Any input regarding a question from a skeptic about Pilate and the crucifiction?

  • Todd E. Tornow
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 24, 2009
      By the same token: (as I was just reading about this) if Pilate was concerned that there was to be trouble with the burial of the body-he would not have released it in the first place-since for crucifixions this was definately going beyond the norm-nor would he have allowed to have it placed it in a tomb with funery rights and known to anybody but the soldiers.
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
        Todd,

        You wrote:

        << By the same token: (as I was just reading about this) if Pilate was concerned that there was to be trouble with the burial of the body-he would not have released it in the first place-since for crucifixions this was definately going beyond the norm-nor would he have allowed to have it placed it in a tomb with funery rights and known to anybody but the soldiers. >>

        I've heard these sorts of statements before, and there's no good evidence to support them. The order of events appears to be the following: (1) Joseph of Arimathea requested permission to bury the body of Jesus, which Pilate granted; (2) some Jewish leaders told Pilate that Jesus had claimed he would rise from the dead and asked him to have the tomb guarded, to which Pilate agreed. Your criticism might have some plausibility only if the order of these two events were reversed.

        While most crucifixion victims were not given honorable burials, Jesus was no common crucifixion victim (by anyone's reckoning). A member of the Sanhedrin had personally requested permission to bury the body. It would be implausible for Pilate to have refused such a request. Some skeptics dispute the likelihood that a member of the Sanhedrin would do this, but really--out of some seventy men, the odds that at least one or two would be sympathetic to Jesus were really pretty high.

      • Heinz Schmitz
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
          --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Robert M. Bowman, Jr." <faithhasitsreasons@...> wrote:

          > While most crucifixion victims were not given honorable burials, Jesus was no common crucifixion victim (by anyone's reckoning). A member of the Sanhedrin had personally requested permission to bury the body. It would be implausible for Pilate to have refused such a request. Some skeptics dispute the likelihood that a member of the Sanhedrin would do this, but really--out of some seventy men, the odds that at least one or two would be sympathetic to Jesus were really pretty high.

          Reply: Or maybe it is JUST a story. Christians go thru great pains to come up with creative answers to the myriads of problematic Scriptures in the Bible when ultimately the Bible should be taken for what it is: Propaganda. Even the Bible admits this when it says "these things were written so that you may believe."
          Heinz
        • harrymc@att.blackberry.net
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
            Heinz

            That last reasoning was a good Scripture twister. However, it was bad reasoning. The difference between your reasoning and a pretzel is that the pretzel had no choice, while you bend not to believe. Your arguments have the sound of one hand clapping, and briefly displacing air but moving nothing.

            Harry

            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            From: "Heinz Schmitz"
            Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:03:48 -0000
            To: <biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: [biblicalapologetics] Re: Any input regarding a question from a skeptic about Pilate and the crucifiction?

            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
              Hi Harry

              This is simply a derisive and reactionary statement on your part, one that is mean-spirited as well. I don't bend NOT to believe that the Bhudda was born laughing...I don't bend NOT to believe that Mohammed flew to heaven on a winged horse...I don't bend NOT to believe that the angel Moroni gave Joe Smith the Book of Mormon, and I don't bend NOT to believe in tales of savior gods and walking on water. I think it was Thomas Paine that said (if I may paraphrase) "Which is more likely, that the laws of nature be overturned...or that someone was lying." I don't bend NOT to believe that extraordinary, my rational self understands the lie that it most likely is.

              Heinz

            • harrymc@att.blackberry.net
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
                You justify anything to fit your template. Mean spirited? Grow up.

                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                From: "Heinz Schmitz"
                Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:33:45 -0000
                To: <biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com>

                Hi Harry

                This is simply a derisive and reactionary statement on your part, one that is mean-spirited as well. I don't bend NOT to believe that the Bhudda was born laughing...I don't bend NOT to believe that Mohammed flew to heaven on a winged horse...I don't bend NOT to believe that the angel Moroni gave Joe Smith the Book of Mormon, and I don't bend NOT to believe in tales of savior gods and walking on water. I think it was Thomas Paine that said (if I may paraphrase) "Which is more likely, that the laws of nature be overturned.. .or that someone was lying." I don't bend NOT to believe that extraordinary, my rational self understands the lie that it most likely is.

                Heinz

                --- In biblicalapologetics @yahoogroups. com, harrymc@... wrote:

                > Heinz
                >
                > That last reasoning was a good Scripture twister. However, it was bad reasoning. The difference between your reasoning and a pretzel is that the pretzel had no choice, while you bend not to believe. Your arguments have the sound of one hand clapping, and briefly displacing air but moving nothing.
                >
                > Harry
                > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              • Patrick Navas
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
                  Hello Everyone,

                  Recently I participated in an informal debate/dialogue on the Trinity. I debated with an XJW turned Trinitarian apologists. Click on the link below if you're interested.

