Another topic suggestion - Christ as the Creator

  • huntrgathrer
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 17, 2007
      In the past in other forums, I have made the statement that the
      scriptures teach that Christ was the Personage that created this
      world and all things in it. I used the text in John 1: 1 thru 14 to
      make my case. I ask all who read this post to take a moment to read
      these verses now.

      I believe that anyone with a speck of objectivity in their thinking
      who will take the time to read these verses (I again urge any reader
      to do so, if you haven't already, at this time - I will not take the
      trouble to type them here) will be compelled to agree with me, that
      this conclusion is virtually unescapable. The creation was indeed,
      accomplished by and through Jesus Christ.

      Some want to take these very plain scriptures and convolute them in
      such a way as to deny the obvious clear truth that Christ was with
      the Father at the time of creation, that He was part of the Godhead
      and thus, divine, and that "all things were made by him" and
      that "without him was not anything made that was made", because this
      truth does not "jive" with their theological beliefs. So, as man is
      won't to do, if the scriptures don't agree with his preconceptions,
      then the scriptures must be massaged until they mean something other
      that what they clearly state.

      If further proof is needed, I offer the following:

      Col. 1: 14 - 19

      14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness
      of sins;

      15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every
      creature;

      16 For BY HIM WERE ALL THINGS CREATED, THAT ARE IN HEAVEN, AND THAT
      ARE IN THE EARTH,visible and invisible, wether they be thrones, or
      dominions, or principalities, or powers; ALL THINGS WERE CREATED BY
      HIM, AND FOR HIM.

      17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

      18 and he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning,
      the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the
      preeminence.

      19 for it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell.

      The person being discussed above in beyond any question Christ - and
      the scriptures indicate beyond any question that all things were
      created by Him and for Him.

      I challange anyone to find a way to twist the clear meaning of the
      above scriptures to deny the fact that they state beyond any question
      that Christ was the Person who was Creator. I believe He did so in
      accordance with the desires of the Father, for it has always been His
      desire to do all things in accordance with His Father's will - but
      nonetheless, it was clearly Christ who was the one doing the creating.

      Another reference:
      Heb. 1:1-2

      1 God, who at sundry times and in diverse manners spake in time past
      unto the fathers by the prophets,

      2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath
      appointed heir of all things, BY WHOM ALSO HE MADE THE WORLDS;

      I use this topic, as a case in point. So many times in these
      discussion groups, I run into this same phenominon. You can show
      someone irrefutable proof that the scriptures say something, but due
      to the fact that to accept it would upset the applecart of the
      theology that others have concocted, they will NOT concede that they
      are wrong...no matter how obvious it is that they are.

      I know that I am at least willing to consider the possibility that
      someone else may have an understanding that I don't - and that I
      might benifit from seeing a different point of view. It might be
      uncomfortable for me to consider that I don't have it all figured
      out - and it might make me have to re-appraise my theology in order
      to incorporate a new understanding. But I am willing to accept the
      fact that I COULD be wrong on some point of doctrine or another.

      I am continuously amazed, however, at how many people I have met in
      these forums that are completely incapable of cedeing even the
      smallest point, when debating theology. Such ridgid thinking is not
      willing or able to recieve further enlightenment. Such a person will
      never progress in understanding.

      In Him,
      HG
    • Patrick Navas
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 17, 2007
        For those of you on this forum who haven't see it: I published a book on the doctrine of the Trinity:

        Divine Truth or Human Tradition? A Reconsideration of the Roman Catholic-Protestant Doctrine of the Trinity in Light of the Hebrew and Christian Scriptures.

        Check out the website if you are interested. The introduction and first chapter are available online at the site.

        Best wishes to all,

        Patrick Navas
      • huntrgathrer
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 17, 2007
          Hi Patrick , HG here - nice to meet you, so to speak. I will take
          advantage of reading the introduction and first chapter of your book
          at time permits. I have read a number of your posts from the
          archives, and I think I have a "read" on your basic views on this
          subject. I, like you, am not a proponent of the classical view of the
          Triune nature of God, as promoted by the RCC and the "mainstream"
          protestant denominations...but I do not go to the other extreme, and
          deny the divinity of Christ.

          I believe that the Godhead consists of three distict and individual
          Beings - known to us as 1- God the Father, 2- His Son, Jesus Christ,
          and 3- a yet seperate, and little understood Personage the scriptures
          speak of enigmatically, as "the Holy Spirit".

          Collectively, these three Beings can rightly be referred to as "God" -
          indeed, even seperately, due to their exalted station, each can in a
          sense also be referred to as "God" by us mere mortals.But the problem
          crops up in so doing, that many who try to grasp these truths forget
          or loose track of this one over-riding truth....that ultimately, it
          is ALSO true that God the Father is in fact the "ONE TRUE GOD".
          Even Christ and the Personage known as the Holy Spirit are in fact
          subservient to the Father - always have been, and always will be,
          throughout eternity past, present, and future.

