Happy Darwin Day

  • Heinz Schmitz
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 12, 2009
      "Hundreds of groups across the United States and the globe will
      celebrate the date as "Darwin Day" in honor of the discoveries and
      life of the man who famously described biological evolution via
      natural selection.

      Darwin Day is an international celebration of science and humanity
      held on or around February 12, the day that Charles Darwin was born
      on in 1809. Specifically, it celebrates the discoveries and life of
      Charles Darwin – the man who first described biological evolution
      via natural selection with scientific rigor. More generally, Darwin
      Day expresses gratitude for the enormous benefits that scientific
      knowledge, acquired through human curiosity and ingenuity, has
      contributed to the advancement of humanity.

      "Darwin Day promotes understanding of evolution and the scientific
      method," said Matt Cherry, executive director of the Institute for
      Humanist Studies. "This celebration expresses gratitude for the
      enormous benefit that scientific knowledge has contributed to the
      advancement of humanity.""

      "Evolution is 'true' not because the experts say it is, nor because
      some world view demands it, but because the evidence overwhelmingly
      supports it." Steve Pinker, Harvard University

      "Evolution is the foundation of modern biology," Carl Zimmer.

      -Heinz
    • Stan Slonkosky
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 12, 2009

        This is from the blog of a friend of mine (Pr.  Bill Cwirla) who doesn't mind having his material quoted as long as he is given credit and nothing is altered (if you do alter something, he'd rather not have his name attached to it).

        http://blog.higherthings.org/wcwirla/article/4019.html

        A little story in honor of St. Darwin from a few years ago:

        Once upon a time, a man took a long trip on a boat to a faraway island to look at birds and bugs and think about the origin of life.  He came up with a Theory that nothing became everything all by itself, and he wrote a book about it.

        His friends liked the book very much and began to look for all sorts of evidence to support the Theory.  They searched up and down, high and low to find all sorts of things that proved how nothing became everything all by itself.

        Soon they all got together and formed a little club called "Friends of the Theory."  They began to insist that the Theory was the only possible explanation for all the evidence they had gathered to support the Theory.  They refused to play with anyone who questioned the Theory or even to talk with them.

        "How can nothing do something?" a wise old man once asked, scratching his head in confusion.  "It just doesn't make sense."  The Friends the Theory laughed at the old man and threw stones at him and called him names. "Religious stupid head," they yelled, which made the old man very sad.

        Then the Friends of the Theory went to a judge so that no one could say anything bad about the Theory ever again.  The judge ruled the Theory that nothing became everything all by itself was "science" and not religious stupid head stuff.

        The Friends of the Theory were very happy with the judge.  "See, all the smart people agree with us," they said.  "And anyone who doesn't agree with us is a religious stupid head."

        And that, my children, is how everyone came to believe that nothing became everything all by itself.

        The moral of the story is:  When people believe nothing, they will believe anything.

        _______________

        For what can be  known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.  (Romans 1:19-20)

        --
        Stan Slonkosky

      • Heinz Schmitz
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 12, 2009
          --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, Stan Slonkosky
          <Stan.KE6ZC@...> wrote:

          He came up with
          > a Theory that nothing became everything all by itself, and he
          wrote a book
          > about it.

          Reply: A Theory in science is not the same as a theory in everything
          else. We have the theory of gravity, germ theory, even the fact that
          the earth goes around the sun is a scientific theory. A scientific
          theory is built upon one or more hypotheses, and upon evidence, and
          we have more evidence for evolution than almost any other theory.

          > His friends liked the book very much and began to look for all
          sorts of
          > evidence to support the Theory. They searched up and down, high
          and low to
          > find all sorts of things that proved how nothing became everything
          all by
          > itself.

          Reply: Evolution does not explain how nothing became everything all
          by itself, and this shows how ignorant your friend is. You see,
          Christians don't attack evolution, they attack a caricature of that
          theory...and this is why they cannot and should not be taken
          seriously.
          Heinz
        • sopater_berean
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2009
            --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Heinz Schmitz"
            <christian_skeptic@...> wrote:

            > Reply: A Theory in science is not the same as a theory in everything
            > else. We have the theory of gravity, germ theory, even the fact that
            > the earth goes around the sun is a scientific theory. A scientific
            > theory is built upon one or more hypotheses, and upon evidence, and
            > we have more evidence for evolution than almost any other theory.

            Thank you for putting that so clearly. When you describe exactly what
            constitutes a scientific theory, it becomes abundantly clear that
            evolution should not be considered a scientific theory.

            It is the interpretation of the evidence that supports evolution, not
            the evidence itself. The same evidence interpreted biblically fully
            supports divine creation.

            God bless.
          • Heinz Schmitz
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 13, 2009
              --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "sopater_berean"
              <Todd.Koeppel@...> wrote:

              > Thank you for putting that so clearly. When you describe exactly
              what
              > constitutes a scientific theory, it becomes abundantly clear that
              > evolution should not be considered a scientific theory.

              Again, the evidence for evolution is overwhelming.

              > It is the interpretation of the evidence that supports evolution,
              not
              > the evidence itself. The same evidence interpreted biblically
              fully
              > supports divine creation.
              >
              > God bless.

              Then it points to a creator that is either inept, cruel, or both. As
              Dawkins clearly put it:

              The total amount of suffering per year in the natural world is
              beyond all decent contemplation. During the minute that it takes me
              to compose this sentence, thousands of animals are being eaten
              alive, many others are running for their lives, whimpering with
              fear, others are slowly being devoured from within by rasping
              parasites, thousands of all kinds are dying of starvation, thirst,
              and disease. It must be so. If there ever is a time of plenty, this
              very fact will automatically lead to an increase in the population
              until the natural state of starvation and misery is restored. In a
              universe of electrons and selfish genes, blind physical forces and
              genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people
              are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in
              it, nor any justice. The universe that we observe has precisely the
              properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no
              purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pitiless indifference.