                  Patrick Navas
                • Heinz Schmitz
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
                    Patrick - you have a book out? That is so cool...I am proud of you.
                    Heinz

                  • tcmadd2@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
                      Heinz,

                      Actually, your entire argument is based on your speculation about what Pontius Pilate would have done. Pilate had a very good reason to do things like this.  The request came from a politically influential member of the Sanhedren. Keeping the peace in Jerusalem and Judea was very much in his interest as procurator. The "buck" ended with him regarding local matters.  The Romans were interested in order and taxes. A concession to a local dignitary that cost him nothing would be entirely reasonable.

                      Tom Maddux

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
                        These are silly responses from you. I can actually pinpoint when my belief in Christianity started ebbing away. I was sitting in my vehicle in the summer of 2004 reading a book defending the Bible by Norman Geisler, and it was his JUSTIFICATIONS and his answers to these problems that made me realize how poor and bad our (and his) answers were. I realized then that we apologists are not defending truth - we are in fact doing the work of lawyers, defending our client, our religion, to the best of our ability - and we simply labeled it TRUTH.

                      • harrymc@att.blackberry.net
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
                          And I can tell you the moment I truly believed: His Holy Spirit literally knocked me to the floor while in an empty room. Yours was an intellectual decision. My knowledge and belief of Jesus connects the mind and the heart. Have a good day. We're not to accomplish anything.

                          Harry

                          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                          From: "Heinz Schmitz"
                          Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 19:14:39 -0000
                          To: <biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com>
                          Subject: [biblicalapologetics] Re: Any input regarding/Harry & Justifications

                          These are silly responses from you. I can actually pinpoint when my belief in Christianity started ebbing away. I was sitting in my vehicle in the summer of 2004 reading a book defending the Bible by Norman Geisler, and it was his JUSTIFICATIONS and his answers to these problems that made me realize how poor and bad our (and his) answers were. I realized then that we apologists are not defending truth - we are in fact doing the work of lawyers, defending our client, our religion, to the best of our ability - and we simply labeled it TRUTH.
                          Heinz

                          --- In biblicalapologetics @yahoogroups. com, harrymc@... wrote:

                          > You justify anything to fit your template. Mean spirited? Grow up.
                          >

                          > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                        • Heinz Schmitz
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
                            --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, harrymc@... wrote:

                            > And I can tell you the moment I truly believed: His Holy Spirit literally knocked me to the floor while in an empty room. Yours was an intellectual decision. My knowledge and belief of Jesus connects the mind and the heart. Have a good day. We're not to accomplish anything.
                            >
                            > Harry

                            "Were not to accomplish anything" and yet you persist in responding to me. The holy spirit did not knock you to the floor, you needed medical or psychiatric attention and you sought neither. You will not progress until you address your debility.
                            Heinz
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
                              Heinz,

                              You wrote:

                              << Reply: Or maybe it is JUST a story. Christians go thru great pains to come up with creative answers to the myriads of problematic Scriptures in the Bible when ultimately the Bible should be taken for what it is: Propaganda. Even the Bible admits this when it says "these things were written so that you may believe." >>

                              It is propaganda when someone takes "great pains" to make up pseudo-problems that aren't really "problematic" in the first place (e.g., Jesus must not have been buried because most crucifixion victims weren't).

                              It is propaganda to take statements out of context in order to make your point seem plausible (e.g., quoting only part of John 20:30-31 and leaving out the part that contradicts your claim).

                              It is not propaganda to point these things out--and no "great pains" are required.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
                                Heinz,

                                You wrote:

                                << I don't bend NOT to believe that the Bhudda was born laughing...I don't bend NOT to believe that Mohammed flew to heaven on a winged horse...I don't bend NOT to believe that the angel Moroni gave Joe Smith the Book of Mormon, and I don't bend NOT to believe in tales of savior gods and walking on water. >>

                                If you simply ignored the Buddha, or Muhammad, or Joseph Smith, that would be one thing. If you expressed disbelief in them, that would not necessarily mean you were "bending" in order not to believe. But if you tried to argue that Gautama never existed, for example, that *would* be bending not to believe. It is that sort of absurd or far-fetched or superficial objection to Christianity that is attracting the sort of criticism you're getting.

                                You wrote:

                                << I think it was Thomas Paine that said (if I may paraphrase) "Which is more likely, that the laws of nature be overturned...or that someone was lying." >>

                                Actually, that was David Hume (though Paine may have echoed the argument). Philosophers are still debating the merits of Hume's arguments against belief in miracles. I can direct you to some good discussions of the issue if you're interested.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
                                  In fact a crucifixion victim in Palestine from about the same time period was discovered a few years ago IN a burial chamber. Can't remember the details, but a little effort should track the story down.

