Gay marriage benefits society

  • Heinz Schmitz
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 26, 2008
      Gay marriage benefits society
      By: Mario Hernandez
      by Mario Hernandez

      Daily Lobo columnist

      Society has always told us that love is all you need. It seems,
      however, that love isn't all you need. To be legally wed in the U.S.,
      you need more than love - you need a man and a woman.

      While still a minority, gays are more apparent and more abundant these
      days. Our society is becoming more understanding as time goes on, but
      understanding isn't the same as equality.

      No one will resolve the moral debate surrounding homosexuality, but
      one thing is certain: People are people regardless of their sexual
      orientation, and to treat them as less than human beings is
      preposterous and outrageous. Also, gay marriage would benefit society
      by curbing the spread of disease and opening more loving homes to
      children in need.

      The First Amendment guarantees the freedom of worship. This means the
      government has no right to tell people what is right and wrong in
      terms of religion, and therefore, it cannot and should not pass a law
      declaring marriage as being between only a man and a woman. Wouldn't
      that violate the First Amendment? Marriage is a religious institution
      and should remain in the hands of the churches. If a church is willing
      to marry gays, which some churches are, then the government should be
      willing to legally recognize it.

      Gay marriage would make many positive contributions to society, like
      the decline of AIDS on a large scale. As Andrew Sullivan

      wrote in The New Republic, "(Gay marriage) would also, in the wake of
      AIDS, qualify as a genuine public health measure. Those conservatives
      who deplore promiscuity among some homosexuals should be among the
      first to support it." Logic would follow that if gay men are less
      promiscuous, then the spread of AIDS would naturally go down. This
      would benefit everyone, not just gays.

      There are other benefits to society, as well. Gay marriage will lead
      to better households for children. Granted, gays cannot have children,
      but they can adopt. As a society, we would be heartless to say we want
      a child in an orphanage rather than in a home with loving parents.
      Studies also show that there is no conclusive evidence linking the
      sexual orientation of a child to the sexual orientation of his or her
      parents. That is a fallacy based on ignorance.

      Detractors of gay marriage would have you believe that allowing gays
      to marry would undermine the value, tradition and sanctity of
      marriage. Nothing could be further from the truth. When we have
      celebrities like Britney Spears marrying at whim and divorcing 24
      hours later, it's easy to see that marriage isn't all that sacred to
      this country in the first place. How can gays undermine the value of
      marriage when heterosexuals have already accomplished that?

      Same-sex marriage is recognized by six countries. The Netherlands was
      the first country to do so, but that is no surprise, as it is one of
      the most liberal countries on the planet. Other countries

      include Belgium, Canada and Spain. More recently, South Africa has
      joined the group, and the state of Massachusetts threw its hat into
      the ring, as long as same-sex marriage is performed in that state and
      under its laws.

      Many other countries have opted to go the civil union route. This
      means that it is not technically a marriage, but it is a legally
      recognized union in which the partners can receive benefits from the
      state. Denmark, Finland and the United Kingdom have done this. Many
      states in the U.S. - including California, Connecticut, Hawaii and New
      Jersey - have taken similar steps.

      While things are slowly getting better, there are those who would love
      to see it get worse. Just as interracial couples attracted the scorn
      of those who thought people of different colors should not marry, so
      too does the love of two people of the same gender. But just as
      interracial marriages are now commonplace, hopefully gay marriage will
      be exactly the same in the future. Hopefully, we'll all look back on
      this and wonder what we were thinking being so prejudiced.

      Mario Hernandez is a UNM political science major.
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 27, 2008
        Heinz--and everyone else,

        Please do not post entire articles or essays from other web sites.
        If the piece is relevant to our group, simply post a short message
        with a link to the appropriate URL.

        --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Heinz Schmitz"

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 27, 2008
          Heinz,

          Hernandez's article commits the same fallacies noted in an earlier
          blog entry I did on the subject:

          http://www.religiousresearcher.org/blog/?p=249

        • Heinz Schmitz
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 28, 2008
            Jeez Rob, how many articles do you have attacking these people
            anyways? Why don't you just leave these poor people alone?

            --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Robert M. Bowman, Jr."

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 29, 2008
              Heinz,

              You wrote:

              << Jeez Rob, how many articles do you have attacking these people
              anyways? Why don't you just leave these poor people alone? >>

              Another logical fallacy--this one's the appeal to pity. And the
              article does not "attack" homosexuals ("these people").

              > --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Robert M. Bowman, Jr."
              > <faithhasitsreasons@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Heinz,
              > >
              > > Hernandez's article commits the same fallacies noted in an earlier
              > > blog entry I did on the subject:
              > >
              > > http://www.religiousresearcher.org/blog/?p=249
              > >
              > > In Christ's service,
              > > Rob Bowman

            • Heinz Schmitz
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 29, 2008
                <faithhasitsreasons@...> wrote:

                > Heinz,
                >
                > You wrote:
                >
                > << Jeez Rob, how many articles do you have attacking these people
                > anyways? Why don't you just leave these poor people alone? >>
                >
                > Another logical fallacy--this one's the appeal to pity. And the
                > article does not "attack" homosexuals ("these people").

                I am sure you wouldn't feel that way if I started a blog with the
                underlying theme that we deny rights to Christians.