What exactly DOES this bible verse mean, then?

  • Dave Wave
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2006
      " The lot is cast into the lap; But the whole
      disposing thereof is of Jehovah. " (Proverbs 16:33,
      NASB)

      "The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision
      is from the LORD." (NIV)
      --------

      Conservative Christians are quick to say that the
      Proverbs do not speak about absolute truths guaranteed
      to come true every time you do them.

      Ok, fine.

      So then what does Proverbs 16:33 actually mean then?

      If it means that SOME of the results of lots cast, are
      from God, and doesn't give you any way to discern
      which of the casted lots are the ones that show God's
      will, then obviously Proverbs 16:33 is quite a useless
      piece of info in the bible, profitable neither for
      doctrine, nor proof, nor correction, nor instruction
      in righteousness, contributing nothing to the man of
      God being completely equipped, amen?

      And if there is ANY truth to this verse, then it must
      be that God answers through the casting of lots, at
      least sometimes.

      That being the case, shouldn't the bible then give us
      a way to distinguish God's answer from among the
      casted lots? If God answers through any lot cast, it
      would sure be nice to know which lot it was, eh?

      What use is the casting of lots 10 times, when there
      is nothing in the bible to tell you how you may know
      which of the cast lots was the answer from God?

      Of course, you can escape this ridiculous problem by
      taking back your belief that the Proverbs don't offer
      absolute guarantees.

      However, by adopting the view that they ARE absolute
      guarantees, then you would have to explain why those
      absolute guarantees only show up sporadically among
      those who obey it's precepts.

      My take on the matter is that the ancient people who
      wrote the Proverbs, did not think through their
      beliefs very far. Should they encounter a person who
      obeyed correctly a proverb, but didn't recieve the
      promise it offered, this was of little concern to
      them. They'd probably, just like Christians do today,
      insist that if you didn't recieve the promise, then
      it's because you didn't "really" obey the instruction.

      If my analysis is correct, then the dudes who gave you
      Proverbs, made the same exact legalistic mistakes you
      see in most conservative churches; namely, If you
      didn't recieve the promise, then you must not have
      obeyed, or there must be secret sin in your life.
      After all, God's word never fails, but people do.

      Can you imagine if I told somebody the corner of my
      table will cure their depression, if they just pray to
      it? They pray to it, tell me they are still
      depressed, and then I answer them the way Christians
      often answer each other, i.e., "you didn't do it
      right". That answer cannot be refuted.

      Now then, just keep praying to the corner of my table.
      When it feels that you are sincere, then it wil cure
      you of all your depression. BY the way, this is a
      proverb, so don't expect any guarantees :) (wow, does
      you a lot of good now, eh?)

      --- Dave

      Sponsored Link

      Free Uniden 5.8GHz Phone System with Packet8 Internet Phone Service
      http://www.getpacket8.net/yahoo2