          I know that some will claim that I am teaching a plurality of gods,
          by espousing this doctrine. Be that as it may, I firmly believe that
          the nature of the Godhead is just as I have thus portrayed it, and
          that the arguement that such attackers use against me is merely one
          of semantics.

          These Three are indeed "One" - in that they operate in concert to do
          the will of the Supreme One (The Father). They act as One - they are
          ONE -in purpose -yet they are, and always have been, seperate in
          Being. But man has made the mistake of attempting to somehow "merge"
          all three of these into an inexplainable and confusing "composite"
          single "Being" -without parts - an inconcievable God that I do not
          believe in.

          Is the Godhead, as I have described it, still a mystery? Yes. Do I or
          anyone else FULLY understand it? No. We mortals cannot and will not,
          while in mortality fully be able to comprehend all the things of God
          in their entire-ity. But the understanding that I am espousing of the
          distict and seperate nature of these Three Members of the Godhead,
          offers the only logical way for us to understand the scriptures...for
          the Bible in its entire-ity, confirms that this understanding of the
          individual members of the Godhead, that I am espousing, is the
          correct one and will "make sense" throughout the scriptures, if they
          read with such an understanding.

          Of course, thats just my opinion...I could be wrong. ;-)

          In Him,
          HG

          --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Navas
          <patrick_navas@...> wrote:

          > For those of you on this forum who haven't see it: I published a
          book on the doctrine of the Trinity:

          > Divine Truth or Human Tradition? A Reconsideration of the Roman
          Catholic-Protestant Doctrine of the Trinity in Light of the Hebrew
          and Christian Scriptures.

          > Check out the website if you are interested. The introduction and
          first chapter are available online at the site.

          > http://divinetruth.homestead.com/index.html
          >
          > Best wishes to all,
          >
          > Patrick Navas

        • Patrick Navas
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 19, 2007
            Hi HG,

            Thank you for the note. And thank you for sharing your views. I appreciate your humble approach to the subject. Of course, I believe that the classical teaching on the Trinity is a serious mistake (a wrong interpretation of the Bible), but I think it is an even greater mistake to teach that acceptance of this doctrines is required for salvation itself. It is one thing to say, "I believe in the Trinity because I sincerely think it is the best way to explain the biblical information." It is another thing to say, "you have to believe in the Trinity (an interpretation) in order to be saved. If you don't you're going to hell." Those who take this position have no scriptural warrant whatsoever.

            Patrick Navas
          • huntrgathrer
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 19, 2007
              Hi Patrick - I agree wholeheartedly with what you wrote below. It is
              not right for any one who believes in Christ, to imply that another
              person, who also believes in Him and is honestly trying to follow
              Him, is not saved. Especially over such doctrinal differences such as
              this one, or which day is the correct day to observe as the Sabbath,
              for another example.

              These attitudes appear far too often in groups such as these, and
              they drive us apart, rather than bring us into fellowship. We should
              be able to disagree, without trying to condemn each other into the
              flames of hell. ;-)

              I hope you don't think I'm just trying to "butter you up" by saying
              this, but I want to mention to you that I have almost finished
              reading your first chapter....and I am very impressed. Not only with
              the content, but also with your writing skills.

              I wanted to be a writer - and took quite a few courses to that end,
              when I was in college. I won't tell my age, but suffice it to say
              that in those days, we used quills and ink wells (just kidding).

              You are indeed a polished professional writer, in my estimation.
              Was this your first book? (I should probably know the answer to this,
              if I had checked for this info on your site).

              <patrick_navas@...> wrote:

              > Hi HG,
              >
              > Thank you for the note. And thank you for sharing your views. I
              appreciate your humble approach to the subject. Of course, I believe
              that the classical teaching on the Trinity is a serious mistake (a
              wrong interpretation of the Bible), but I think it is an even greater
              mistake to teach that acceptance of this doctrines is required for
              salvation itself. It is one thing to say, "I believe in the Trinity
              because I sincerely think it is the best way to explain the biblical
              information." It is another thing to say, "you have to believe in the
              Trinity (an interpretation) in order to be saved. If you don't you're
              going to hell." Those who take this position have no scriptural
              warrant whatsoever.

              > Patrick Navas

            • Patrick Navas
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 20, 2007
                HG,

                Thank you for the encouraging words regarding my book. It is my first book. I don't know if I'll ever write another one. But I've thought about writing something on "Calvinism," another subject I'm interested in.

                I'm so glad you enjoyed the first chapter. You can also read chapter 6 which appears on the resources page of my website if you are intersested (The 'I am' statements of the Gospel of John)

                Stay in touch,

                Patrick Navas