                                  --- On Sat, 6/27/09, Robert M. Bowman, Jr. <faithhasitsreasons@...> wrote:

                                  Todd,

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
                                    Hi Rob,

                                    If you really consider his arguments, he is really trying to argue that he is right, more than that we are wrong. In effect trying to convince himself he made a good decision in abandoning any faith.

                                    Except faith in other .................................. fallible men.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
                                      It is apparent that you know neither the meaning of the word "propaganda" nor are you aware of the immense problems inside the bible...hence the need to mountains of work on apologetics.
                                      Heinz

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
                                        --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Robert M. Bowman, Jr." <faithhasitsreasons@...> wrote:

                                        > Heinz,
                                        >
                                        > You wrote:
                                        >
                                        > << I don't bend NOT to believe that the Bhudda was born laughing...I don't bend NOT to believe that Mohammed flew to heaven on a winged horse...I don't bend NOT to believe that the angel Moroni gave Joe Smith the Book of Mormon, and I don't bend NOT to believe in tales of savior gods and walking on water. >>
                                        >
                                        > If you simply ignored the Buddha, or Muhammad, or Joseph Smith, that would be one thing. If you expressed disbelief in them, that would not necessarily mean you were "bending" in order not to believe. But if you tried to argue that Gautama never existed, for example, that *would* be bending not to believe. It is that sort of absurd or far-fetched or superficial objection to Christianity that is attracting the sort of criticism you're getting.

                                        I contend that a Jesus (or many Christs) existed, much the same as Mohammed, Smith and Santa Claus existed. But I draw the line at the fanciful stories surrounding them, and so should everyone else. You dismiss the fables around Smith, Santa etc, I am just going one step further and dismissing the stories around your myth as well.
                                      • Heinz Schmitz
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
                                          --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, Paul Leonard <anotherpaul2001@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi Rob,
                                          >
                                          > If you really consider his arguments, he is really trying to argue that he is right, more than that we are wrong. In effect trying to convince himself he made a good decision in abandoning any faith.
                                          >
                                          > Except faith in other .................................. fallible men.

                                          Reply: If you are so weak and timid that you must have some sort of belief system, then please, believe in men...they will do much more for you than any imaginary friends that religions can invent. When you have a family member or friend involved in a fatal motor accident, it was your god that watched them die, it was man who tried to save them.
                                          Heinz
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 27, 2009
                                            Heinz,

                                            Your many responses on this thread have not even tried to address the historical issues concerning the original question about Pilate and Jesus' burial. That's all anyone needs to know to see why your responses are getting no respect.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 28, 2009
                                              --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Robert M. Bowman, Jr." <faithhasitsreasons@...> wrote:

                                              > Heinz,
                                              >
                                              > Your many responses on this thread have not even tried to address the historical issues concerning the original question about Pilate and Jesus' burial. That's all anyone needs to know to see why your responses are getting no respect.

                                              Reply: I have not "tried to address the historical issues concerning the original question about Pilate and Jesus' burial" because I do not feel it is historical to begin with. We are talking about one the most important and magical figures ever, yet the historians of his time seem almost completely unaware of him.
                                              Heinz
                                            • Heinz Schmitz
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 28, 2009
                                                --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, tcmadd2@... wrote:

                                                > Heinz,
                                                >
                                                > Actually, your entire argument is based on your speculation about what Pontius Pilate would have done. Pilate had a very good reason to do things like this.? The request came from a politically influential member of the Sanhedren. Keeping the peace in Jerusalem and Judea was very much in his interest as procurator. The "buck" ended with him regarding local matters.? The Romans were interested in order and taxes. A concession to a local dignitary that cost him nothing would be entirely reasonable.
                                                >
                                                > Tom Maddux

                                                Reply: I have no argument - to me it likely never happened and to keep these unlikely stories alive is a disservice to many who need to have their minds emancipated from thoughts of devils and spirits knocking them to the ground. Harry's message yesterday about this should send chills down the spines of everyone here, and you are all complicit in the damage done to this man.
                                                Heinz
                                              • madmc492002
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 28, 2009
                                                  Heinz:

                                                  I am not a public figure, therefore your disparaging comments about me could be fodder for my legal counsel, if I were so inclined. Your judgment of me has been made on a few comments in cyberspace, but you seem to think you know everything. You don't: I have a BA in Journalism with a minor in Anthopology. I spent 20 years in the newsgathering business. My wife and I have raised two sons, and we are considered stable pillars in our community. I earn a substantial salary (six figures the last several years), and regularly negotiate contracts with executives and business owners.

