RE: [biblicalapologetics] was generational curse, now "federalism"

  • Tim Daniels
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 24, 2004
      Message
      Sorry, living on the west coast so I jump in a little later in the morning!
      I think both Don and Lenny have said it well.  With Adam as our representative/federal head, his guilt becomes our guilt and the consequence of that guilt--a sin nature--becomes our consequence as well, just as with Christ as our representative we inherit His righteousness and its consequence--justification.  When Christ returns we will also inherit his perfect nature (the human, not the divine).
      I would also suggest that neither the seminal nor the federal view was "developed for protecting the teaching that Jesus was born free from sin."  Rather, both were attempts to explain the passing on of the sin nature in a manner that is consistent with the explicit teaching of Christ's sinlessness--a "horse before the cart" issue, but perhaps this is what you meant anyway.
      As one who embraces the federal theory, I do not agree with the Orthodox position.  Romans 5:12-15 states that all men died because all men participated in Adam's one sin.  Thus, all men bear the guilt as well as the corruption.

      Tim Daniels