Re: Any input regarding a question from a skeptic about Pilate and the crucifiction?

  • Heinz Schmitz
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 28, 2009
      --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Robert M. Bowman, Jr." <faithhasitsreasons@...> wrote:

      > Heinz,
      >
      > Your many responses on this thread have not even tried to address the historical issues concerning the original question about Pilate and Jesus' burial. That's all anyone needs to know to see why your responses are getting no respect.

      Reply: I have not "tried to address the historical issues concerning the original question about Pilate and Jesus' burial" because I do not feel it is historical to begin with. We are talking about one the most important and magical figures ever, yet the historians of his time seem almost completely unaware of him.
      Heinz
    • Heinz Schmitz
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 28, 2009
        --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, tcmadd2@... wrote:

        > Heinz,
        >
        > Actually, your entire argument is based on your speculation about what Pontius Pilate would have done. Pilate had a very good reason to do things like this.? The request came from a politically influential member of the Sanhedren. Keeping the peace in Jerusalem and Judea was very much in his interest as procurator. The "buck" ended with him regarding local matters.? The Romans were interested in order and taxes. A concession to a local dignitary that cost him nothing would be entirely reasonable.
        >
        > Tom Maddux

        Reply: I have no argument - to me it likely never happened and to keep these unlikely stories alive is a disservice to many who need to have their minds emancipated from thoughts of devils and spirits knocking them to the ground. Harry's message yesterday about this should send chills down the spines of everyone here, and you are all complicit in the damage done to this man.
        Heinz
      • madmc492002
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 28, 2009
          Heinz:

          I am not a public figure, therefore your disparaging comments about me could be fodder for my legal counsel, if I were so inclined. Your judgment of me has been made on a few comments in cyberspace, but you seem to think you know everything. You don't: I have a BA in Journalism with a minor in Anthopology. I spent 20 years in the newsgathering business. My wife and I have raised two sons, and we are considered stable pillars in our community. I earn a substantial salary (six figures the last several years), and regularly negotiate contracts with executives and business owners.

          Because I believe in the power of the Holy Spirit, the love of the Father, and the death and resurrection of His Son Jesus Christ does not make me damaged goods. It simply makes me a Christian.

          You choose to debate Pilate. Actually, you would be surprised to know I think he's a tragic figure, seed for a Shakespearean tragedy. I agree with Tom: His choices were political. But even he acknowledged, according to Scripture, there was something wrong in what was being done to Jesus. Why else would he offer the choice of two men? Why else would he want to wash his hands of the whole affair? If you don't think it happened, then why debate it?

          I choose not to engage further with you because you relish ad hominen attacks on the characters of those who challenge you. If that's the only way you can debate, then you've shown who you are. You must be losing the argument again today, because I who sat silent for 24 hours am now the latest in your character assassination.

          Have a good day.

          Harry

          --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Heinz Schmitz" <christian_skeptic@...> wrote:

          > --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, tcmadd2@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Heinz,
          > >
          > > Actually, your entire argument is based on your speculation about what Pontius Pilate would have done. Pilate had a very good reason to do things like this.? The request came from a politically influential member of the Sanhedren. Keeping the peace in Jerusalem and Judea was very much in his interest as procurator. The "buck" ended with him regarding local matters.? The Romans were interested in order and taxes. A concession to a local dignitary that cost him nothing would be entirely reasonable.
          > >
          > > Tom Maddux
          >
          > Reply: I have no argument - to me it likely never happened and to keep these unlikely stories alive is a disservice to many who need to have their minds emancipated from thoughts of devils and spirits knocking them to the ground. Harry's message yesterday about this should send chills down the spines of everyone here, and you are all complicit in the damage done to this man.
          > Heinz

        • Heinz Schmitz
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 28, 2009
            --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "madmc492002" <harrymc@...> wrote:

            > Heinz:
            >
            > I am not a public figure, therefore your disparaging comments about me could be fodder for my legal counsel, if I were so inclined. Your judgment of me has been made on a few comments in cyberspace, but you seem to think you know everything. You don't: I have a BA in Journalism with a minor in Anthopology. I spent 20 years in the newsgathering business. My wife and I have raised two sons, and we are considered stable pillars in our community. I earn a substantial salary (six figures the last several years), and regularly negotiate contracts with executives and business owners.

            Reply: It's interesting that you start off with a threat, and none of the rest makes you immune to psychological damage or delusions. If anyone, ANYONE, I don't care about their social status, told they were knocked down by the holy spirit, I would tell them the same thing: Please, seek professional help!
            I once knew a lady who was raped but insisted this was done by a spirit. This idiocy made it possible for a rapist to go free. This is the danger of sanctioning and glorifying superstitious beliefs.
          • harrymc@att.blackberry.net
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 28, 2009
              I'm not threatening. Read the sentence again.

              As for the rest of your comments why bother responding? You're convinced you're saner and smarter. I'll leave you with your opinion.

              Harry

              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              From: "Heinz Schmitz"
              Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:51:23 -0000
              To: <biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: [biblicalapologetics] Re: Any input regarding a question from a skeptic about Pilate and the crucifiction?

              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 29, 2009
                --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, harrymc@... wrote:

                > I'm not threatening. Read the sentence again.
                >
                > As for the rest of your comments why bother responding? You're convinced you're saner and smarter. I'll leave you with your opinion.
                >
                > Harry
                > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                Some of the responses here are very interesting, and I have to wonder how much thought goes into them. For instance: "You're convinced you're saner and smarter." This is true, I suspect I do feel this way, but how does this make me different than anyone else here? No one here is arguing a position that they feel is insane or dumb. Christians as a rule feel they are smarter and saner than everyone else. Why am I being condemned for thinking as you do? Why am I not allowed the same standard?
                If you think this an arrogant stance for me to take, then you must concede your own arrogance for feeling as you yourself do.

                Paul Leonard writes that I am "just trying to convince myself." But the more I think this, the more I sense that this is what Christians do. As a believer I was taught that neglecting association with other believers was a dangerous evil. The Bible implores us never to "forsake the gathering of ourselves together" and Christians know that lack of fellowship leads to your faith ebbing away. Hence, the main purpose of fellowship is to CONVINCE EACH OTHER that you are right.

                How is that Christians seem to deplore in others the actions and feelings they engage in themselves? When they see their own actions and thinking mirrored in others it repulses them, they react in disgust at their own methods.

                How is anyone to take you seriously?

                Heinz