Did I introduce myself to this group?

  • preachingjeff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2010
      I've joined several groups a couple of weeks ago, and do not remember if I introduced myself here or not. If not, here goes.

      My name is Jeff Reynolds and I live in Indianapolis. My wife Becky and I have been married for 26 1/2 years as of a week from Saturday. No kids of either two or four legged variety.

      I am an ordained minister but not in pastoral leadership. I teach an adult SS class at Arlington Avenue Baptist Church (SBC) here in town. I am a graduate of Southwestern Conservative Baptist Bible College in Phoenix ('86). My wife and I have both had Precept Ministries training as well as being volunteers with Voice of the Martyrs for several years (we aren't doing that now due to lack of time). I'm involved with Toastmasters and earned my DTM; Becky is a hospital chaplain.

      I will be a published novelist in a few month. "An Apologetic For Murder", a murder mystery that takes place at a Christian apologetics conference, has gone through the editing process and is on the waiting list for graphic design.

      One question that intrigued me in John Piper's "The Supremacy of God in Preaching" was when he pointed out his seminary professor encouraged his students to select a theologian to immerse themselves in (Piper chose Jonathan Edwards). While I have some hesitations, the two that I would have selected were Tertullian and Athanatius; since then, Francis Shaeffer has worked his way up the list. The most influential Christian leaders in my life include Dave Hunt, John MacArthur, columnist Cal Thomas, and Christian musician Steve Taylor. Favorite and influential non-fiction books include "An Urgent Call To A Serious Faith" (Hunt), "The Gospel According To Jesus" (MacArthur), "Total Truth" (Nancy Pearcey), "Balancing Life's Demands" (Grant Howard), "Already Gone" (Ken Ham), "Discipled Warriors" (Chuck Lawless), and -- with some reservations -- "Your Spiritual Gifts Can Help Your Church Grow" (C. Peter Wagner). I haven't read as much by him, but Gary Habernas has made a positive impact on me as well, and the same is true with Ravi Zacharias.

      What do I do with my free time? I love music, and am an out-of-practice songwriter/guitarist/pianist. My wife and I have been to over 35 different zoos. I am a sports fan, especially of women's basketball and baseball/softball.

      I hope you all have a blessed Lord's day.

      Jeff