Re: [biblicalapologetics] Re: Resurrection - of the body or the spirit-soul?

  • Andrew Pike
    Message 1 of 63 , Jan 16, 2010
      Hello Paul,

      Thank you for your comments with regards to my post.

      Psalm 146 is a warning to the Jews not to place their trust in earthly princes, because one day (from the perspective of the Psalmist) the Prince's thoughts as a human being will cease, and they the Jews will no longer be able to put their faith in him. Psalm 145 is a similar scenario. The earthly plans end at death. I hope you don't mind me asking but do I have the correct Psalm? It is Psalm 145 verse four that you quoted? The reason why I ask is that every bible (NV', NASB', 'MSG', Amplified', 'NLT', 'KJV', ESV', 'CEV', 'NKJV', 'NCV', 'ASV', 'YLT', 'DB', 'Holman', 'NIRV', and the 'TNIV') that I have read doesn't contain your following quote of "all their thoughts shall perish."

      I agree with you, the account in Genesis 2:7 tells us that Adam became a "living soul (nephesh)." The soul normally (with reference to livings things) denotes the physical and biological existence of men and animals, but there are fundamental differences between the human race and the animal kingdom. We differ in that we are a greater form of life possessing cognitive awareness, conscience, and being made in God's image (Genesis 1:26,27). No animal has these abilities. Jesus said that a man's soul was different to that of an animal's. He said that the human soul cannot fully die (Matthew 10:28). In Luke 12:4-5 Jesus talks about not fearing people who can kill the body, but to fear God who has power to do more to the body than just kill it!

      You wrote:

      "ASV Luke 8:55 And her spirit returned, and she rose up immediately: and he commanded that something be given her to eat."

      Does this Scripture indicate that the "spirit" is in reference to the woman breathing or the return of her 'spirit?'

      You wrote:

      "At death the person dies and the body is buried. The breath of life or a person's spirit returns TO God, not to Limbo, Abraham's bosom, Sheol, etc."

      The account in question details the suffering experienced by Lazarus.

      Take Care,

      From Andy

      From: preachingjeff <preachingjeff@ yahoo.com>

      Let's figure something out. You point out that all translations say "Resurrection from the dead", and none say "bodily resurrection. " Your conclusion is that it does not mean bodily resurrection but rather means the resurrection of the spirit-soul.

      But something else is equally true. I bet none of your translations read "resurrection of the spirit-soul" but rather say "resurrection from the dead." Thus, one can reject your concept for the very same reasons you reject bodily resurrection.

      The question is what is meant by resurrection from the dead. Considering that death involves the body as well as the spirit-soul, the best solution is not to take the resurrection of the dead as either-or but all of the above.

      Jeff

    • Jeff
      Message 63 of 63 , Feb 27, 2010
        Isa,

        I'm so backlogged I didn't see this until after the other replies.

        I'll tell you what. Considering I don't have a lot of time to read this (and I know enough to know that there are probably sites that say just the opposite), I'll read it only under one condition. That is if you read David Dolan's good book "Holy War for the Holy Land". Does your article agree or disagree with his suppositions? If it agrees, it may be worth reading.

        Thanks again.

        Jeff