Re: Critique of Newsweek's biblical arguments on ga...

  • Heinz Schmitz
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 19, 2008
      It is a system based on minimizing harm to others, that's all.
      Heinz

    • tcmadd2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 19, 2008
        Heinz,

        History shows us that there have been lots of folks who felt that allowing others to be free and to pursue their enlightened self interest was harmful.  According to your system, do they get to limit other folk's freedom based on their ideas of harm, or is there some overriding authority who decides what is harmful and what is benificial?

        Tom

        In a message dated 12/19/2008 8:32:36 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, christian_skeptic@... writes:

        It is a system based on minimizing harm to others, that's all.
        Heinz

        --- In biblicalapologetics @yahoogroups. com, tcmadd2@... wrote:

        > Heinz,
        >
        > You seem to have a system of morality by which you make judgements
        about
        > what is moral behavior and what is not. What is this system based
        on? How did
        > you discover it? Is it personal, or universal?
        >
        > Tom M.

      • Heinz Schmitz
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 20, 2008
          If you want to engage in activities that may be harmful to yourself
          then you should be allowed to do that. You shouldn't want to live in a
          society that prohibits sky-diving or over-eating. You may not however
          engage in activities that harm others.
          Heinz

          --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, tcmadd2@... wrote:

          > Heinz,
          >
          > History shows us that there have been lots of folks who felt that
          allowing
          > others to be free and to pursue their enlightened self interest was
          harmful.
          > According to your system, do they get to limit other folk's freedom
          based on
          > their ideas of harm, or is there some overriding authority who
          decides what
          > is harmful and what is benificial?
          >
          > Tom
          >

          > In a message dated 12/19/2008 8:32:36 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          > christian_skeptic@... writes:
          >

          > It is a system based on minimizing harm to others, that's all.
          > Heinz
          >
          > --- In _biblicalapologeticsbiblicalapolobib_
          > (mailto:biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com) , tcmadd2@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Heinz,
          > >
          > > You seem to have a system of morality by which you make judgements
          > about
          > > what is moral behavior and what is not. What is this system based
          > on? How did
          > > you discover it? Is it personal, or universal?
          > >
          > > Tom M.
          > >

          > Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

        • wglmp
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 21, 2008
            --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, tcmadd2@... wrote:

            > Heinz,
            >
            > History shows us that there have been lots of folks who felt that
            allowing
            > others to be free and to pursue their enlightened self interest
            was harmful. <

            Examples?

            > According to your system, do they get to limit other folk's
            freedom based on
            > their ideas of harm, or is there some overriding authority who
            decides what
            > is harmful and what is benificial? <

            I can't speak for him, but I am a libertarian, and I would say, 'yes,
            the criteria would be harm, as perceived by the supposed victim. If
            there is no victim, there is no crime. If someone comes foreword with
            a claim of being victimized, then there should be an investigation of
            the facts and circumstances, and a determination and judgment of an
            authority. Who that authority is to be is problematic, but not
            impossible to solve.
            Heinlein's "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress" makes some suggestion in
            this area. I highly recommend it.

            Matt