Matthew 26:39, against Christ's two natures

  • Dave Wave
    Message 1 of 61 , May 28, 2007
      Matthew 26:39 --
      "And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His
      face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it is
      possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I
      will, but as Thou wilt."

      Question: How much of Jesus said the "not as I will"
      part? Only his human nature, only his divine nature,
      or both?

      He is one person, isn't he? His natures aren't mixed,
      but harmoniously united, right? Jesus IS "god and
      man, in completeness", right?

      Then what exactly is wrong with saying Jesus was
      speaking BOTH as God AND as a man, at the same time,
      there in Matthew 26:39?

      --- Dave

      ____________________________________________________________________________________Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
    • Dave Wave
      Message 61 of 61 , Sep 20, 2007
        --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "wglmp"
        <mtillman@...> wrote:

        > >>He'd wish the death penalty on anybody who was
        "detestable"<<

        > Not really part of this conversation, but you might
        remember that God
        > judges justly, and accepts repentence (see the Book
        of Job and the
        > case of Ninevah).

        Since we agree that God punishes out of hope to bring
        a change of heart, we can assume that when God sends
        punishment, he is looking for a change of heart.
        ================
        Ezekiel 8, NASB --
        15 And He said to me, "Do you see this, son of man?
        Yet you will see still greater abominations than
        these."
        16 Then He brought me into the inner court of the LORD
        's house. And behold, at the entrance to the temple of
        the LORD, between the porch and the altar, were about
        twenty-five men with their backs to the temple of the
        LORD and their faces toward the east; and they were
        prostrating themselves eastward toward the sun.
        17 And He said to me, "Do you see this, son of man? Is
        it too light a thing for the house of Judah to commit
        the abominations which they have committed here, that
        they have filled the land with violence and provoked
        Me repeatedly? For behold, they are putting the twig
        to their nose.
        18 "Therefore, I indeed shall deal in wrath. My eye
        will have no pity nor shall I spare; and though they
        cry in My ears with a loud voice, yet I shall not
        listen to them."
        ============

        We can also safely assume that many of those who
        endured this punishment, cried out not just because of
        the punishment itself, but also because the punishment
        made them realize the error of their way.

        Unfortunately, God specifically says that he will not
        listen to their cries.

        This then is a case of God sending punishment and
        making up his mind not to listen to any cries that
        result, when in fact it's no great leap to assume some
        of those crying did so in real repentence.

        http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html