The Narrow and Wide Paths by Joseph Y. Lee

  • josephylee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3 2:44 PM

      The Narrow and Wide Paths

      Matthew 7:13-14

      Hello, I am Joseph Yosuk Lee. In 1994, I graduated from the University of California at Berkeley as a physics and applied math major. In 1997, I also graduated from UCI in the materials science and engineering department with a Master's degree, and I play the piano and violin.

      I was very devastated when I was an undergraduate at Berkeley. I realized that I was not as intelligent as I thought, and I had a lot of pride. I was one of the top students at high school. At college, I was average. While I was struggling with a B average, my electrical engineer friend Tony made a 97% on the midterm. I, myself, received a 70% average on that same exam, and even my professor made a mistake in his own midterm. My professor is an intelligent man when he is a physics professor at Cal-Berkeley. Despite this, I felt that Tony could easily surpass him, although Tony was an electrical engineer and computer science major. While I did not have the faintest clue how to solve any of my 7 physics problems, he could easily solve all of the problems in the textbook spending only three hours per chapter.

      I was very hurt, as well as humbled. I thought that my greatest friends were my GPA, test scores, and professors' recommendations until I met Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ became my best friend and He loved me so much that He gave His life for me.

           You are My friends if you do what I [Jesus] command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business.  Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I have learned from My Father I have made known to you.  John 15:14-15 (NIV)

      There are many stories of mothers dying while giving birth to their children. There are also many stories of men dying for their comrades in a war by throwing their bodies on top of a grenade. However, Jesus died for sinners like myself, for strangers like myself, and for the rest of us, who are chosen. He did it because He loves all of us as His friends. Grades and academics cannot love you nor I. Only the Lord can do that. I depended so much on my happiness on school that I became miserable when I was not doing well. At Berkeley, I was alone and did not have many friends. I used to believe that school was far more important than family, friends, people, and my own life. I almost wanted to use some illegal drugs so that I could enhance my school performance. When I was at the bottom of my life, I finally accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior during a church retreat at the mountains of Santa Cruz. I gave my testimony about my bitter life telling every brother in a circle that I study a lot and that my parents were disappointed in me when I did not make it to MIT or Harvard. After we left the circle, I talked to my pastor outside in the dark and cried on his shoulders during one Saturday night on October 20, 1990, and he comforted me.

      After I accepted Jesus Christ, I finally gave up my pride. I really wanted to share my faith with Tony and I realized that it was too late. Tony killed himself by jumping off the Holiday Inn Hotel at Emeryville, California. To this day, I do not know why he did it. All I know is that if I had not accepted Christ, I would have taken my own life. Tony and I took two different paths in our lives. God helped me choose the narrow path while Tony chose the wide and easy path.

      So I hated life, because the work that is done under the sun was grievous to me.  All of it is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.  Ecclesiastes 2:17 (NIV)

      “Enter the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.” Matthew 7:13-14 (NKJV)

      Copyright - CHEMISTRY (CHristian E-mail MIniSTRY)

      Phone: (408) 935-8959, E-mail: JosephYLee@...,  Website - http://www.josephylee.org

    • Don Malin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3 8:53 PM
        Thank you for your testimony. Always awesome when the Lord changes people. I'm sorry for your friend.

        In Jesus,

        Don

        josephylee@... wrote:

[...]

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Roy Wayne Tobias
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 21, 2004
          "Enter the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way
          that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.
          Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to
          life, and there are few who find it." Matthew 7:13-14 (NKJV)

          Hello,

          Question: Which is the narrow gate and which is the broad gate?

          The path tailored to the individual?

          Or the cookie cutter approach of religion?

          We know the Gate is Christ(John 10:7).

          It seems to me the doctrine of faith alone is a broad gate, not the
          narrow and difficult Way. Or could me be talking about something
          other than resurrection here?