                                                  Because I believe in the power of the Holy Spirit, the love of the Father, and the death and resurrection of His Son Jesus Christ does not make me damaged goods. It simply makes me a Christian.

                                                  You choose to debate Pilate. Actually, you would be surprised to know I think he's a tragic figure, seed for a Shakespearean tragedy. I agree with Tom: His choices were political. But even he acknowledged, according to Scripture, there was something wrong in what was being done to Jesus. Why else would he offer the choice of two men? Why else would he want to wash his hands of the whole affair? If you don't think it happened, then why debate it?

                                                  I choose not to engage further with you because you relish ad hominen attacks on the characters of those who challenge you. If that's the only way you can debate, then you've shown who you are. You must be losing the argument again today, because I who sat silent for 24 hours am now the latest in your character assassination.

                                                  Have a good day.

                                                  Harry

                                                  --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Heinz Schmitz" <christian_skeptic@...> wrote:

                                                  > --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, tcmadd2@ wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Heinz,
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Actually, your entire argument is based on your speculation about what Pontius Pilate would have done. Pilate had a very good reason to do things like this.? The request came from a politically influential member of the Sanhedren. Keeping the peace in Jerusalem and Judea was very much in his interest as procurator. The "buck" ended with him regarding local matters.? The Romans were interested in order and taxes. A concession to a local dignitary that cost him nothing would be entirely reasonable.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Tom Maddux
                                                  >
                                                  > Reply: I have no argument - to me it likely never happened and to keep these unlikely stories alive is a disservice to many who need to have their minds emancipated from thoughts of devils and spirits knocking them to the ground. Harry's message yesterday about this should send chills down the spines of everyone here, and you are all complicit in the damage done to this man.
                                                  > Heinz

                                                • Heinz Schmitz
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jun 28, 2009
                                                    --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "madmc492002" <harrymc@...> wrote:

                                                    > Heinz:
                                                    >
                                                    > I am not a public figure, therefore your disparaging comments about me could be fodder for my legal counsel, if I were so inclined. Your judgment of me has been made on a few comments in cyberspace, but you seem to think you know everything. You don't: I have a BA in Journalism with a minor in Anthopology. I spent 20 years in the newsgathering business. My wife and I have raised two sons, and we are considered stable pillars in our community. I earn a substantial salary (six figures the last several years), and regularly negotiate contracts with executives and business owners.

                                                    Reply: It's interesting that you start off with a threat, and none of the rest makes you immune to psychological damage or delusions. If anyone, ANYONE, I don't care about their social status, told they were knocked down by the holy spirit, I would tell them the same thing: Please, seek professional help!
                                                    I once knew a lady who was raped but insisted this was done by a spirit. This idiocy made it possible for a rapist to go free. This is the danger of sanctioning and glorifying superstitious beliefs.
                                                  • harrymc@att.blackberry.net
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jun 28, 2009
                                                      I'm not threatening. Read the sentence again.

                                                      As for the rest of your comments why bother responding? You're convinced you're saner and smarter. I'll leave you with your opinion.

                                                      Harry

                                                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                                      From: "Heinz Schmitz"
                                                      Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:51:23 -0000
                                                      To: <biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com>

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jun 29, 2009
                                                        --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, harrymc@... wrote:

                                                        > I'm not threatening. Read the sentence again.
                                                        >
                                                        > As for the rest of your comments why bother responding? You're convinced you're saner and smarter. I'll leave you with your opinion.
                                                        >
                                                        > Harry
                                                        > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                                        Some of the responses here are very interesting, and I have to wonder how much thought goes into them. For instance: "You're convinced you're saner and smarter." This is true, I suspect I do feel this way, but how does this make me different than anyone else here? No one here is arguing a position that they feel is insane or dumb. Christians as a rule feel they are smarter and saner than everyone else. Why am I being condemned for thinking as you do? Why am I not allowed the same standard?
                                                        If you think this an arrogant stance for me to take, then you must concede your own arrogance for feeling as you yourself do.

                                                        Paul Leonard writes that I am "just trying to convince myself." But the more I think this, the more I sense that this is what Christians do. As a believer I was taught that neglecting association with other believers was a dangerous evil. The Bible implores us never to "forsake the gathering of ourselves together" and Christians know that lack of fellowship leads to your faith ebbing away. Hence, the main purpose of fellowship is to CONVINCE EACH OTHER that you are right.

                                                        How is that Christians seem to deplore in others the actions and feelings they engage in themselves? When they see their own actions and thinking mirrored in others it repulses them, they react in disgust at their own methods.

                                                        How is anyone to take you seriously?

                                                        Heinz