Online course on Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses starts tonight

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 16, 2009
      Dear friend,

      Some of you may be interested in knowing about a course I will be
      teaching for the next eight Monday nights at 10 pm Eastern time. It's
      called "Understanding Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses," and it's an
      elective course for The Theology Program:

      http://tinyurl.com/d8t2ox

      You can enroll in the course for $100 or just show up to the
      online "room" and join in the discussion for free (there will be a
      generous Q&A time at the end of each session). The classes will be
      held on PalTalk, which you can find here:

      http://www.paltalk.com/

      PalTalk's basic service is free (there is an upgraded version that
      costs money). It allows you to participate in a discussion by typing
      your comments or by speaking audibly over a microphone so others can
      hear you.

      One feature of this course that may be unusual for some is that I am
      actually assigning readings from LDS and JW primary sources, and list
      pro- sources on the syllabus for students to consider reading for
      themselves. If anyone here is interested, I will be happy to send you
      a copy of the syllabus.

      Executive Director
      Institute for Religious Research
      Online: http://www.irr/org
      Blog: http://www.religiousresearcher.org/blog
    • Tesfaye Robele
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 16, 2009

        Rob,

        Please send me a copy of the syllabus and your material.

        In His Grip,

        Tesfaye Robele

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 23, 2009
          Dear friends,

          The Theology Program course on Understanding Mormons and Jehovah's
          Witnesses, which I will be teaching, begins in less than an hour at
          10 pm Eastern time. Each class session will last about 90 minutes,
          including generous time for Q&A. Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are
          welcome to participate. We will spend four weeks on Mormons and then
          four weeks on Jehovah's Witnesses.

          If you have not already downloaded Paltalk you will need to do that.
          You can download the application (free) by going to
          http://www.paltalk.com/. Once you have downloaded and installed the
          program you will need to create a username with an _TTP at the end.

          When you sign in on Monday evenings in order to find the classroom
          you will need to do the following.

          Click the Actions tab at the top. Click Join Room. A window will
          appear with a list of room categories. In the top left of this window
          there is an area where you can search for rooms. Key in Mormons. The
          room you will be looking for is TTP Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses
          with Rob Bowman. The room will only be open around the time of the
          class.

          Carrie Hunter, the director of online ministries for Reclaiming the
          Mind, has created a classroom page,
          http://understandingmormonsandjws.reclaimingthemind.org/blogs/3, for
          those taking the course for a grade. Here you will find quiz
          downloads, and (later this evening) the syllabus. Carrie will load
          each session's audio to this page the Tuesday following the Monday
          night session. You will also be able to access the class audio on
          iTunes. You can request a copy of the syllabus directly from me at
          any time.

          If you have any questions at all, feel free to email me or Carrie
          (carrie@...), or you can call Reclaiming the Mind
          Ministries at 1-877-362-3520.

          I hope to see you there!

          Executive Director
          Institute for Religious Research
          Online: http://www.irr.org/
          Blog: http://www.religiousresearcher.org/blog
        • Heinz Schmitz
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3 2:04 PM
            --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Robert M. Bowman, Jr."
            <faithhasitsreasons@...> wrote:

            You mentioned in the course that the "this generation" prophecy of
            Joseph Smith (in the D&C) was an example of a false prophecy, however
            whenever I bring up the "this generation" prophecy of Jesus Christ,
            Christians will not accept this as a false prophecy, while to me they
            are the exact same thing. I feel you are accusing Mormons of something
            you mainstream Christians are guilty of as well.
            Heinz
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3 8:22 PM
              Heinz,

              I am working on finishing up a paper that will address the very issue you raise.