Re: The GC to the Apostles only?

  • faithhasitsreasons
    Message 1 of 96 , Sep 10, 2009
      Dear Isalcordo,

      Welcome to the Biblical Apologetics Group!

      You asked:

      << May the group help enlighten me as to whether there is any difference between "make disciples OF all nations" and "make disciples IN all nations?"

      Not really. A more woodenly literal translation that represents the grammar of the words more directly would be something like "disciple all the nations" or "make all the nations disciples." The word "nations" (_ethne_) refers not to the political entities but to the peoples of all nationalities or ethnicities; it is in other contexts often translated "Gentiles" when used in contrast to the Jews (though that is not the case in Matthew 28:19). Jesus is not saying that every individual in all the nations will actually become disciples but that the church's mission is discipling people of or in all nations. We are to call all people to follow Jesus.

    • Isa
      Message 96 of 96 , Oct 26, 2009
        Bill,

        Religion is not science. Nobody could have "corrected" the Bishop of Rome. The most one can do really is to propose or argue a different "opinion" on certain subject, like the canonicity of certain writings from that expressed by the Pope, or on the Pope's stand on certain "unsettled" church issues. Of course, one can expose abuses by Popes, as did Luther on the sellling of iidulgences. But that did not happen in the first 1000 years of the Catholic Church.

        Isabelo
        In the Service of the Lay People of God.