue of man, death, and resurrection. But let me first ask clarificatory questions and I will then follow these with my doctrine in my next post.
    • Jeff
      Message 63 of 63 , Feb 27, 2010

        I'm so backlogged I didn't see this until after the other replies.

        I'll tell you what. Considering I don't have a lot of time to read this (and I know enough to know that there are probably sites that say just the opposite), I'll read it only under one condition. That is if you read David Dolan's good book "Holy War for the Holy Land". Does your article agree or disagree with his suppositions? If it agrees, it may be worth reading.

        Thanks again.