"The Narrow and Wide Paths" by Joseph Y. Lee

  • josephylee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
      The Narrow and Wide Paths
      Matthew 7:13-14

      Hello, I am Joseph Yosuk Lee. In 1994, I graduated
      from the University of California at Berkeley as a
      physics and applied math major. In 1997, I also
      graduated from UCI in the materials science and
      engineering department with a Master's degree while
      I got another Master's degree in the electrical
      engineering department at the University of
      Southern California. Now, I work at Samsung in
      South Korea as a PCB engineer, and I play the piano
      and violin.

      I was very devastated when I was an undergraduate at
      Berkeley. I realized that I was not as intelligent
      as I thought, and I had a lot of pride. I was one
      of the top students at high school. At college, I
      was average. While I was struggling with a B average,
      my electrical engineer friend Tony made a 97% on the
      midterm. I, myself, received a 70% average on that
      same exam, and even my professor made a mistake in
      his own midterm. My professor is an intelligent man
      when he is a physics professor at Cal-Berkeley.
      Despite this, I felt that Tony could easily surpass
      him, although Tony was an electrical engineer and
      computer science major. While I did not have the
      faintest clue how to solve any of my 7 physics
      problems, he could easily solve all of the problems
      in the textbook spending only three hours per chapter.

      I was very hurt, as well as humbled. I thought that
      my greatest friends were my GPA, test scores, and
      professors' recommendations until I met Jesus Christ.
      Jesus Christ became my best friend and He loved me
      so much that He gave His life for me.

      You are My friends if you do what I [Jesus] command.
      I no longer call you servants, because a servant does
      not know his master's business.  Instead, I have
      called you friends, for everything that I have
      learned from My Father I have made known to you.
      John 15:14-15

      There are many stories of mothers dying while giving
      birth to their children. There are also many stories
      of men dying for their comrades in a war by throwing
      their bodies on top of a grenade. However, Jesus died
      for sinners like myself, for strangers like myself,
      and for the rest of us, who are chosen. He did it
      because He loves all of us as His friends. Grades
      and academics cannot love you nor I. Only the Lord
      can do that. I depended so much on my happiness on
      school that I became miserable when I was not doing
      well. At Berkeley, I was alone and did not have many
      friends. I used to believe that school was far more
      important than family, friends, people, and my own
      life. I almost wanted to use some illegal drugs so
      that I could enhance my school performance. When I
      was at the bottom of my life, I finally accepted
      Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior during a church
      retreat at the mountains of Santa Cruz. I gave my
      testimony about my bitter life telling every brother
      in a circle that I study a lot and that my parents
      were disappointed in me when I did not make it to
      MIT or Harvard. After we left the circle, I talked
      to my pastor outside in the dark and cried on his
      shoulders during one Saturday night on October 20,
      1990, and he comforted me.

      After I accepted Jesus Christ, I finally gave up my
      pride. I really wanted to share my faith with Tony
      and I realized that it was too late. Tony killed
      himself by jumping off the Holiday Inn Hotel at
      Emeryville, California. To this day, I do not know
      why he did it. All I know is that if I had not
      accepted Christ, I would have taken my own life.
      Tony and I took two different paths in our lives.
      God helped me choose the narrow path while Tony
      chose the wide and easy path.

      "Enter the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and
      broad is the way that leads to destruction, and
      there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is
      the gate and difficult is the way which leads to
      life, and there are few who find it." Matthew
      7:13-14 (NKJV)

      So I hated life, because the work that is done under
      the sun was grievous to me.  All of it is meaningless,
      a chasing after the wind.  Ecclesiastes 2:17

      Copyright - CHEMISTRY (CHristian E-mail MIniSTRY)
      E-mail: JosephYLee@...
      Website - http://www.josephylee.org

    • Tom A.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2008
        Thank you for your testimony Joseph. I am so glad you have found
        Jesus and that He now reigns in your heart and your mind. Jesus is
        the reason why we live and the reason why we do things.

        redir=http://searchblog.aol.com/2008/11/04/happy-holidays-from
        > -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

      • Harry McFarland

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 2008
            Harry:

            I have removed Joseph from the list. We had this same problem in the
            past.

            Executive Director
            Institute for Religious Research
            Online: http://www.irr.org
            Blog: http://www.religiousresearcher.org/blog

            --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Harry McFarland"
            <mcfarland.harry@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > accepted Christ, I would have taken my own life.
            > > Tony and I took two different paths in our lives.
            > > God helped me choose the narrow path while Tony
            > > chose the wide and easy path.
            > >

            > > "Enter the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and
            > > broad is the way that leads to destruction, and
            > > there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is
            > > the gate and difficult is the way which leads to
            > > life, and there are few who find it." Matthew
            > > 7:13-14 (NKJV)
            > >

            > > So I hated life, because the work that is done under
            > > the sun was grievous to me. All of it is meaningless,
            > > a chasing after the wind. Ecclesiastes 2:17
            > >

            > > Copyright - CHEMISTRY (CHristian E-mail MIniSTRY)
            > > E-mail: JosephYLee@...
            > > Website - http://www.josephylee.org

            > > AOL Search: Your one stop for directions, recipes and all other

          • Harry McFarland
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 14, 2008
              Kudos to you.