          Peace be your path and love the lamp at your feet,
          Tobiah.
        • Don Malin
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 21, 2004
            Roy,

            "Broadly Speaking" :) Faith in Christ Alone is what save you. Actually, it is not our faith but Christ who save you. When we recognize our total inability to do anything for our salvation then our simply looking to Jesus as the one who paid for our sins completely and His righteousness as reckoned or accounted mine, then I  have Eternal Life.
            It is hard for anyone to realize our inability. We tend to think I have to do something to merit my acceptance with God. But there is nothing I or anyone can do to merit being in God's presence forever. Luke 17:10, "So you too, when you do all the things which are commanded you, say, "We are unworthy slaves; we have done only that which we ought to have done."   Yes, we all owe God complete, 100% obedience from the time we are born till we die.  We cannot EVER think wrongly or feel wrongly or do wrongly. But Jesus also tells us in Mark 7:21-23, "For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed the evil thoughts, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries, deeds of coveting and wickedness, as well as deceit, sensualtiy, envy, slander, pride and foolishness, 'All these things proceed from within and defile the man."
            Our heart is against us unless it is changed. It isn't changed by our obedience to Christ perse, apart from Faith in Him which comes from Him (Ephesians 2:1-10).  Our behavior is changed when our Heart is changed. We must be Born again or from above...this is God's work. (Justification)

            The broad gate is our own way  even colored with a little religion, ie.,,head knowledge of Jesus.  The true believer who acknowledges his complete dependance on God with thankfulness seeks to follow Him. His or her whole life is one big ThankYou . We thank Him by our desire and actions (Sanctification)

            Blessings,

            Don

            Roy Wayne Tobias <tobiah8dc@...> wrote:
            "Enter the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way
            that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.
            Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to
            life, and there are few who find it." Matthew 7:13-14 (NKJV)

            Hello,

            Question: Which is the narrow gate and which is the broad gate?

            The path tailored to the individual?

            Or the cookie cutter approach of religion?

            We know the Gate is Christ(John 10:7).

            It seems to me the doctrine of faith alone is a broad gate, not the
            narrow and difficult Way. Or could me be talking about something
            other than resurrection here?

            Peace be your path and love the lamp at your feet,
            Tobiah.

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Robert Bowman
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 21, 2004
              Roy,

              With regard to Matthew 7:13-14, you asked:

              << Question: Which is the narrow gate and which is the broad gate?

              The path tailored to the individual?

              Or the cookie cutter approach of religion?

              We know the Gate is Christ (John 10:7). >>

              In the context of Jesus' statement in Matthew 7:13-14, the narrow gate is
              following Christ and his words rather than the words of false prophets, some
              of whom claim to represent Christ (Matt. 7:15-27).

              You wrote:

              << It seems to me the doctrine of faith alone is a broad gate, not the
              narrow and difficult Way. Or could me be talking about something other than
              resurrection here? >>

              Jesus says that the way to life is narrow, not that it is difficult _per
              se_. The doctrine of "faith alone" (_sola fide_) is not to be confused with
              easy-believism, the doctrine that to be saved one needs merely to agree
              intellectually with the right doctrines. _Sola fide_ means that God alone
              can save us and our only hope for salvation is therefore to trust in his
              provision, his means of saving us. This is a narrow way because it excludes
              all forms of salvation by self-improvement; it excludes salvation by doing
              your best. In a sense, this is "easy"--but for many people it is really
              quite difficult. They have to give up their high opinion of themselves as
              already good enough for God. They have to trust in Christ alone, even if
              that alienates them from others.

              In Christ's service,

              Robert M. Bowman, Jr.
              Center for Biblical Apologetics
              Online: http://www.biblicalapologetics.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 21, 2004
                The narrow gate is the path that folowers of Jesus find. Jesus was speaking to the Nation of Israel. Believers in God and a dedicated people. They were on the broad road and needed to get on the narrow road.They needed to follow Jesus. Most didn't. That is why the use of "many" is so important. Because in the later verses such as VS 22,the use of "many" who call him "Lord" is an indicator that most are on the wrong road even though they believe they are following Christ.

                KJV Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat

                Note "Many" only a "few" find the narrow road, let alone walk it.

                KJV Matthew 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it

                Then he points to those who believe they have found it, but obviously have either stepped off or only thought they had found it.

                KJV Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

                Note the word "many" again? Both accounts are directed at "believers in God" as it were, not unbelievers.